New studio unveils PC-exclusive FPS, Hard Reset

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

With so many game makers shifting their primary focus to consoles, it's not every day that we hear about a major PC-exclusive title. Whether it's lower piracy rates, an easier development process or a combination of circumstances, many once-loyal PC developers have all but abandoned our beloved platform. Fortunately, there are still a few brave souls sticking true to their roots, and one such team has just unveiled a new project.

Called "Hard Reset," it represents the debut title of Flying Wild Hog, a new 35-person studio comprised of industry veterans from People Can Fly, CD Projekt Red and City Interactive -- the same folks who brought you The Witcher 2, Bulletstorm, Painkiller, Sniper and more. It's unclear how long the group has been toiling away at the new IP, but they reportedly plan to have it on store shelves only two months from now in September.

Classified as a dark sci-fi first-person shooter, Hard Reset takes place in a futuristic dystopian world where humanity is on the verge of extinction after being occupied by a robotic force. Players step in the boots of combat veteran Major Fletcher as he defends humanity's last remaining city, Bezoar. Besides that tidbit, the above teaser and some screenshots, details are scant, but you can expect tons of info to surface in the coming weeks.

Permalink to story.

A very intereseting tidbit is that if you go to the site, you will see some scrolling code on the left side. What's cool is that it is real code and it's written in Java! The code listed is the 'HardReset.java' class and contains some interesting info for the rest of us nerds. To date, I don't know of any released major game that is written in Java instead of C++. If this code is at all real, then this may be one of the first legitimate Java games! It's a good bet that they are using OpenGL either through LWJGL or JOGL.

Hell, I'll buy from them just to support PC gaming. That teaser (even though it was about the shortest teaser I've seen) was damn good looking though. :)

TomSEA said:
Hell, I'll buy from them just to support PC gaming. That teaser (even though it was about the shortest teaser I've seen) was damn good looking though. :)

This.

cliffordcooley said:
Would it be safe to say this will be a DX11 title?

Regardless though, I am still interested! :)
Proably not if they're using Java (see my post above). It'd be OpenGL 4.1 most likely.

Buyin it. Just due to the fact that its pc exclusive and I am damn tired of the copy paste COD franchise and all the new to gaming newbs it has been raking in and the fact that BF3 wont be on Steam which is a fail logic. That or im getting Arma III

Would it be safe to say this will be a DX11 title?

Regardless though, I am still interested! :)
Proably not if they're using Java (see my post above). It'd be OpenGL 4.1 most likely.
Nope, OpenGL ES 2.0. Nothing stunning, it's something like DirectX 9 regards to the features.

I really hope this doesn't have some stupid DRM, the day it comes out and I get the report that it doesn't have a stupid DRM system (I don't mind entering the code on the back of the manual but anything that hinders the playability or requires internet connection I feel is a step to far) then I will buy this game just to stand up for what I believe in, that PC gaming will always be around and as long as the company's make smart decisions to make games solely for pc and it doesn't destroy my pc with DRM systems then i am all for buying this, that and the trailer may be short but it actually looks like a promising game, plus the people making it sounds like a bunch of guys who make good games, not just in it for the money if you know what i mean.

Looks a bunch of developers with pretty good credentials although one of the outfits mentioned, i.e. City Interactive, is better known for its budget FPS titles. These guys do deserve our support for working on a PC-exclusive title with an intriguing storyline to boot although the title does bring back memories from the days of Windows 3x and Windows 9x when you had press that tiny button in front of your case in order to reset your PC because Windows had BSOD'ed or just plain frozen.

I really hope it's a DX11 game. After the Crisis 2 and Witcher 2 let down and this game looking epic it would be sad to see another DX9 release. I keep being being reminded of the family guy joke, "We have the technology, but we don't want to spend a lot of money".

I'll buy so long as they don't pull the Day 1 DLC and extra maps DLC bullshit.

Can I please buy a game and actually get all the content in one game?

Back