New System, Need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy

I'm thinking about assambling a new computer next month or so.

This is what i would put in:

• - Motherbord : P4P800 Deluxe
    - Cpu : Pentium 4 3000 Mhz, 512 KB cache, FSB 800 Mhz _
    - Cpu-Cooler : Zalman CNPS7000-Cu
    - Ram : 2x DDR module 512 Mb - PC3200
    - PSU : ThermalTake Silent PurePower 420W Dual Fan PSU
Things I already Have :

• - GF FX 5600 256MB DDR
    - Soundblaster Audigy 2
    - 80GB IBM Deskstar
    - 120 GB Maxtor
    - Writer and DVD-rom
I never really chose the parts myself for a "good" system only for low budget pc's(parents and sister), so this is the best i could come up with :slurp: for a resonable price.

Don't know if this setup is any good so COMMENTS are welcom:D

that system looks good to me - will play any game you throw at it no problem - and will probebly do anything else you ask it aswell....
just a thought - if you are building a budget system - why not go with AMD?

Steg

p.s. good choise on CPU cooler :D (see below)

consider getting 2 sticks of low latency (Kingston HyperX, Corsair xMS, TwinMos...) 256mb ddr for the same price as the setup you are considering. they have better performance and oc better. 1gb is overkill neways

To awnser the question of Steg. I've always used intel, always been happy with it. So I'm going to stick with it:D

It isn't a very huge difference in price, for a amd 3200+ I would have to pay 450euro and for the intel 525euro. And also i wouldn't have the 800Mhz FSB.
I'm a student informatics and next year(a bit this year) we will have to render allot of things so also because of that my chose of intel.

Hmm and for the ram, I dont know exually:confused: , allot of my friends have 1024mb ram. Thats exually why i ask here:grinthumb. Do you think it would be better with 512mb?

At least I'm sure about one thing, the cooler. It has to be quit!!!

So? Would 512mb ram be better, or should i stick with the 1024?

Greets Crazy,

well, more RAM is always better but you do hit a point where you wonder about overkill.

i dont find 1gb to be overkill though.

i would choose 512mb low latency any day, im a gamer

EDIT: if you play battlefield or do intensive graphic rendering you should stick with 1 gig

When assembling it, make the Maxtor HD the primary one.
Use the IBM Deathstar (aptly renamed by someone else) only for unimportant stuff!
I had 5 (five!) of them all dying within 2 months. I then switched over to Seagate Barracuda (very quiet and reliable).

Originally posted by realblackstuff
Use the IBM Deathstar (aptly renamed by someone else) only for unimportant stuff!
I had 5 (five!) of them all dying within 2 months. I then switched over to Seagate Barracuda (very quiet and reliable).
Some older IBM drives had reliability problems due to the heads becoming stuck to the platers when idling for long periods.

All drives since those old 60GXP and 75GXP series have head ramps that park the heads during idle. Those poor reliability problems were eradicated years ago, and todays drives are some of the most reliable available. Check out the user statistics database at Storage Review if you want to know more.

The 120GXP series, newer 180GXP,and latest 7K250 series Deskstars are one of the top drives for reliabilty and performance. Seagate are also very reliable, but performance sucks, and newer drives are noisier than IBM's (now Hitachi) latest drives.

The 7K250 Hitachi drives have one of the lowest power consumption figures in the industry, which means less heat and even greater reliability. They are also the current performance leaders (except for the Western Digital Raptor 10,000rpm models).

That link only mentions 60GXP and 75GXP drives, much as I previously mentioned. I own nine 180GXP series drives and only had one that was defective (after about three weeks). I previously owned several Maxtor drives (four) and lost two of those. Other user opionions differ from your experience (check out the user reliability survey database over at Storage Review), so I can only guess that the problems you have had are certainly not the norm. The 120GXP series and later are some of the most reliable drives around, according to figures on that database, and my experience certainly confirms this. Maybe your drives were mishandled prior to you receiving them.

Here are some stats taken from a French online site ( I won't put the name so don't ask ;) )

Percentage of RAMed disks compared to amount sold.

Taken from -> http://www.hardware.fr/html/news/?date=31-10-2002#5275

Disks IDE 7200 rpm 20 Go :

Seagate : 1.3% (448)
Western Digital : 8.8% (1506)

Disks IDE 7200 rpm 40 Go :

Seagate : 1.6% (7643)
Maxtor : 1.9% (8052)
IBM 120GXP : 3.1% (4790)
Western Digital : 7.2% (1726)
IBM 60 GXP : 22.9% (1068)

Disks IDE 7200 rpm 60 Go :

Seagate : 0.7% (284)
IBM 120 GXP : 2.5% (722)
Maxtor : 2.5% (1791)
Western Digital : 8.6% (490)
IBM 60 GXP : 16.1% (932)

Disks IDE 7200 rpm 80 Go :

Seagate : 2.4% (1248)
IBM 120 GXP : 2.8% (2131)
Western Digital : 3.1% (1676)
Maxtor : 3.3% (2060)

Disks IDE 7200 rpm 120 Go :

Western Digital Special Edition : 3.0% (132)
IBM 120 GXP : 3.1% (708)
Western Digital 100 Go : 4.3% (470)
Western Digital : 5% (120)

Taken from -> http://www.hardware.fr/html/news/?date=17-06-2003#5852

Disks IDE 7200 rpm 80 Go :

- IBM 120GXP : 2.73% (586)
- IBM 180GXP : 3.26% (1780)
- Maxtor DM+9 2 Mo : 1.63% (6399)
- Maxtor DM+9 8 Mo : 3.08% (260)
- Seagate ATA V : 1.7% (1500)
- Seagate ATA V SATA : 0% (272)
- Western WD800JB : 0.98% (410)
- Western WD800BB : 1.63% (1593)

Disks IDE 7200 rpm 120 Go :

- IBM 180GXP 2 Mo : 1.71% (934)
- IBM 180GXP 8 Mo : 2.2% (726)
- Maxtor DM+9 2 Mo : 1.5% (2193)
- Maxtor DM+9 8 Mo : 1.76% (560)
- Seagate ATA V 2 Mo : 0% (194)
- Seagate ATA V 8 Mo : 0.98% (204)
- Seagate ATA V SATA 8 Mo : 1.96% (102)
- Western WD1200BB : 2.3% (408)
- Western WD1200JB : 2.94% (174)

Disks IDE 7200 rpm 200 Go :

- Maxtor DM+9 8 Mo : 8.7% (138)
- Western WD2000JB : 0% (100)

All the way 'til last year, it's clear IBM had a problem with its 60GXP series. This year, the 180 & 120GXP aren't worse then other brands. No reason to keep away from IBM/HITACHI.

Nice to see some data to get a feel for the situation as it currently stands.

Those results are pretty similar to those seem at Storage Review, and seem to indicate that most manufacturers have fairly similar reliability for their hardware.

I guess its not much fun if you happy to be unlucky and get more than your fair share of defective units. That can happen to anyone. Besides Hitachi's latest 7K250 series seem to be coming tops for performance in all the reviews right now (except for WD Raptors). Seagate are tops for reliability, though performance is poor.

It would be an awesome system, other then the videocard :blackeye: The 5600 really doesnt pull what you'd probably expect with the rest of your system specs. If you sell your 5600, I would do that, then go 512MB of RAM, and put your left over RAM money + VC money, and get a 9800XT. If you cant.. o'well, its still a good PC.

Ok, number 1 dont buy IBM drives. The one your looking at might be ok but specifically look out for any IBM/Hitachi drives. They have a tendency to not work (ever).

And 1GB of RAM is overkill right now unless you are working with graphic/video/sound editing. The most important thing right now is your video card, processor, motherboard, and other aspects of your system.

But, if you can afford an extra 512MB, then go for it. It can't hurt.

Originally posted by acidosmosis
Ok, number 1 dont buy IBM drives. The one your looking at might be ok but specifically look out for any IBM/Hitachi drives. They have a tendency to not work (ever).
Get a grip! Read the rest of the thread before posting this type of lunatic nonscence .:eek:
The rest of your post was fine. ;)

lmao, however lets not get a flame war started here guys :D

however acid your post made about Zero sence *the one above this not the other one that Nic dissagreed about* (think about it.. your here doin the same thing he is ;))

Yea, well I'm sick of _______'s in here and the IRC room being little panty wads, immature, asinine, lame little trolls that need to get a life pretty much.

You all complain about every single thing someone does, how someone posts, what someones opinion is, that someone is complaining, bla bla bla... I mean, jesus. All of you need to get a life actually. Your all very sad. (Not you Agissi). Get the hell along wtih each other and quit bitching about pathetic B.S. and be helpful for once without having an attitude or talking behind someones back. (Among the other B.S. you guys spout out your mouths).

I started talking here because I though this forum didn't put up with the lame attitudes and B.S. that others did and because everyone was more mature, but you know what the truth is? You all are just as immature and pathetic but instead of letting it show you speak about people on the forums behind their backs, act like lame little know it all wannabe God's (Soul that means you), and think your above everyone else cause you apparently know everything. Jesus christ if your gonna be a ***** act like it in public and dont hide it, then everyone can see you for what you really are.

You guys need to chill. This type of thing is the very reason that many members have stopped coming to the forums.
If you guys have problems with eachother, take it up via PM or other means, don't clutter threads with this dribble.

6thsensestupidpeople.jpg

Storm, I would also like to mention that your one of the people that share some of these certain "qualitys" that I've mentioned. Don't even try to sound like your exempt. Your not one of the largest ones but your not part of the solution when your part of the problem (even though you do maintain a "decent" maturity level on the forums "most" of the time).

BTW Storm, the reason people are leaving is because the lame B.S. doesn't stop but it continues and the ones of you that think you are better than everyone else are some of the PRIME ones causing problems.

But anyway, nothing I can say shall do any good, so I won't wasting my time anymore, probably in here (the forums) nor the IRC chatroom.

Peace out, you guys have fun talking behind each others backs, being the God's of all that is, and thinking you know it all and are better than the rest of us. Have fun.

OK, I was trying to stop this from becoming another locked thread, but I guess my point was lost.
I guess since I'm part of the problem, I'll refrain from trying to help again.

I was under the impression you people liked this forum, but looks like you won't be happy until every thread is locked because its become a flamewar.

Right, I think its time that I stopped you all right here.

Stop acting like children (all of you!) and post maturely and sensibly.

If you do not, I will delete not just this thread, but every thread you post like this in.

You should all have the ability to disagree and remain civil.

Originally posted by Nic
Get a grip! Read the rest of the thread before posting this type of lunatic nonscence .:eek:
The rest of your post was fine. ;)

I DON'T like that.

Originally posted by acidosmosis
Nic, get a life.

I don't like that either.

Can all of you please try to post with maturity and sense. Its really not hard. Often, one word "misspoken" can lead to a whole flame war. And we are not about that here. Please be very sure about that.

I don't want to see ANY of this sort of thing again. And if I do, I will take action. And I am quite sure that Julio will back that up. Play nice kids, or I will have to ground you all.

ackbar.jpg

"BE SMART! BE POLITE! BE SENSIBLE!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back