New UK mobile phone directory services

AlbertLionheart

Maybe you have heard about this but early next week all UK mobiles (payg & contract) will be on a directory which will mean that anyone will be able to access the numbers. It is easy to unsubscribe but it must be done before the beginning of next week to make sure that you are ex directory. We have all unsubscribed and you may want to suggest it to all your friends and family who have UK mobiles or they could be swamped by unsolicited messages and calls. Removal is recommended by the BBC - see link below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/8091621.stm

Did this myself last night. Double checked it wasn't a scam and it is actually on the bbc website recommending to do this.

The Directory of Mobile Phone numbers goes live next week.
All numbers including those belonging to children will be open to cold calling and the general abuse that less scrupulous telesales people subject us to.

To remove your number go here. (you need your mobile phone with you to do this, they text you a code). If you’re in a RED zone send this mail home and do it from there.

http://www.118800.co.uk/removeme/remove-me.html

When on the site, click "Home" then "Ex-directory" this will remove you from the directory.

You can remove your number from this list, and tell all your friends - especially those with children who have mobile phones. I
personally believe my mobile number is private and I should be able to choose who I give it to - none of us agreed to this when we bought our phones or signed our mobile phone contracts.

it was inevitable , people's info for marketing is bought and sold all over the place these days , you can't solicit products to kids though, cold calling , but all financial transactions , ringtones,etc..., will no doubt be recorded and a product preference profile built up ,and then that will be sold ,

Do you get Rogue Traders where you are? This is a great program and just shows what these people can be like with the elderly!

yea , I've seen them, sometimes even the same guys from a previous episode are at it again , I don't know how the get away with it ! it really bugs me , u never see them getting arrested , surely it falls under the area of fraud!

It is fraud but the law seems to think that caveat emptor has be taken literally, even for the silly and bewildered who are incapable of knowing any better!

the buyer doesn't expect a need to beaware , unfortunately , there must be a strong builders lobby in england , you don't hear much about dodgy building over here , mind u the normal response to a s##t job over here is ' a sure its grand "

there you go ! but I suppose politicians do the same all the time too, promise to do one thing , and do something completely different , even make a b##ls of it and say we'll fix it , blah blah blah , you know.

I do know - and politicians are another breed altogether! It is because that are such s hite leaders that this sort of thing goes on. If they can get away with it, so can anybody else!

Update on this - the website has fallen over as reported elsewhere but I understand that you can text E to 118800 to opt out/deregister or whatever.

I hope this thing dies painfully by falling into a vat of acid in the Frankenstein like lab where it was concocted (along with Phorm and others of its ilk).

Hmmmmm wasn't Ofcom started to stop stuff like this, then agiain they're just another quango designed to pay some politicians friend an obscene salary and not much else.

Back