TechSpot

New video card problem -> computer does not boot after connecting GTS 450

By alwaysab
Dec 3, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,

I have a pentium D 3.4GHZ running on a mercury PI945GCM motherboard.

I recently upgraded my graphics card from ATI radeon HD 2600 to Zotac - 450GTS PCIE 2.0 1GB card

I also bought a cooler master 460W SMPS to support the 6pin input to the card.
    When i connect the card without the additional power i am able to boot from the on board graphics chipset.

however soon as i connect the 6 pin power to the graphics card i am not able to boot at all . the display doesn't come . even bios is not loaded and the computer turns off in 5 - 10 sec

I have checked on my friend's PC that the card and the SMPS are in working condition

Please help
    Thanks
    Abhay
  2. rohnib

rohnib TS Rookie

HElp same problem.

Help i have he same problem and same configuration as yours.
    Did you get your problem solved ??
    i have 450 watts supply.
    still it's not booting please help.
    Vet. ortedid
  3. alwaysab

alwaysab TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes i did get the problem solved. Not a very good solution though.

Apparently my motherboard did not support the graphics card. The chipset was alright but apparently the manufacturer ( Mercury was the problem ) i upgraded to a gigabyte 40m combo ( a decent and cost effective option).

These graphics cards also require a 22V supply . Normal 400-500W Power units do not give that they have only 1 12V supply..

I had to upgrade to a coolermaster 450/500 W supply .. it gives 2 12 V supplies ..

and now it works.. the card is great though :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.