New Xbox 360 uses 45nm chip with combined CPU, GPU

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Months after launching the revamped Xbox 360, Microsoft has detailed the machine's new processor and graphics configuration. The "slim" 360 uses a 45nm SoC called "Vejle" that crams a CPU and GPU onto one piece of silicon. It has 372m transistors, is 50% smaller and draws 60% less power than the original 360's 90nm CPU/GPU combo.

The solution allowed Microsoft to cut production costs because it requires less chips, heatsinks and fans, not to mention a smaller motherboard and power supply. Replacing many components with fewer, more efficient parts leads to less power consumption and heat generation, which inherently means the machine is more quiet and reliable.

None of that is surprising, but Ars notes something that you may not know. Instead of connecting the parts with a speedy internal connection, Vejle has an on-die "FSB replacement block" with the same bandwidth as the bus that connected the CPU and GPU when they were separate. Microsoft bottlenecked the system so it wasn't faster than its predecessors.

Permalink to story.

"Microsoft bottlenecked the system so it wasn't faster than its predecessors."

LOL....and people wonder why PC gamers stick with PC's. ;)

If they released a xbox that would get better performance than the previous ones it would be a disaster. Competitive folks would all buy the new ones, the cheap competitive folks would whine cause they had to buy a new one and there could be development issues. IE: this game plays well on the new xbox 360 but the older models aren't able to play it.

The console world is different, everyone has the same piece of gear and MS would be a douchebag if they released a "upgraded graphics" version. Leave that to the next generation xbox.

That's very true Chazz, and in fact all the statements you mention are the reason why some people still prefer the pc as a gaming machine

but a few games have some lag on the xbox. Why not make it a bit faster. Just a few FPS in games like GTA IV that lags when you drive fast

Damm... 2 years after this and they will be selling "NEW GEN CONSOLE" Slimer that its predessesor and "FASTER".... and will be the sameS**t without the bottleneck... Dirty...but Smart.. Im Still Stuck to my loyal PC!!!

I still have the original X-Box 360, it is gathering dust as a paperweight. The same fate has happened to the ps3 fatboy recently. I don't find console games fun anymore. My preference is toward PC gaming because it is superior in so many ways. Too bad the majority of game producers don't see that.

I game on PC, 360 and PS3 switching between the three. Playing alot of Halo 3 (and 2 via Xlink) ATM. as well as halo PC, getting ready for reach \0/

"Microsoft bottlenecked the system so it wasn't faster than its predecessors."

And this is why console gaming sucks. They release a new machine, but all you get is just a shiny turd instead of an ugly turd. My PC poops out consoles.

PC gaming 4 life.

On the psp sony made the newer models slightly faster than the old fat 1000 series. ( Ex. If you ever played God of War/ N64 emulation then you would know.) It wouldn't have hurt them to give maybe a 2-4 fps boost with the slim. <<<< Smooth out GTA4

Chazz's point is also the reason why some people prefer console gaming. Being on an even playing field is a big draw for me. I still game plenty on PC but am always a couple years behind on hardware. But I do think that "bottle necking" is hard to look at. Just seams like a waste.

Chazz is definitely spot on imo, if Microsoft didn't do this you'd have a lot of angry console gamers. This is one of the reasons why I game more on my PC then 360 for sure...until Reach comes out next month =D.

Is it me, or sony had a faster Slim ps2? the black one was normal but the Silver one had like 4 mb extra ram and the clock for the graphics was 13mhz faster? and the CD drive was slightly quicker when it came to sustained read speed as well. Google it.

Why can't they do the same with this new one? make it only ever so slightly quicker.

I see where Chazz is coming from though, if it was a seriously noticable difference then microsoft would get it in the neck.

Although to davimous that said they play consoles because its more even, well I guess the auto-aim is the same for all players so no need to worry there. And everyones internet connections are obviously identical to so that rules out another problem with that statement.

I play on a Lan frequently on L4D2 with 2 mates, both computers are dead slow compared to mine yet appart from the eye candy I get and the faster load times into the spawn area I don't think its much of an issue?

Your pc poops consoles??, but let take other things into consideration. For example: 1. After putting everything together, how much did your PC cost you??? 2. inorder to run the game of your choice, your pc needs the requirments: Expensive video card, updated video drivers..etc. just to play few pc games, where as consoles they dont need any of that beacuse it is fixed and OPTIMIZED all the time. Now here come the good part. It cost $199 (XBOX360). Where as a PC Gamers Rig will run you about $1500-2000....make sense. Yes, it's true that some players perfere pc gaming because of HI Rez displays,mouse + Keyboard control. I have a decent pc and I dont even play one game onit.

Your pc poops consoles??, but let take other things into consideration. For example: 1. After putting everything together, how much did your PC cost you??? 2. inorder to run the game of your choice, your pc needs the requirments: Expensive video card, updated video drivers..etc. just to play few pc games, where as consoles they dont need any of that beacuse it is fixed and OPTIMIZED all the time. Now here come the good part. It cost $199 (XBOX360). Where as a PC Gamers Rig will run you about $1500-2000....make sense. Yes, it's true that some players perfere pc gaming because of HI Rez displays,mouse + Keyboard control. I have a decent pc and I dont even play one game onit.

LOL at the guy above me, thats the most retarded argument i've read in a while, 1500-2000 for a computer to play games? mate, check your facts first. Also since when have you ever had to upgrade your graphics card for every game "to match the system requirements" ??

I agree the xbox and gettting a console is cheaper, but as a whole? barely. YOU also take in consideration xbox live subscription, battery pack and charger and the double price for games and actually, price wise PC gaming is not much more expensive.

Plus as proven time and time again, PC gamers have far superior skill to even the "best" console players due to the inferior control pad.

Also if you don't play any games on your "decent" PC, how do you know anything about PC gaming?! I own an xbox 360 elite, its not as great as I first thought, played Halo 3 when it came out and now its a really expensive tea mat.

@Chazz - I completely agree. Even though its a bit annoying that M$ bottlenecked the speed, they need to keep all the 360 more or less that same - so its a difference in skill rather than equipment to see who wins - unlike PC gaming....... :D

@realxboxmaster - I built my gaming PC for ~$500 and use it for much more than just gaming. So far I haven't found a game I can't play on at least med-high graphics settings.

@burty117 - PC gamers don't have far superior skill, just better input devices- or so everyone claims - I have to say I still feel like I have better control with a game pad :p, but maybe thats because I will always be a consul gamer at heart :p. And where do you get this double price for games? Brand new PC games off the store shelve started going for $30 in your area??? Seems more like $50-60 still around here .... think you could pick on up for me mate??

But on the original topic, always like to see improvements in the technology - even tho I'm a M$ and xbox hater :p.

hello ....

do i need to comment ... LOL! :p

thank you pals, i needed that big LOL ...

it would have been good if they just unleashed the beast ,,, but hey can't have everything ...

don't play your platform, but the games ....

cheers!

PC gaming will always be superior visually because of the endless upgrade paths. That being said its is always more expensive no matter what way you look at it...Battery packs? Live subscriptions? come on please don't tell me you've never heard of corded controllers and 50 bucks a year? I know mmo games for the pc that run over 50 bucks after 5 months. At the end of the day no matter what you say pc gaming will always be more expensive hands down...don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise. The only advantage console gaming has over pc is that it is unified platform so theres more frequency between titles. the fact that theres always a new video card coming out every 5 months is crippling the pc gaming market. I game on all platforms including pc because i can afford to but thats not the case with everyone and thats why caper platforms like gaming consoles are popping out 20-30 plus titles a year where its like 5-10 for my pc. As far as the debate with the fsb on the xbox is concerned...they have to do that to keep it uniform otherwise it would be a pc. This shouldn't surprise anyone that they are purposefully bottlenecking to keep the performance even with the older models. I don't even know why people are making a big deal about this, this shouldn't surprise anyone.

I don't think developers would like 2 separate platforms. You might end up with customer complaints because Microsoft changed the console design and performance characteristics. In the end, I think MS made the right decision.

Why does it seem that most the comments here imply that PC game developers need to recode their software for each new piece of hardware sold?
Last I checked, developers code for Direct X / OpenGL releases and not system architectures or driver updates. They're not writing this stuff in Assembly.

And while I'm not a fan of console gaming on a whole (no PC alternatives for Rock Band and Wii Fit is a bummer), overall it's a less expensive gaming option. But if you seriously low balled your new PC, you can make a system comparable in price that would play most new games on low settings.
The beauty of PC gaming is that you have the option to pay more to improve the gaming experience. Most of this doesn't give you an edge over the competition unless they are under minimum spec or their hardware is rubbish. (Watch me give out all head shots because I see more shadows than you).

Now being that I don't do much console gaming, I could be completely wrong here, but I don't see how getting some better fps would dominate in these games. Mainly because of the limitations already in place by the controllers themselves, but there's also network lag, TV refresh rates, HD vs SD players, keyboard adapters, and console overheating that skew the "everyone's equal" mentality.

Theres only a couple of reasons why I could see Microsoft would justify doing this and the first is cost. It must somehow be cheaper for them to have the bottle neck then try and correct it. Or that some part of the SDK is dependant on the FSB speed that could cause games to not play correctly.

Back