Newdev.dll error: need administrator privilege

ravisunny2

[FONT=Arial]I encountered this problem when trying to install the usb drivers for a Huawei MT841 modem.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Now I am getting this error when trying to use Add/Remove Software.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Googling indicates that this could be due to:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]1) Virus[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]2) Damaged/deleted newdev.dll caused by software installation/uninstallation[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Remedies suggested:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]1) Uninstall IE8, get latest IE8 Installer, reinstall IE8[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]2) SFC /ScanNow [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]3) “[/FONT][FONT=Arial]The safest method to fix Newdev.dll error is to make a complete scan for your poorly maintained system with a trustworthy Newdev.dll error repair tool on your computer. It is specifically designed to ensure you a thorough scan and repair for the system which has been mostly ruined by Newdev.dll error and other frustrating system problems with its ultra powerful and advanced PC error detection tools.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]I have a fully updated XP SP3.[/FONT]

I also have XP Pro SP3 installed.

I find newdev.dll in C:\Windows\system32. Rt click it Properties->Version tab says v5.1.2600.5512

You can download Hashtab will install a File Hashes tab on Properties. My version of that dll shows an MD5 hash value 03C76895F47A1339A697269000675266 (copy/paste my md5 value into your hash tab Comparison field, click Compare button

I'll post the Security tab permissions later when I get the chance

Thank you, Lookin.

The file version and MD5 of my newdev.dll are the same as yours.

And, thanks for the Hashtab link.:)

Hi Ravi! :)

You're most welcome! I find that HashTab tool pretty handy for easily calculating and comparing file hash values.

Let's check your newdev.dll file permissions next. This is what I see when I select either Administrators or System on the Security tab
Administrators.jpg

and this when I select either Power Users or Users
PowerUsers.jpg

For the sake of closure :

newdev.dll has quite a few dependencies.

So the best course of action was ro reformat & reinstall.

Back