News around the web: Cell Processor, Dead In The Water

By Erik
Nov 23, 2009
  1. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

Boy, this title and that in the original article certainly is vague leading to all kinds of speculation.

As clarification,
  2. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 824   +53

they should stick an i7 in the new playstation. or i10 or whatever its called.
  3. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,159   +67

I think that the Cell makes less sense these days, given current graphics chips. The PS3 came out with a top of the range DX9 chip, but the PS4 is bound to have something DX11 capable. This means a chip that can do quite a bit of general purpose processing. Having another parallel processor on the machine don't make much sense.
  4. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,818   +485

They need to make things easier for developers or they will face the same problems which PS3 had with games being easier to make for the xbox..
  5. RealXboxMaster

RealXboxMaster TS Rookie Posts: 139

Developing for PS3 is like developing on a Sega Saturn. PS3 is a very complex difficult hardware to work with. PS3 only has 256MB of RAM to play with which gives the developer limited room. Only the the BEST programmer will tap into this beast and make it shine.
  6. lupinnktp

lupinnktp TS Rookie Posts: 44

agree! a gaming platform is as attractive as its games get. they should stick with something easy for developers to adopt. what's the point having a great and powerful gaming machine and no good game to play?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.