TechSpot

News around the web: Google's biggest blunder

By Erik
Mar 16, 2010
  1. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TS Enthusiast Posts: 515

OMG, i think i'm a geek, i use often Internet or techy terminology to other heu 'non-geek' !!!

still i think i\m a cool geek, 'nerd' doesn't really exist in Mauritius.

I also dissect movies, but my wife just remain silent, i think will have to ask her 'bt it.

humm, getting rid of old computer equipments- check!
    getting rid of those older PC magazine, oh no please don't even think about it!

confirm i'm a geek (yet cool!) - check!

cheers! (sorry forgot to say hello .. so here hoes: hello world!)

2. drasho

drasho TS Rookie Posts: 62

lol the google story was pretty interesting... Dont know if it realy changed the perception of google to the public eye but still and interesting read =)

3. ucould2

ucould2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 335

So download "Ubuntu" as your O/S
    Search every thing on "Wiki"
    totally avoid this race...."Google provoked the excitable alpha dogs who run Microsoft"....and take the bone home yourself and hide it in the couch or behind the couch or the curtain :) & live life within your boundaries not someone else's

4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

Thats a good one ;)

However, I think Google has become more like a spinosauras; just too big for its own good.

Very good article though, I always wondered why would Microsoft want to grab Yahoo; never seemed to be good business really, however, by shear luck (or perhaps Google's stupidity) they ended up saving the $$$s and in much better position now as Bing is a formidable alternative..

5. kweeny

kweeny TS Rookie

In retrospect the guys at Google most definitely may be wondering "What were we thinking" regarding the events of 2008 today, seeing how things worked out for Microsoft.
    The story sortof puts everything into perspective very well to the general public.

6. yello88

yello88 TS Rookie Posts: 19

wow, how could they mess up that bad! I hate BING, worst search engine ever! it also destroys smart phones! I hope that Bing doesn't get worse though

7. ucould2

ucould2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 335

Just a thought what would happen when / if Nokia and Pentium with a 'android' type phone bought into the information stream. It would certainly be a lot of information and hardware on the ground in the users hands! Maybe Twitter is a viable commodity :)

8. bigclick

bigclick TS Rookie Posts: 49

Google's Biggest Blunder .... hmmm. "Do no evil" ... and Microsoft has been vilified for years. You know you're doing something right when you compare and get the same public opinion.

You will be assimilated.

9. Yoda8232

Yoda8232 TS Rookie Posts: 145

Big LOL @ at the 10 Annoying Habits of a Geeky Spouse from Wired.
    They're all soooooo true! :)

10. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,573   +9

Google's dominance was seriously being undermined. It made perfect sense to oppose the merger at the time, and nobody knew that Microsoft would end up getting what they wanted in the first place anyway.

Besides, if Google didn't beat the anti-trust drum, someone else would. Everyone should also take note that it wasn't google's fault in the end that the merger didn't go through.

Therefore, we shouldn't give Google all that credit for the blunder.

11. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

@CMH
    I think its more about Google's attitude brought into light its own behavior; which may not have happened for more time to come otherwise. Anyway, whats done can't be undone. I think with regard to future, Google has placed lots of eggs in one basket i.e. cloud computing; which is something I don't think would give them same edge; as there ought to be lot more competition in this space. Right now, what these events has done is gave Microsoft a good hand to play in the future with all this money and more which they are making.

Having said that, good healthy clean competition is what we the users really need, my hope is, that is what we will get from all the players involved in this (specially if the concerned authorities keep everyone honest and make them play by the rules).

Just a cue for European Commission though; if you can make Microsoft use a poll system with regard to browsers, why not make something similar happen with the default search engine in the browsers ??

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.