News around the web: Inside the HDMI cable scam

By Erik
Aug 23, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,580   +863

That isn't anywhere near the fraud involved with the sale of higher refresh rate monitors.

If you're walking through the store thinking you see better action on a 120Hz TV, they must have you hypnotized.

This issue may be news, but I doubt that it's news to any body in our forums.

Face it, I think we've been buying 10 dollar cables, with 5 dollar rebates for years.

I did buy an expensive HDMI cable once from Walmart, no less. It was a Friday night, and I had just bought an LCD from Best Buy that afternoon. I knew I was doing wrong, and I'm ashamed. That said it was the lowest priced, high priced cable I could find.... :rolleyes:
  2. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,536   +92

Last HDMI cable I bought was £5 for 2.5m (Fisual Install Series GOLD Plated HDMI Cable 2.5m). Never fallen for overpriced super high quality lies. My friend actually does a lot of audio work and has a degree in electrical engineering and did testing of gold plated high quality audio cable years ago and found that it offered very little difference in the quality of signal passed through it compared to a standard cable. Slightly better over longer distances but nothing that warranted the premium prices being charged.
  3. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TechSpot Maniac Posts: 543

Yea here in the UK HDMI cables are all cheap. Even the ''gold plated'' ones are less than £10. I not seen a HDMI cable cost more than £15.
  4. Arris

5. Johny47

Johny47 Newcomer, in training Posts: 157

ok honestly that's 'nothing'. I like Amazon quite alot it's a great online store but this item here is just pathetic =/ - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monster-MC-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282659471&sr=1-1
  6. Zilpha

Zilpha TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 349

Corporations trying to cheat consumers? There's a shocker.
  7. Arris

8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,479   +292

I buy all my hdmi cables from monoprice, very reasonable prices. Even for stuff like speaker wire you can get a good deal compared to most box stores.

As for the higher refresh rate TVs... I'm not convinced that is a scam yet.. I think the way TVs reproduce a picture vs the fps of the source may be important.
  9. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,288   +262

I, too, am a huge monoprice fan. You know how women go shopping when they're upset with their spouses - well I log onto monoprice when my wife pisses me off and I order cables. Good, thick, fancy connector cables of different types - they make me happy.
  10. tengeta

tengeta TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 632

So what, Monster has been doing this scam for years with every kind of cable.

11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,580   +863

Well, now MSNBC has said it, so it must be true.
  12. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,351   +122

Thats one down...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.