News around the web: The secret origin of Windows

By Erik
Mar 9, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,407   +314

The article is basically accurate :)

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were invited to the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC as it became known as) and Jobs went home and immediately started the WIMP (Windows, Icons, Menus and Pointer device) interface project which later became the Lisa machine (which failed in the market) and that evolved into the Macintosh product.

Quiet sadly, a great many things were developed at PARC and none were developed into successful products by Xerox -- only by those that had a marketing team that was johnny-on-the-spot with new technologies.

The rest is history.
  2. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 870   +22

Topeka temporarily named Google, Kansas. I once refused a mainframe programming project in Topeka, KS. I didn't want to travel and programming jobs were a dime a dozen at the time. Those were the days. Now my friend is so desperate he would fly to Louisville, KY on Monday and return to Chicago on Friday holding two residences to practice mainframe programming. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.
  3. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TS Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ...

learnt something new ...from something quite old * like i said in some other post, it has to begin some day, Bravo Windows!

I want PhySX in my games, now & forever ...so developers should do their best & even if they don't like it, it's not just a matter of money, but also please the customer end!

Sorry even if i want to brain control my puter, aint wearing this thing!

I saw that Google Island thingy on GameOne's JT & i LOLed about it, now i read it again here & think where would they go to be googled that much!

cheers!
  4. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +31

Richy2k9, there's absolutely no reason you'd want PhysX in your games. Hardware accelerated physics, sure, but PhysX? Unless you have a large amount of stock in NVIDIA, why would you want it?
  5. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

The Secret Origin of Windows was a very good read IMO. Interesting to learn about this stuff in the very early days. Things have changed so much.
  6. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

PhysX is just nvidia's cash cow - it encourages consumers to stick to their brand and I'm guessing a lot of people will buy into it.
  7. Docnoq

Docnoq TS Rookie Posts: 141

Hahaha I had no idea Google fiber would be so highly sought after by bureaucrats. Seems like Google has a similar level of influence as Stephen Colbert.. that guy can get people to do anything.
  8. Yoda8232

Yoda8232 TS Rookie Posts: 145

That is would really sexy HD 5850 by Asus, really nice. GOOGLE FIBER MUST COME TO CANADA PLEASE ROGERS + BELL SUCK BALLS.
  9. rskapadia2294

rskapadia2294 TS Rookie Posts: 102

nvidia is trying to regain it lost customers! they should come out with some wallet friendly cards!
  10. levar

levar TS Rookie Posts: 232

just want to point out under Cooling "Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler" links to just the image not the review http://yfrog.com/1nimgnotrevp, took the liberty of getting it, its the link below. Enjoy!
    http://www.bayreviews.com/computers/3380-noctua-nhd14-cpu-cooler

Great list of hardware this week, I just love Steel Series' hardware I'm currently using their Steel Series IKARI mouse, awesome just love the look and the feel even though, I find it to be quite um.. how would I say it not durable after a while playing CS:S the area where my thumb is started to budge open. It looked kinda like if I force my thumb unto it, it would've been broken and this is just within the first week I bought it. Anyways I like thermaltake's Contac 29 Direct Touch and that Mushkin Mulholland Drive 2GB USB performance is amazing and just as reviewed the fixed amount of space 2GB which really sucks but I think I might just grab it because its so cheap.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.