News articles now open in the same tab...

captaincranky

When clicking on the "read the article here" link, in the forum version of a front page news article, the articles now open in the same tab. Formerly the full article opened in a separate tab.

I confess I really liked it the old way better, where the news article opened in its own tab. Since then, you didn't have to back out of the news page to get back to the forum to comment.

I'm basing this on the idea that a signed in forum member probably doesn't want to post a comment on the news page, (much less control), and it's much easier just to click the tab away when you're done reading the page.

Is anybody with me on this one....?:confused:

I prefer the old way too. The new way is not horrible but if given my druthers, I'd like a new tab as well.

They’re still working on the board development captain, but in any case, the simple solution to your problem is to click the link with the much neglected middle mouse button instead of the overused left.

I open links in a new tab by habit, so it doesn't make much difference to me.
BTW, the "Posting Rules" page doesn't seem to have been migrated to the new board. The member titles and community guidelines page I mean.

Yep. I'm with you man.

I posted in this thread (post #39)
So, for a lighter request. On those same news articles, clicking to read the full article opens in that window. Wish it would open in a new tab.

Julio replied:
On the other hand, your second request (open in new window) is super easy, so I'll get that done today.

Then it didn't change, so several days later I posted this:
News from the forum has the little one sentence and a link to the real front page post, that still doesn't pop a new tab (opens in same tab still).

Julio replied:
I did look into this, and it wasn't as trivial as I thought. Because XF only allows bbcode (or equivalents) I can't simply plug in a A HREF tag with open in new window attribute. I will have to install a third party add-on to do that, just for you Just give me a little more time.

So yep, its getting worked on. I don't know a time frame, but sounds like it will go back to the 'old' way in time.

Yeah, I had already read them. The ToS was added later obviously.
I know Matt linked to it. That links to VB. I was talking about XF. The member titles description isn't there like earlier. Fortunately, it's taped to the inside of my wardrobe, so ain't a problem. Haha.
It'll take some time, working on the whole site. But what's change without some challenge?

@ SNGX1275

In case you didn't see it, which from what you write appears likely, I posted a simple solution in my first post in this thread.

Some links opening in the same tab and others opening in different tabs are confusing.

I prefer all links open in the same tab, I can right click and open them in a different tab when I want them to.

I don't have a preference.
When I'm scrolling through the news, I middle click (open in a new tab, but don't switch to it) all the ones I want to read, and after I get through all the new ones I close that tab and look at all the tabs I opened, so it doesn't matter to me either way.

I could see how people would prefer it the old way.

@ SNGX1275

In case you didn't see it, which from what you write appears likely, I posted a simple solution in my first post in this thread.

I saw it. It is just an unsatisfactory solution, it is a 'workaround' that involves an extra step that was not necessary in the past. I do most of my browsing on a notebook and I don't want to have to do any "right clicking" (its a mac, but even if it wasn't a right click brings up a menu) or holding down a key when I click. I know how to do all of those things, but that isn't the point. The point is it should pop open a new tab. Links in posts pop a new tab just like they used to.

Links to full news will be open in new window very soon, as SNGX pointed out from my replies. Besides that, link behavior is the same as always, most recently (before XenForo) we made it so that all internal links open in the same window (TechSpot links) and all external links going to third parties open in a new window.

Back