Next-gen Xbox details leaked, from someone who claims to have one

By Julio Franco
Feb 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The next-generation Xbox—the one that will follow the still-popular Xbox 360—will run multiple games at once, require game installations, and will only work when a much-improved version of the popular but divisive Kinect sensor array is plugged in, according to...

Read more
  2. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Booster Posts: 410   +42

Screw you MS for making the old controllers incompatible. That is JUST to force people to buy more new gear and you know it!
    Greedy buggers
    hammer2085, theSon, havok585 and 2 others like this.
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,182   +509

Sony & MS can do as they like with their consoles for all I care. I'd never waste money on any gaming console. For me it's PC gaming only or no gaming at all.
    roxxas2, havok585 and psycros like this.
  4. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 616   +185

LOL! George Orwell, your game console has arrived. F you and your vile Kinect + always-connected spying, Micro$haft.
    spencer likes this.
  5. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,362   +260

Well, I don't like the idea of being forced to use the Kinect? I dunno if I'm the only one but does anyone ever sit there, watching a movie and the kinect is just there staring at you? I can't help but think:

"Is a Microsoft employee watching me sit here in just my underwear?".

Anyway, things I think are great is Bluray finally making an appearance, with 50GB on tap, games could have nice high res textures and be quite big and detailed.

I like the idea of having to install games, this just speeds up load times dramatically.

Specs seem reasonable, 8GB of RAM is actually quite a lot, Guess Minecraft can now be ported properly xD

But I'm worried how much this thing is going to cost, with a Kinect as standard, those specs and then all new gear, I can't see this being cheap.

Besides, I'll wait for the PS4 announcement before giving a final judgement, I've got a feeling this time round Sony are going to try and get back on top.
    Sunny87 likes this.
  6. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 859   +274

And yet here you are...
  7. mevans336

mevans336 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 163   +11

I'm a little puzzled by the inclusion of an 8-core chip. I suppose in actuality this is a 4-module Bulldozer or Piledriver chip, perhaps based on Trinity? Regardless, I am curious what all that processing power will be used for.
  8. ...you could just ut a towel or soemthing over the kinect sensor, or turn it around.
  9. MrBungle

MrBungle TechSpot Booster Posts: 141   +62

Its a curious CPU choice... for gaming you'd be much better off with a higher clocked quad core, if the 1.6GHz figures that have been thrown around are true and this is in fact an AMD design this CPU is a gutless wonder from a gaming stand point, not every type of program can be threaded in such a way that it will take full advantage of 8 threads.
  10. captainawesome

Amen to the dislike being watched idea. The Kinect also has a microphone I assume? so a cloth over the camera wont be enough to stop the overlords from listening to the plebians speak.
    Anyhoo, on the PS4, I dont think they going to get anywhere if they want to remain this closed to things like external apps and a decent marketplace.
  11. spencer

spencer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 199   +21

I know what you mean, good one.
  12. spencer

spencer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 199   +21

Also I have had the kinect ever since in came out, I constantly get the aurora that I'm being watched and when I do I beat the shi* out of it. It never breaks though. Ps3 monitors you by biometrics? and the xbox will monitor you by kinect. the only way not to be watched is to get a gaming pc and even then you can't be sure. As for the wii u I'm sure they are monitoring you somehow. Only way to be sure is to turn off wifi and get a rf signal detector.
  13. Apparently I'm the only one who still uses an original xbox and the first black 360.(not the slim)
  14. Skidmarksdeluxe

That sounds exactly like the line Haytham uttered aboard the ship in Assassins Creed 3
    spencer likes this.

15. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

What if Im not a fan of the Kinetic? I personally believe it to be a waste of my gaming time. I work on my feet all day. The absolute last thing I want is to have to do is Jane Fondas workout to play a game. I want to come home and sit back and relax. And yes I am abit paranoid about MS being able to access my system and watch me. It prolly wont happen, but Im the kind of guy that likes to pull his curtains and walk around in the buff if I chose. Im not to keen on the whole Kinetic idea. That and the not being allowed to play my xbox 360 games on it means its now going to be a deal breaker. Im hopeing that Sony does their release soon so we can get a look at the specs. If both Sony and MS decide to screw the consumer, I will just move to a different form of gaming. Maybe I will break out my old GameBoy. No.....GameCube!! Mario Golf hasnt seen some action in awhile.
  16. Skidmarksdeluxe

That sounds kinda creepy. Watch out, Big Daddy's watching.
  17. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 477   +117

Boo hoo. We had to basically do it for every new console before, don't expect them to do you any favors...
  18. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 477   +117

And mandatory kinect doesn't mean that new games will always use it (or use it to get active). It just means that the devs will know that it is standard so they can add a cool thing or 2 to their games...
  19. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 761   +178

I think of the console market like I do the music industry; It's controlled by teenies. Artists with trash music selling millions of albums while popular only to be forgot about in 3 months. With consoles, its not teenage girls, its teenage boys. They don't care about all these new changes/methods, they just want to game.
    Personally I don't like being forced to use a giant state of the art camera probably capable of sending my sperm count to Uncle Sam.
    And my gripes about Xbox Live and local games stay the same. I installed some games onto my Xbox 360S, but I still need the CD to play them...so...umm, whats the friggin point?
    And new titles don't show up on Live until long after they hit shelves...

My love for Microsoft keeps dwindling and I am using my PS3 and Gaming PC more and more.
    Skidmarksdeluxe and soldier1969 like this.
  20. F that $h!t...I'm NOT having anything that's ALWAYS on and mandatory. Why the F would I voluntarily allow M$ (or whoever else) spy on me!??
  21. To those who comment, on this article how AAAwesome and powerful is their pc they have on mommys basement , why bother dude
  22. SantistaUSA

SantistaUSA Newcomer, in training Posts: 43

Well I hate that Microsoft charges for live as well, it is a rip off, but I about been able to install the game to your hard drive but still needing to have the dvd in there makes perfect sense, if they allowed you to do that then why would I buy the game when you can borrow from your friend, copy it to your hardrive for free! the point is of been able to install is less noise, stress on your system.

I'm also not happy about kinect been mandatory, but all this are just rumors, let's wait til it is official!
  23. Nope. I've been using a 120gb Elite on a wired connection without a single problem since it was released.
  24. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Addict Posts: 758   +153

Ye But you forgot about consoles as well.
  25. captainawesome

I find myself in the precarious position of agreeing with everything everyone said. :)
    Burty117 likes this.
  26. I can't imagine Microshaft forcing players to always have Kinect on, or always having an online connection. More likely, they'll produce variants of the same console, tailored to different needs. For those that want all the pointless bells and whistles, they can have them, but I'm sure they'll just sell the basic console for console gamers.

If they don't, then I won't be bothering to buy one. I have never played a Kinect game in my life, or been anywhere near Xbox Live. The last thing I want to do is to jump around my living room after a hard day at work! And the only thing that I have connected to the internet is my PC.

That's how it should always be (unless you're an annoying, spotty 14 year old).
    havok585 and hahahanoobs like this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.