Nintendo 3DS launching on March 27 for $250

By Emil
Jan 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Nintendo executive Reggie Fil-Amie today revealed US availability and pricing for the Nintendo 3DS at an event in the Nintendo World store in New York City. The 3DS will launch on March 27, 2011 with a retail price of $250 and will be available in two flavors: Aqua Blue and Cosmo Black.

Read the whole story
  2. This will be so sold out.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

Yeah, pretty much even though I don't have any interest in it. That's a pretty steep price for a hand-held gaming unit. Plus the games are going to run you $50-$60 a pop. It can be someone else's toy. ;)
  4. It may sell out, but the DSi/XL doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon with this price point on the 3DS.
  5. I'll wait for the second iteration before buying it.
  6. Can I put linux on it legally yet?
  7. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

I'll wait until Nintendo releases the official 3DS Headache Relief Pills.
  8. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

So what are they possibly giving on a 250$ device I can't get on a 300$ console? 3D? Please Nintendo, don't embarrass yourself.
  9. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,113   +23

I'm no console fan of any sort; no fanboy but I doubt Nintendo will embarrass themselves:

The Nintendo 3DS will probably run a pair of ARM11 266MHz chips with 64MB RAM and a 133MHz GPU. These specs haven’t been confirmed, but IGN is pretty certain they’re accurate.

CPU: 2 x 266MHz ARM11
    GPU: PICA200 133MHz GPU by DMP
    RAM: 64MB
    Video RAM: 4MB
    Storage: 1.5GB Flash-based

Considering the original DS ran at 64 and 33MHz with a few megabytes of RAM while the DSi simply doubled that. We'll know very soon whether or not these specs are the real deal.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.