Nintendo sold almost 200,000 NES Classic Edition consoles in the US since November's launch

midian182

Staff member

Nintendo’s new NES Classic Edition consoles are proving so popular that getting hold of one has been an impossible task for many fans. The machines sold out quickly once they arrived in the stores - both virtual and physical - resulting in some appearing on eBay for two or three times the $60 retail price. Unsurprisingly, it turns out that a massive 196,000 units have been sold in the US since they were released in November.

The figure comes from game industry sales tracking firm NPD group (via GamesBeat). It’s almost as high as the number of Wii U consoles that were sold in the US during the six-month period between April and September – 220,000.

The NES Classic Edition sales could have been much higher, if only Nintendo had anticipated the demand and made more. The company is trying to get extra units into the hands of retailers in time for Christmas, but many of the new machines are being used to fulfill orders placed in November.

Nintendo assures people that it is not deliberately holding back units. “Every day there’s more going into the retail channel,” Reggie Fils-Aime, president and chief operating officer of Nintendo of America, told CNET. “The overall level of demand is certainly greater than we anticipated, that’s why we’re suffering through the shortages out there in the marketplace.”

Google's annual “Year in Search” list for 2016 showed that the NES Classic Edition was the seventh most popular consumer tech search term in the US. It was also the most second-most Googled games console of the year, sitting behind Nintendo’s other device, the Switch.

For those still looking for a Classic Edition, GameStop reportedly took in “limited quantities” of stock yesterday, with more set to arrive today.

Permalink to story.

They severely dropped the ball on this:

#1 The number of "missing" classics is astounding. You can't even get the original Contra or Shadow of the Ninja...

#2 You can't download new games... (deal breaker)

#3 You can't use your old cartridges - which is a deal killer - NES carts on Ebay could have seen an upsurge in trading.

#4 those controllers will give you nintenditus (carpal tunnel syndrome) in a few hours.

Unless some hackers manage to hack it so you can add more roms into it, I can't imagine anyone playing with it for very long.

They severely dropped the ball on this
Yes... they dropped the ball so hard on this that they sold everything and people are buying them from ebay at double or triple the price... don't be a clown...
Unless some hackers manage to hack it so you can add more roms into it, I can't imagine anyone playing with it for very long.
There was a news here of someone hacking it and making it run ubuntu (It's the first topic on the related news).

They severely dropped the ball on this

I wouldn't exactly say that a product which sells more than anticipated is 'dropping the ball'. On the contrary, the fact that there is scope for update means that Nintendo can release a new version in the future.

I stick by exactly what I said. The only clown here is anyone stupid enough to reply thinking that their opinion matters to me.

It don't!!!

(And yes I'm aware of the grammar use)

I stick by exactly what I said. The only clown here is anyone stupid enough to reply thinking that their opinion matters to me.

It don't!!!

(And yes I'm aware of the grammar use)
If peoples oponion do not matter to you why do you bother posting? Isn't the point to start a conversation or are you here just to piss everyone off?

199,999 units bought by ebayers who are reselling with a markup of 400%. 1 unit bought by a fan who actually wanted to play the games.

If peoples oponion do not matter to you why do you bother posting? Isn't the point to start a conversation or are you here just to piss everyone off?
Do you need a reply to that or was a rhetorical question?

Do you need a reply to that or was a rhetorical question?
There are people in this forum who's opinion matter to me and I like having discussions with them. What is the point of joining a forum of you don't want to have discussions with its members and make friends? He certainly isn't interested in having a discussion and he isn't exactly making friends.

I thought it was a rhetorical question because my belief is that he does it to piss off and antagonize everyone, he does make me giggle from time to time with his "logic", I'm just sad that the ignore function only works on forum mode and not in news mode #TSHearOurCries

I thought it was a rhetorical question because my belief is that he does it to piss off and antagonize everyone, he does make me giggle from time to time with his "logic", I'm just sad that the ignore function only works on forum mode and not in news mode #TSHearOurCries
Well he hasn't done anything to get banned yet so we're stuck with him for now

Last edited:
There are people in this forum who's opinion matter to me and I like having discussions with them. What is the point of joining a forum of you don't want to have discussions with its members and make friends? He certainly isn't interested in having a discussion and he isn't exactly making friends.
That's another thing that has put me off in commenting, it's like, no one reads the article, no one reads the replies, and they post their brilliancy that had been said on the article, and on the replies, and they think it's brilliant to keep on repeating the same things again and again, or just make a one liner to say, "love it" or "screw it" or something it.

Back