Nintendo Switch 2 dev kits have already shipped to studios, preparing late 2024 launch

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Get your grain of salt ready: A new leak suggests that Nintendo is about to release its "next-gen" console. Insiders said it would be another hybrid like the Switch. However, the new device will ditch the OLED screen for an LED to save on manufacturing costs. Nintendo is shooting to launch the handheld in the second half of 2024, and devkits are already in the hands of developers.

Release dates for a new Nintendo Switch have been all over the place, but VGC sources expect it to arrive in H2 2024, corroborating a previous rumor. Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa also told investors not to expect new hardware until after fiscal year 2023, which ends on March 31, 2024 lining up not quite perfectly with the new information.

While not an official confirmation, the date at least jives with the company's stated expectations, unlike other rumors claiming launches as early as 2020 or 2021. The Switch celebrated its sixth anniversary in March, so the potential for new hardware toward the end of 2024 or early 2025 seems more in line with a typical console generation. Additionally, Furukawa-san recently said that Nintendo is prepared for a "smooth transition" to new hardware, all but confirming that an updated device is imminent.

The news also comes as Switch sales are declining. Shipments for 2022 were down more than 22 percent, and Nintendo's bean counters forecast another decline of 15 percent for FY2023. Furthermore, a report from Nikkei earlier this year proposed a similar timeframe based on ongoing talks between Nintendo and its parts suppliers.

Besides the potential launch window and the disappointing screen news, the insiders were stingy with any other details. They mentioned that it would have "a cartridge slot" for physical games, but it's unclear if that will be any different from the current SD-card-like port the current console has. Other than that, the rest of the specs are subject to our imagination.

Presumably, we can at least expect more powerful processors. While Nintendo's latest AAA release, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, runs beautifully on the aging system, Kotaku notes that the device has shown some difficulty running other recent titles, including Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.

Permalink to story.

Pokemon Scarlet/Violet runs badly because of the studio heads' bad management, not the Switch hardware.

Other Pokemon games on Switch look and run far better.

Pokemon Scarlet/Violet runs badly because of the studio heads' bad management, not the Switch hardware.

It is pretty impressive what Nintendo can get out of the Switch hardware, but it is also hard to understate how weak the hardware is. The closest approximate to what the Tega X1 represents is an severely underclocked Samsung Galaxy S6 from 2015 hooked up to a GeForce GT-710 DDR4 model from 2014. The Tegra X1 still uses Cortex A57 cores that are now 8 generations old compared to modern smart phones.

Amazing programming can get you a long way, but the Switch is definitely due for a major update.

"far better" is subjective here when all of them look bad and rely heavily on art direction to save the visuals. :)

I was waiting for this news for a long time, but it is too late now. Simply, Steam Deck is a better option - you can actually watch a Netflix, Disney, Prime, run Discord, Spotify , browsers, slack, and play few times larger games library for much more affordable prices. And you actually can run DS games, which you can't do on Switch, and you don't have worry about disappearing digital game library.
If Switch 2 came out 2 years ago with at least such support for some media apps like bigger consoles then that still would be a good pick. But right now it is too little, too late. Sure people will jump on that, but I'm more sure than ever I won't.

ALL the mainline pokemon switch games run like arse. This is a game freak problem.

Actually, scratch that, it's a end user problem. They keep buying 20 million copies, so there is no incentive to improve.

The non game freak Pokemon games, like pokken tournament and mystery dungeon, run great. As do games like Zelda and Metroid.

Still looking forward to a switch 2. Hopefully it is backwards compatible, if it is it's a day 1 buy.

Nintendo has not been concerned with releasing a 'powerful' console since the Wii. The last competitive console was GameCube, it was roughly on par with the Xbox and PS2, arguments can be made that it was still the weakest console, but it had its strengths and weaknesses. The Wii was only slightly more powerful than the GameCube, the Wii U wasn't even on par with the PS3 and released just before the XBO and PS4, the Switch, of course is a handheld, but it is barely faster than the Wii U. So, the expectation of Switch 2 is that it will probably be at best, slightly more powerful than PS4. That being said, newer hardware, cheap memory, and more efficient processors mean we may see something that is quite a bit better than expectations, maybe XSS territory in terms of performance. Both don't expect a beast console that can hold its own against the PS5 and XSX, it's not going to happen and it would cost $1000.

I was waiting for this news for a long time, but it is too late now. Simply, Steam Deck is a better option - you can actually watch a Netflix, Disney, Prime, run Discord, Spotify , browsers, slack, and play few times larger games library for much more affordable prices. And you actually can run DS games, which you can't do on Switch, and you don't have worry about disappearing digital game library.
If Switch 2 came out 2 years ago with at least such support for some media apps like bigger consoles then that still would be a good pick. But right now it is too little, too late. Sure people will jump on that, but I'm more sure than ever I won't.
Don't forget that if you do emulate Switch games, you get better performance AND the ability to backup your saves (outside of a subscription).

Nintendo has not been concerned with releasing a 'powerful' console since the Wii. The last competitive console was GameCube, it was roughly on par with the Xbox and PS2, arguments can be made that it was still the weakest console, but it had its strengths and weaknesses. The Wii was only slightly more powerful than the GameCube, the Wii U wasn't even on par with the PS3 and released just before the XBO and PS4, the Switch, of course is a handheld, but it is barely faster than the Wii U. So, the expectation of Switch 2 is that it will probably be at best, slightly more powerful than PS4. That being said, newer hardware, cheap memory, and more efficient processors mean we may see something that is quite a bit better than expectations, maybe XSS territory in terms of performance. Both don't expect a beast console that can hold its own against the PS5 and XSX, it's not going to happen and it would cost $1000.
Honestly, I get the performance constraints and I could live with that, easily. What I don't get are software constraints - save backups, game backups, disappearing bought games from store, lack of media applications, really weird approach to subscriptions and so on. This software approach and extreme walled garden dramatically reduces Switch functionality. Why should I take this thing to a plane, if I need another device to watch a movie or do anything else? Steam Deck gives opportunity to do all a PC can do, plus a handheld experience - for less. Not because of the hardware, but simply not being a d*ck. I do not expect Switch to allow installation of 3rd party apps without a store, but store should give at least similar media applications choice as ps5/xsx. And a browser. I could live without productivity aspect and modern cpu.

Honestly, I get the performance constraints and I could live with that, easily. What I don't get are software constraints - save backups, game backups, disappearing bought games from store, lack of media applications, really weird approach to subscriptions and so on. This software approach and extreme walled garden dramatically reduces Switch functionality. Why should I take this thing to a plane, if I need another device to watch a movie or do anything else? Steam Deck gives opportunity to do all a PC can do, plus a handheld experience - for less. Not because of the hardware, but simply not being a d*ck. I do not expect Switch to allow installation of 3rd party apps without a store, but store should give at least similar media applications choice as ps5/xsx. And a browser. I could live without productivity aspect and modern cpu.
Nintendo hardware and online services have never been impressive or even good compared to the competition. Nintendo is all about their franchises and the hardware sells because you have to have it to play the latest Nintendo titles (Switch emulation is an exception not the rule qnd to emulate legally you still need to own the hardware).

Nintendo has made a bunch of money lately. Switch was a smashing success. They've never sold more software. The Mario Movie was also a major cash infusion. I'm willing to bet they are going to put big money into making sure the Switch 2 is much harder to hack than the Switch. I could be wrong of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if Switch 2 takes twice as long to get up and running on emulators.

So really, it comes down to how badly you want to play Nintendo exclusives. If you are buying a Switch 2 for third party games, there are better options.

So really, it comes down to how badly you want to play Nintendo exclusives. If you are buying a Switch 2 for third party games, there are better options.
The funny thing is, technically I can play Nintendo exclusives (not limited to Switch ones) on other platforms in a better quality and with an option to archive my saves any time I want.
Anyway, it is not hardware, it is software policy which limits the potential way too much. They went away with this when there were no competition, but thankfully we kinda getting some choice now.

The funny thing is, technically I can play Nintendo exclusives (not limited to Switch ones) on other platforms in a better quality and with an option to archive my saves any time I want.
Anyway, it is not hardware, it is software policy which limits the potential way too much. They went away with this when there were no competition, but thankfully we kinda getting some choice now.
Maybe you missed what I was saying. I know that you can emulate Switch. But, we're talking about Switch 2 and it is a pretty good bet Nintendo will do all it can to make emulation much more difficult this time around. Which brings me back to my point, if you buy a Switch 2, you are buying it for Nintendo games that you won't be playing on PC for a long time.

Maybe you missed what I was saying. I know that you can emulate Switch. But, we're talking about Switch 2 and it is a pretty good bet Nintendo will do all it can to make emulation much more difficult this time around. Which brings me back to my point, if you buy a Switch 2, you are buying it for Nintendo games that you won't be playing on PC for a long time.
You can easily emulate switch on a deck. On a gaming pc it will take just some months to get s2 emulation done, and we will be getting for that time cross green titles, so... You really won't lost much

You can easily emulate switch on a deck. On a gaming pc it will take just some months to get s2 emulation done, and we will be getting for that time cross green titles, so... You really won't lost much
We'll see I guess.

Will the Switch 2 be doing anything about their wandering joystick input problem?
I doubt Nintendo will be the first to use Hall effect sensors. Heck, they're cheaping out on the screen from what reports are saying...

I doubt Nintendo will be the first to use Hall effect sensors. Heck, they're cheaping out on the screen from what reports are saying...
None of the big three are going to be the first. Sega did it in the 90s.

More than 120 million people say otherwise.

The Steam Deck is great. It's also a brick in comparison, with zero games specifically designed for it.

More than 120 million people say otherwise.

The Steam Deck is great. It's also a brick in comparison, with zero games specifically designed for it.
TThey're two completely different markets. The switch is for kids who want a console that their parents can buy games for without worrying, fans of nintendos IP (me), and those who want a fun party console (also me).

The steam deck is for adults who own PC games catalogs and want to take them on the go, and those who want to emulate portable game consoles.

While the Deck is cool, the switch has broader appeal, and the PC has always struggled with the whole party thing. The switch, its trivial to get my friends together for a night of party games, and Nintendo is the only 1st party publisher that cares about couch coop anymore.

TThey're two completely different markets. The switch is for kids who want a console that their parents can buy games for without worrying, fans of nintendos IP (me), and those who want a fun party console (also me).

The steam deck is for adults who own PC games catalogs and want to take them on the go, and those who want to emulate portable game consoles.

While the Deck is cool, the switch has broader appeal, and the PC has always struggled with the whole party thing. The switch, its trivial to get my friends together for a night of party games, and Nintendo is the only 1st party publisher that cares about couch coop anymore.
All correct. As a primarily PC gamer, with kids, the Switch has been an amazing console. We have two kids and two Switches. They took them with us to a family reunion and within just a few minutes there is a Smash Bros. tournament going on between all the cousins, followed by Mario Kart. The complication of replicating this on any PC (or Steam Deck) would be too frustrating and everyone would have just given up and done something else. PC gaming is my goto, I prefer it to consoles. I like being able to play games the way I want. I like to be able to mod and even to give myself some quality-of-life cheats like 2X experience points so a game doesn't take 80-100 hours to beat (looking at your grind heavy RPGs). I also emulate my Switch games, but the Switch is still better for couch multiplayer and always will be.

Back