No power to Power Supply, no lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berzer

Came home, walked in and noticed my PC was off. monitor was on, speakers on, modem everything on as if the power had blinked out for a sec and my system had shutdown. I pressed the power button on the front and got nothing. i checked the power supply's own power on/off switch on the back and got nothing. no light that its on or anything. thought maybe it was the cable so i plugged it into my other pc and the cable works, so i'm thinking maybe the psu went bad or took a hit. Im guessing i just need to replace it. How difficult is it to replace it by yourself. i've never done that before and do you think that its the psu at fault? I'm thinking that if there is not power on light, then something is wrong big with it. my heat temps stay down between 28C and 34C at the highest. Also, can i replace it with just any other 600w power supply or does it need to be a specific kind. company i bought it from online listed it as dual core certified 600w psu. no mention of 12v rail or anything else. i guess i can get that from them if they have it on file.

thanks for the advice. i shouldnt need new cords to hook up to the cpu and other devices should i? i'm attempting first to see if i can get the company i bought the system from to replace it being that its 6 months. should be some sort of warranty right? or should i just go ahead and order a new one?

Well on most Power supplies the cords are what you call (built in) so no choice gots to be removed. Now for the warranty i would see if the company would replace it first then if they don't then is when i would purchase a PSU. After more people give suggestion on the best power supply. I just recommended you one. Their might be better than what i recommended. :D I would go with the corsair IMO.

Nope, won't need a new cord or anything. And the new PSU will have all the connections for your current devices. Replacing is easy, just try not to get intimidiated by all the wires.

Your current PSU might have a warranty. What I would do is just buy a new one, and then send your current one in if it is under warranty. It never hurts to have a backup PSU, and you can even help friends out with their troubleshooting if you have a known good one.

PSUs aren't something you want to cut costs on, but you don't need a 650W PSU for your system. I'd recommend any Enermax PSU to you that is 475W or higher. There is a PC Power&Cooling PSU on ZipZoomFly that was a really good price recently, I think it is still there. They are a very reputable manufacturer too.

Edit: Nevermind on the PC Power&Cooling, they are all sold out at the cheap price :(

Edit #2: I checked the link I had at work, and it appears they are not sold out. Here is the link: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008521&prodlist=bizrate

Berzer said:
i shouldnt need new cords to hook up to the cpu and other devices should i?
I think what Berzer means by that is the cords that hook-up to CPU, Hard Drive Etc. Like i said it was a recommendation. SNGX very knowledgeable, so i would listen to him Berzer IMO. :D

The manufacturer said the warranty ran out, and are offering me a replacement of the same kind (i assume) for 45 bucks including shipping. i was thinking if it took a surge and died it probably wasnt a good brand in the first place. probably was cheap to begin with right?

i checked the brand inside its a power king 650 watt. is power king a decent brand. name sounds shifty.

i looked it up on newegg, didnt get more than a 3 for performance. think i will go with what you guys recommend. the 20+4 pin connector is a pain to get off the mobo.

Well there is a clip on the 24-pin connector. So i have heard that the enermax PSU are the best to get 475w or higher. Then PC Power & Cooling 500W or higher. Lastly if you don't find any deals on any of them i would recommend Cosair or OCZ 500W or higher. Like SNGX said don't let all of the wires fool you. The 24-pin ATX connector shouldn't be to hard to take off. Good luck and let us know if we can help you anymore. :)

as if all this wasn't enough to deal with, now my old pc which i am now using as a back up, its external fan attached to the psu has now clunked out. slow to no movement. its a 200w. can i replace just the fan on this thing or do i need a whole new psu for this as well? if the fan is not running won't the motor on the fan overheat and catch fire? i have another fan i can attach if this is meant to be done.

do you kno what the make of PSU is? If it is an external fan not built into the PSU and the other fan is the same size yes you can replace the fan. What is the specs on your old computer?

make of the psu is newton power ltd. it came with an old gateway i bought off my sister. now the fan has completely stopped moving at all. at first it would run fast and then slow to this sluggish speed and make a groaning noise, but now its completely dead. psu is working though, im just afraid of it burning up or something. i looked at attempting to disconnect the fan from the psu but its screwed in reverse to the psu, so i'd have to open the psu itself to unscrew it and remove it. i just said screw it and went and overnighted the new psu for my newer system so i can fix what was originally broke. i guess i'll just replace this one at some point later. i didn't even see a 200w psu anywhere on newegg, i guess they all start at about 550w or higher nowadays.

ridiculous price. awesome find. thanks for the link. i will probably get that. looks like enermax is a good brand. almost identical to what i have in it now.

Received the PSU today and installed it. Had an issue when my stupid self forgot to plug up one of the plugs to the mobo. it runs really well and quiet. you were right about quality though. even the molex plugs on it are redesigned so that they are easier to disconnect. thanks again for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back