No sound from computer speakers, only a buzz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I'm dgxx....a newbie. I'll try to be as little trouble as possible, cause everyone HATES newbies. Can anyone here help me with the prob of "no sound from "computer speakers" except for a buzz. My pc is a relic hybrid, 2nd hand with only GOD knows what kind of parts. Originally it was a Dell. From what I've read here, I am led to think my prob comes from basically the Mobo. While I don't know a lot about computers, I follow instructions well.....as long as they're clear....lol...

I'm running Win XP Prof....sp 2....AMD Duron Processor..1.30 GHz....256MB of Ram

Mobo name: ECS K7SEM
Mobo ID : 02/28/2002-SiS-730-6A6ISE19C-00
Mobo Mfgr: Elitegroup Computer Sustems
Mobo Size: 220mm x 240mm
Chipset: SiS730S

I think somehow I might have deleted the drivers, or something else did, because it once worked fine ! There are no exclamation points in the "device mgr" and Everest does not show drivers installed. So I do know what kind of drivers are required, and if I did....I have no idea on how to install them properly. Help is needed here. Any help is appreciated......

Thanks in advance
dgxx,

I will try to help despite my hatred for you. :) To rule out your speakers as the problem, can you try your speakers on another system or try another known good set of speakers on yours or have you done this already?

If you want to try to reinstall your sound drivers, go here: ECS website and download the Sis sound driver. Be sure you download the one for Windows XP. The downloaded file is a zip file. Unzip the file. There are three folders for three operating systems. Go into the XP folder and double click on the .exe file to start the installation process.

It's also possible that your integrated sound "card" has died. If so, you can buy an inexpensive PCI sound card.

mailpup said:
I will try to help despite my hatred for you. :) To rule out your speakers as the problem, can you try your speakers on another system or try another known good set of speakers on yours or have you done this already?

If you want to try to reinstall your sound drivers,and download the Sis sound driver. Be sure you download the one for Windows XP. The downloaded file is a zip file. Unzip the file. There are three folders for three operating systems. Go into the XP folder and double click on the .exe file to start the installation process.

It's also possible that your integrated sound "card" has died. If so, you can buy an inexpensive PCI sound card.

Thanks for the prompt reply SoundPup.....I am kinda sure the speakers or ok, but I can't really say about the sound card, I'm not that computer savvy. So I'll try to download the drivers first....should I assume there are on-screen instructions regarding "where to download the drivers to" ?

PS. Be careful how you HATE... SoundPup, or at least add an "lol"........I know where you live........

Didn't you see the smiley? Your driver will likely download to the same place all your other downloads usually go or you can choose another location. It's up to you.

No sound from speaker, only a buzz

"mailpup",

Ok....finally downloaded and installed the driver file......don't think I installed it right because only the left (that's the one without the volume control) speaker works, and that's with volume turned almost all the way up. The sub woofer and the right speaker don't work at all. What should I do now ?

dgxx,

Is this a 2.1 setup? Just to rule out the easy stuff, are your speakers plugged into the correct jack? It should be the green one.

Hi "mailpup",

You know what ? I got up this morning, and I don't know why, but everything was as it should have been....also with an amazing clarity ! Now "Dirty Vagas's" Days Go By is bouncing off the walls with a brand new sound quality !

Thanks for everything, and it's been great working with you, and I learned a lot about this computer that I didn't know. The download you sent me did the trick I guess...(when I finally figured out how to install it...lol..) Along with the regulars (uninstall etc, etc), there were 12 audio files to run at startup in the download, so I guess this is what I was missing. I know you probably got a cell phone, and you probably make your own ringtones, cause you're a tech rep here. But if not.....I'm a MOD at "Instatones" (tech rep) (it's a cellphone site, and I'm "dgxx" there too.) so if ya ever need ringtones, wallpapers, etc...hit me up. You don't have to join, cause it costs money.....just email your request to me. "duece_bleu@sbcglobal.net" TechSpot Rocks....so I'll send my people over here to look ya up when they have probs.

This is where I ride off into the sunset.............."Days Go By" mailpup..!..it been a pleasure....even tho I hate you :) ....(do you see the smiley?).....if not....lololol....

later.....
dgxx,

I'm pleased you solved your problem even though I'm sure I didn't really do much. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back