TechSpot

Noise cancellation technique harnesses magnets to silence CPU fans [video]

By Rick
Jun 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Whether they want to be or not, many PC enthusiasts are well-acclimated to noisy fans; however, some choose quiet operation over impressive overclocking. Of course, that's exactly the problem: quietness traditionally comes at the cost of performance. Noctua's "ANC project"...

Read more

2. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 877   +130

This would be really cool, and hopefully won't come at an outrageous price.

avoidz likes this.
  3. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 511   +84

How come no one has figure out a way to implement Dyson's bladeless fan technology for CPU and card cooling?

4. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,828   +546

Reminds me of a quote from The Bucket List...

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,003   +1,503

I'm guessing the video should work. Or is it simply my low market share web browser Opera at fault?

tehbanz likes this.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,087   +747

It may be a while before we see it released for general consumption by the public.

7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,088   +716

Those fans do have blades they're just in the pedestal. http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/home/dyson-bladeless-fan1.htm

This could be awesome technology, but as the article mentions they'll have to figure out something for the GPU too. Perhaps they can separate the noise cancelling tech from the fan and make a stand alone contraption to put in a PC. maybe in a 5.25in drive bay?

fimbles likes this.
  8. tehbanz

tehbanz TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

Not working in chrome either.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  9. stbecker

stbecker TS Rookie Posts: 32

A built-in mic on a fan plus magnets on each blade that use a physically applied magnetic field to counteract noise. Ya, that's probably going to cost a little bit. Look how much more it is (than a stock fan) just to push water around in a case to cool things off.

I agree with the solution needing to address the GPU as well since those suckers can be annoyingly loud too. My thought would be to have a central/combined cooling unit in the concept more like the power supply -- a single source that addresses the whole. I do understand that requires a pretty big shift in how PCs are currently built.

10. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,540   +321

Video feed fixed :)

cliffordcooley likes this.
  11. Dyson's "bladeless" tech does not generate much static pressure like you need to push air through a heat exchangers fins. Might work better for moving air through a low restriction design case.

12. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,982   +908

I hope this is cheap enough.

13. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 633   +60

You mean something like a radiator? This would be nice for your radiator fans.

14. Seventh Reign

Seventh Reign TS Rookie Posts: 89   +33

Hello? This is Noctua .... it'll cost no less than $80

15. They have a speaker to make that loud sound... then they turn it off and everyone is like wow...

16. ypsylon

ypsylon TS Rookie Posts: 45   +6

Great I take two noise dampeners for ridiculously noisy MSI TF 7950.

17. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Seems like a great idea.

18. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 975   +87

Nice news! Hopefully this can be designed into other fans, GPU coolers included.

19. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,264   +148

You burst my bubble... I always thought they worked on some kind of "ion thruster" technology.

20. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Enthusiast Posts: 218   +6

Solid state fans (yes google it) is a fan with NO moving parts first revealed like 5 years ago I would like to see these in production let alone focusing development on current tech.

21. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

That is rather awesome, I also hope it doesn't come with too high a price.

22. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 511   +84

MilwaukeeMike likes this.
  23. Jbucko

Jbucko TS Rookie Posts: 33

I hope they come out with a kit for radiator fans.

24. stonarda

stonarda TS Enthusiast Posts: 180   +17

The fanless technology isn't entirely true... There is a fan at the base of the big round thing and this pumps air around the circle which travels through vents on a certain side. This creates a 'pull effect', making more air go through the loop. :)

*edit, sorry this has already been said

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.