Nokia Lumia 920 to be an AT&T exclusive, arrives in November

Jos

Staff

Microsoft and Nokia jointly announced the Lumia 820 and 920 at a press event in New York last month, but stopped short of committing to a price point or release date. Though that’s still pretty much in the air for would-be US buyers, today AT&T announced it will carry both of Nokia’s upcoming Windows Phone 8 devices starting November, with the higher end Lumia 920 launching exclusively on the company’s LTE network.

The two phones are seen as critical to Nokia's short- to mid-term success so it’s a little surprising that they didn’t go for wider availability of their flagship device. Then again, such deals could guarantee Nokia dedicated support and carrier-backed marketing campaigns for its devices. Last year, Nokia also launched its Windows Phone 7 devices in the US with AT&T as its premier partner, but ultimately sales failed to take off.

There's still the possibility that Verizon may have a modified version of the Lumia 920 or that the AT&T’s exclusive is time-limited, but so far neither Nokia nor Verizon have made an official announcement. In contrast, the HTC 8X and 8S have already been announced for AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile.

The Lumia 920 iterates on Nokia’s previous flagship with a 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 dual core processor, a slightly larger 4.5-inch (768 x 1280) curved glass display, a 2,000mAh battery, and a one-piece polycarbonate body. It also features an 8-megapixel PureView camera, built-in wireless charging, and comes in a variety of vibrant colors including red, white, black, yellow, and cyan.

Permalink to story.

I understand that the exclusivity practice means more money for Nokia up front, but they should be concerned more with gaining market share than pure profits.

What an UGLY looking phone!

Be sure to buy one ASAP!

Loaded with 100% Microsoft CRAPWARE!

I understand that the exclusivity practice means more money for Nokia up front, but they should be concerned more with gaining market share than pure profits.

I think you hit the nail on the head.They need to get this on the market across the board. Windows is a bit behind the iStuff and Android. I use to be a Mobile PC person myself until I purchased an android phone. I've never looked back.

I have been a Nokia fan and waiting to replace my Android phone with the 920, but now it's AT&T exclusive, what a HUGE disappointment. Reading the negative sentiment around the web, I think Nokia has shot themselves in the foot, and in their arse. Not only has they lost sales (hope they got a big payout from AT&T), they also lost many loyal fans. Because of this exclusive deal, I will not even be contemplating 820.

Bye Nokia. At least you gave me an excuse to stay exclusive to my current carrier. And hello HTC.

I'm very surprised at the exclusivity of this phone to AT$T.

I think you hit the nail on the head.They need to get this on the market across the board. Windows is a bit behind the iStuff and Android. I use to be a Mobile PC person myself until I purchased an android phone. I've never looked back.

I'm not disagreeing with either of you, but the Apple was exclusive with the iPhone when it was released and it worked out ok for them. :)

I'm not disagreeing with either of you, but the Apple was exclusive with the iPhone when it was released and it worked out ok for them. :)

Apple was also the first of phone of it's kind. Windows Phone is the 3rd (behind Android) & also entering with a tarnished name brand after the OS known as Windows Mobile. I personally know WP7.5 is great (and WP8 should be even better), but many people just see "Windows" and run the other way. So why go to to a carrier that is the "iPhone" carrier. Most people go to AT&T simply because of the iPhone. This phone needed to be made available to Sprint, T-Mobile & Verizon as well. Especially considering the fact it's release date comes AFTER iPhone 5. Nokia should expect to have a horrible quarter after this bone headed move. Many disappointed potential customers, no one wants the HTC 8X but now we're left with no choice.

Back