Nokia pushes DSL speeds to 825Mbps

Emil

Staff

Nokia Siemens Networks has announced that it has successfully tested a technology that could boost the data-carrying capacity of standard copper wires. The result is astonishing: speeds of 825Mbps over a distance of 400 meters of bonded copper lines and 750Mbps over a distance of 500 meters. Right now, we are only starting to see the availability of DSL that can deliver 100Mbps. If this technology is ever christened as viable enough to go commercial, it would allow ISPs that offer DSL to push out even more from their copper infrastructure.

NSN manages to pull off the feat by creating phantom (virtual) channels that "supplement the two physical wires that are the standard configuration for copper transmission lines." First shown off by Alcatel-Lucent's Bell Labs in April 2010, the approach is called Phantom DSL and can boost bandwidth between 50 to 75 percent over existing bonded copper lines. "Laying down new optical fiber to the home remains costly, though it is capable of delivering very high speeds and is a definite solution for long-term bandwidth requirements,” Eduard Scheiterer, NSN's head of broadband access business line, said in a statement. "However, the innovative use of technologies such as phantom circuits helps operators provide an efficient last mile connectivity with existing copper wires."

It is quite surprising to see DSL technologies based on copper wiring staying competitive with cable broadband and fiber. Upgrades in DSL speeds are coming at a useful time: DSL has started to lose market momentum, and carriers don't want to just drop it after all the money they've already invested. While fiber networks are better in the long run, most phone companies need to squeeze out more from their copper networks without losing too much ground to cable broadband rivals as the world shifts to wireless networks. That being said, these new DSL technologies are still in the labs and may not work very well over long distances, not to mention all the other technical restrictions. Somehow we doubt you'll ever get 800Mbps at home, from DSL anyway.

Permalink to story.

This is very impressive. My questions is, is the reason that cable has faster speed than DSL due to the cable architecture, i.e. cable was more strands per wire so it can carry more data?

I was under the impression that DSL used the old copper phone lines while Cable "BroadBand" used fiber optics, or at the very least something better than copper.

anshrew said:
I was under the impression that DSL used the old copper phone lines while Cable "BroadBand" used fiber optics, or at the very least something better than copper.
I always though my cable internet actually used my cable lines, which I thought were copper. I mean, it comes into the house and i split it, one goes to the tv one goes to the modem.

I have to admit this is impressive.
South Korea might get its average speed to 1000 mbps by its deadline.

400 meters.. i need like 15 miles. thats if this would come to my country/state/small town...

400 meters...that is not all that good. Yes it is an "improvement" but only slightly. Now if they had said 2-3km we would have something to talk about.

It will specially handy on third world countries where cooper based networks are already in place and would be to expensive to replace. Countries like Mexico will benefit the most due to it size.

This is all good news but still useless as far as i'm concerned. I don't think we have enough backbone internet infrastructure to support these speeds for everyone at once. I get the impression we are already way oversubscribed in terms of numbers of users promised X amount of bandwidth to the internet, while only Y amount is available because everyone is using it. Maybe I don't know what i'm talking about and there is plenty of reserve bandwidth, but I just think we should increase our bandwidth within the infrastructure first, then worry about the all the fingers reaching out in the cities.

wow i have 10meg and think its ok but 800 meg would be sick lol. i think a 50meg standard would be great for dsl.

Haha @ TomSEA. Yeah, it looks like the returns diminish quickly with added meters given.

It's such a shame I won't see any of these massive speedy internet connections, since I live in the 50th state, close to the middle of the pacific ocean, 6 hours plane ride from California. Our fastest internet connection here is Roadrunner, which gives 1MB upload, which is decent/average speed for online gaming, but I wish I could get my hands on monthly fiber-optic, or something along these lines.

Wow this would be awesome as I could see it helping out smaller towns, such as mine where the fastest connection you can get is 6mbps DSL

Now if they could actually start pushing 10mbps lines here in our neighborhood (Philippines) then maybe I could start dreaming about getting a 100mbps DSL connection :)

Now this isn't the first time I heard of a new sort of technology or algorithm that could improve the DSL speeds. The last I remember was a young man from Australia. Not sure what ever happened with that. Now I wonder, how fast do the speeds of this particular technology deteriorate as distance increases? DSL from AT&T at my house is very unstable and slow because I'm basically at least 10,000 ft. from the nearest central office. So, stretch this tech out to to 10,000 ft. and what does 825 Mbit's turn to?

It will be 80 years before we see anything like that in New Zealand, we are already behind and the govt refuses to increase fibre optic to nearest continent, so we'll be sitting here with our lovely 6.5mb/s (even Kazakstan has a higher average download speed) while the rest of the world streaks ahead...

No, its how it operates. Cable is a single Coax cable. it has to do with the frequency and channel spacing. But 500meters? This is almost worthless. Unless your sitting right on top of the branch office you would get nothing...

From where Im from, 6Mbps is already expensive. And sometimes you don't even get what you pay for. 1Gbps.. one can just imagine the power you wield when you have this.

I hope this technology hits mainstream usage soon... at&t has already started using pair bonding in my town for their uverse hybrid fiber/copper FTTN IPTV technology to supposedly almost double their range from the VRAD to the copper "last mile" to the home but even with that extension of range I am still too far to qualify for the service. Sigh... time warner cable service is craptacular in my area for both video and internet service so I am forced to putter along at about 2.6 mbps and getting robbed monthly by directv. Hell, I would kill for at least 6 mbps so anything else above that is just gravy.

I just found out Shaw internet. in a few citys in canada are testing out 1 Gigabit internet. OMFG Dam i figerd the 100 mbps they have in my area was fast..

Back