Noob needs advise on linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishrams

Ok heres my problem i have a acer aspire one netbook that i can not get to work. Now i question is can i install linux on this computer as a primary os? And if so which one is the best one to install? Any help would be greatly appriciated. Any info you need i can post just ask.
-Ishmael

Is it just me, or are there no knowledgeable Linux users on this forum? I thought Linux was popular... I guess not

What exactly do you mean by "cannot get to work..."?

As far as I know, you'll most definitely be able to install Linux on any comp. Ubuntu is a great distro for beginners and has a very active and helpful community ( much like us here at Techspot! :D) Just check out the system requirements once before you install. It shouldn't be a problem.

Knowledgeable... Nope That's Not Me....

Which might not be so bad since I can state categorically that "Ubuntu" is the distro most likely to be honored with the designation, "Linux for dummies"

Download and burn a copy of " Ubuntu 9" to CD. You can try it before you buy it, by running the OS right off the CD in what's called a "live session".

Should you like it, it's installable right from the same disc, by GUI. It's very nearly as easy to install as XZ, a dozen clicks and you're there.

There's an easy to understand HDD partitioning tool, and an excellent bootloader "GRUB". These features are also accessed through GUI.

Ubuntu will install and run with as little as 384MB of RAM.

Get it to try here; http://www.ubuntu.com/

Ritwik7 does have quite a valid question that needs to be answered first, "what do you mean you can't get the netbook to work"?

@ Captaincranky: "You can try it before you buy it" - It's free according to my knowledge. :)

When i say it don't work it's because i keep getting a BSOD that i can't fix so im thinking instead of having it jus sit there i could put linux on it. Cd rom is not an option all i got is an usb hubs. Is there any way to put linux on a usb stick.

When i say it don't work it's because i keep getting a BSOD that i can't fix so im thinking instead of having it jus sit there i could put linux on it. Cd rom is not an option all i got is an usb hubs. Is there any way to put linux on a usb stick.
As long as the USB bus is in the boot order, yes. Most of the Linux websites have information on installing through LAN also. Actually, CD ROM isn't out of the question, if you can snag an external CD drive to do the install. Snag = beg, borrow, or steal!

Well i can't get my hands on a external cd drive but i have two question's. 1. How do i do the lan method? 2. So i jus download it from that website. But how big is the download file?

Ok to install a os of linux with a usb stick can someone give me a step by step guide on how to do it. I want to install ubuntu. Within the guide can you have a step by step of what to download if possible. Thanks in advance.
-Ishmael

@ Captaincranky: "You can try it before you buy it" - It's free according to my knowledge. :)
I'm aware of that. That is just a turn of phrase, what I intended to mean by "buy it", was that you could see if you like the OS, before you committed to a HDD full install. I probably should have, added "so to speak", for the literal minded reader.

Ok to install a os of linux with a usb stick can someone give me a step by step guide on how to do it. I want to install ubuntu. Within the guide can you have a step by step of what to download if possible. Thanks in advance.
-Ishmael
Have you considered doing a restore install of Windows before you do anything this radical.

The scope of your request a first reading seems a trifle expansive. There is some question in my mind as to whether someone who cannot get Windows to work, which is a fairly well documented procedure, is up to dealing with the more exotic Linux OS. As to summarily requesting that a member "write a complete tutorial" that is something that someone would choose to do, rather the have the task forced upon them.

My suggestion was to follow the link I provided to the Ubuntu site, and using some independent initiative, find out what you can learn.

At the top of this page is also a great tutorial about a dual boot system with Linux, where you might also glean some insight.

As I like to point out, "Ubuntu will install with a dozen or so clicks", the instructions reside on the screen in GUI form.

Where someone might run into problems, is with exotic hardware configurations, drivers, and command line modifications to the OS, which BTW, I am really not qualified to explain.

Basically you would download an i386 32 bit version of Ubuntu, burn it to disc as an image, load the disc into a CD drive and away you go. As I said also, the easiest course of action would be to round up a CD drive, plug it into the USB port, and away you go. I think you can also have the website install the OS via the internet. I know it can be installed through LAN. Here again, you would have to go to the website to garner the specifics of the procedure For tonight at least, here endeth the lesson.

Well i have already posted a post on getting sum help on my BSOD but no one was able to help that is why i asked if anyone could help me. Sorry if i sound to Noobish but it's because i don't know to much about computers. Now as for the links thats were provided for me to read i tried to but some of the computer terms i did not understand like grub, gui. Etc those terms i did not understand so any help is appriciated. And the post about my BSOD is in the appropriate forums so you may look it up if you wanna take a go at it.

Hi Ishrams,

GUI - Graphical User Interface
GRUB - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_GRUB

And, please Google a little bit more. I'm sure you'll find all that you need. Great tutorials are always available somewhere or the other.

@ Captaincranky : No offence. It was in jest. Peace. :)

Well if i can find the winxp home sp3 os i have my product key but i need to download it and i don't know from where. Anyone have a internet site.

Without going into great detail about your personal finances, as to why you might not be able to do so, at least consider my suggestion of getting an extra DVD drive. They do so come in handy from time to time.

If your experience level is fairly low, it seems the reinstall of XP is your best bet. It's much easier to find assistance.

Manufacturer policies very with respect to the "Product Key", on desktops they stick it right on the case. Point being, well just point being.

The first thing you should is find out how do you restore a netbook. I never owned a netbook, and likely never will. I just don't know to restore one. So, I'd have to learn along with you, anyway.

My first, (and possibly last) suggestion here is , contact the manufacturer to find out how it's done. perhaps their "restore disc" actually is a USB Flash drive.

I Perhaps incorrectly assumed that you would recognize the term "gooey" (GUI) graphic user interface from the Apple, "I'm a PC" ads. But in hindsight, they never did explain what "gooey" was, they just poked fun at it.

Installing Linux seems like a ridiculous "knee-jerk" response to a Windows problem, especially for an inexperienced user. The manufacturer is you friend, he wants you to buy more netbooks from him, therefore he should be willing to help you.

I don't know where to get Windows discs. I keep mine in safe places, and guard them with my life. I keep restore discs with the same rules applying.

Perhaps a thread in "Windows OS" might "net" you some help. Yeah bad pun, so what?

I still find it impractical, and myself unwilling, to conform to a "send me a text and I'll write you a book", sounding request.

@Ritwik7, acutally my response to your "Linux is free" was quite measured, since I really couldn't determine if you were joking or not. That's the problem with when you're reading from "paper" rather than having a conversation in person, the intent is less understood. A word of caution, please don't post back, "but this isn't paper, this is the internet", I WILL go off on you!

BTW, Linux isn't always "free", Ubuntu is always free, but there are corporations such as "Red Hat" and "SUse" that sell, install, and maintain Linux operating systems. So there! :haha: And don't think you're going to have Ritwiks 1 through 6 gang up on me either! :haha:

Your original question with respect to "which Linux should I get", has been answered. Your follow up question as to, "how to get it on a netbook", has been answered.

So, that means that this thread has been resolved.

If the topic has shifted to Windows, then open a new thread, in the "Windows" forum.

Linux for Acer one

Your original question with respect to "which Linux should I get", has been answered. Your follow up question as to, "how to get it on a netbook", has been answered.

So, that means that this thread has been resolved.

If the topic has shifted to Windows, then open a new thread, in the "Windows" forum.

Just trying to be helpful, even though the thread is closed...

1 - Ubuntu will work on Acer one, but after alot of tweaking. For example the Atheros wifi card won't work out of the box. Some remixes work better, but not totally. Ubuntu has a very interesting remix called easyPeasy (http://www.geteasypeasy.com/) but again, I think it needs post install tweaking.

If you are a noob, I would suggest...

2 - Download the Acer-ised linux known as Linpus linux. Originally the Acer one was released (in Europe anyway) with this OS. You can find it on Torrent sites (e.g. http://www.mininova.org/tor/1618012) and probably on the Acer site. It includes ALL the drivers are built in so no issues with post installation tweaking and stuff not working.

This is open source under the GPL licence so referencing it here is not against the site rules. Please be aware that referencing illegal download probably is against site rules

3 - As Captaincranky said, get an external DVD/CD. Don't know how much they are where you are, but here in Spain, 49€ gets you a pretty decent device. You won't regret it. Then with your download, you can burn an ISO disk and install Linux.

4 - I just installed WinXP pro on an Acer one and believe me it was not as straightforward as you'd think. Once installed, you then have to go to the Acer site and download 8 seperate drivers (trackpad, Realtek audio, wi-fi, ethernet, USB, camera, screen driver and I forget the last one!).

5 - Many Linux distros come as a live-ISO, meaning you can run the whole OS without installing. Like try-before-you-buy, but obviously many Linux distros are Open Source so its really try-before-you-overwritewhatyoualreadyhave.

Hope that helps

-Ishmael
What do you think that was that I linked IMMEDIATELY before you posted this? Did you even click the link? I guess it doesn't matter now if you are going a different route, but damn, the link explained everything.

Just trying to be helpful, even though the thread is closed...

1 - Ubuntu will work on Acer one, but after alot of tweaking. For example the Atheros wifi card won't work out of the box. Some remixes work better, but not totally. Ubuntu has a very interesting remix called easyPeasy (http://www.geteasypeasy.com/) but again, I think it needs post install tweaking.

If you are a noob, I would suggest...

2 - Download the Acer-ised linux known as Linpus linux. Originally the Acer one was released (in Europe anyway) with this OS. You can find it on Torrent sites (e.g. http://www.mininova.org/tor/1618012) and probably on the Acer site. It includes ALL the drivers are built in so no issues with post installation tweaking and stuff not working.

This is open source under the GPL licence so referencing it here is not against the site rules. Please be aware that referencing illegal download probably is against site rules

3 - As Captaincranky said, get an external DVD/CD. Don't know how much they are where you are, but here in Spain, 49€ gets you a pretty decent device. You won't regret it. Then with your download, you can burn an ISO disk and install Linux.

4 - I just installed WinXP pro on an Acer one and believe me it was not as straightforward as you'd think. Once installed, you then have to go to the Acer site and download 8 seperate drivers (trackpad, Realtek audio, wi-fi, ethernet, USB, camera, screen driver and I forget the last one!).

5 - Many Linux distros come as a live-ISO, meaning you can run the whole OS without installing. Like try-before-you-buy, but obviously many Linux distros are Open Source so its really try-before-you-overwritewhatyoualreadyhave.

Hope that helps

OK Algoz that is mostly info that has already been given to the OP here. I'm not trying to fault you for that. The general tone of the requests made in this thread have been "funky" at best. As you're posting from Spain, (but your English seems close to perfect), I hope you understand the connotations.

Our OP has a "Netbook which he can "not get to work" but he "has the product key"! OK, anyone in the possession of the netbook would likey have the product key, since they're usually stuck to the side of the machine. Portability doesn't seem to matter to OEMs, since my new Toshiba Satellite has the sticker right on the bottom. He who has the machine, has the product key, amen

Netbooks are fairly recent developments, and it does give one pause to wonder, that if the OS is indeed the problem, why not use the restore features that were provided by the manufacturer.

Linux will (presumably) overwrite the existing OS, whether or not a prospective user is so entitled to do so.
Our OP was given links to the Ubuntu website, and was only one click from a netbook version of the distro, with full instructions on how to mount the download on a USB drive.

Instead of trying to assimilate the info at the site, our OP requested that a complete "step by step tutorial" be written for him, presumably because he "knew almost nothing about computers. However, in the next statement, terms like "ripping XP Pro to an ISO were being tossed around.

As you know, support is given on a voluntary basis here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back