Not sure if a virus, or a windows error?

Solved
By enderlicious
Sep 15, 2012
  1. I've got a stubborn undeleteable file.

I'm on a 32bit windows XP, and I've tried unlocker (which for some reason won't run now, and I can't find a webpage to figure that out, since google just brings up: you can't use this with 64bit...).

I've tried LockHunter and FileASSASSIN, both of which say that they can't affect the file, since the file doesn't have a valid name. But the name: beacon.js - looks completely valid to me.

Attached Files:

2. Broni

Broni Malware Annihilator Posts: 46,319   +252

Why exactly do you need to delete that file?
    What is the file name and location?
  3. enderlicious

enderlicious Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 61

Because I like having clean directories. Also, it's a power and control issue, the damn computer is s'posed to do what I tell it to do, especially for non-system folders.

F:\Transfers\delete_me\Web_2011-05-31\pinkielicious_files\daisy_data_003\daisy_data\daisy_data\daisy_data\daisy_data\virtue_none_ugc_data\aT03NzYscz0zMDB4MjUwLG49aWZyYW1lLGI9MA_data\iframe3_data\aT0xMTgyLHM9MzAweDI1MCxuPWlmcmFtZSxiPTA_data\
  4. Broni

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
    Download Mirror #1
    Download Mirror #2

64-bit users go HERE
    • Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
    • Vista users:: Right click on SystemLook.exe, click Run As Administrator
    • Copy the content of the following box and paste it into the main textfield:
      Code:
      :file
      F:\Transfers\delete_me\Web_2011-05-31\pinkielicious_files\daisy_data_003\daisy_data\daisy_data\daisy_data\daisy_data\virtue_none_ugc_data\aT03NzYscz0zMDB4MjUwLG49aWZyYW1lLGI9MA_data\iframe3_data\aT0xMTgyLHM9MzAweDI1MCxuPWlmcmFtZSxiPTA_data\beacon.js 

• Click the Look button to start the scan.
    • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
    Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt
  5. enderlicious

SystemLook 30.07.11 by jpshortstuff
    Log created at 21:57 on 15/09/2012 by primary
    Administrator - Elevation successful

========== file ==========

F:\Transfers\delete_me\Web_2011-05-31\pinkielicious_files\daisy_data_003\daisy_data\daisy_data\daisy_data\daisy_data\virtue_none_ugc_data\aT03NzYscz0zMDB4MjUwLG49aWZyYW1lLGI9MA_data\iframe3_data\aT0xMTgyLHM9MzAweDI1MCxuPWlmcmFtZSxiPTA_data\beacon.js - Unable to find/read file.

-= EOF =-
  6. enderlicious

Hmm, that's an interesting output - but I can select it and get properties on it.

3.36 KB (3,441 bytes)
    Sunday, August 12, 2012, 7:40:17 PM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011, 12:12:18 PM
    Yesterday, September 14, 2012, 6:13:01 AM
  7. enderlicious

Hohoho! It allowed me to delete the file!!
    And, it allowed me to delete the directories too. Thanks!
  8. enderlicious

Last question, do you know why Unlocker isn't starting/running (and would that application have done the job?). I used Unlocker awhile back, and rather liked it (esp. its small filesize).
  9. Broni

I use Unlocker myself.
    Did you try to reinstall it?
  10. enderlicious

Awhile back I did, when I couldn't get it to launch. Let me try again.

Hmm, didn't find it on add/remove programs (but did just bash LockHunter)

Found it in the folder "unlocker1.9.0-portable" (which readme claims it does both 32 & 64 bit stuff) - tried applications again, no dice. Hmm, also found a leftover folder for LockHunter - going to try removing both folders and deleting. Can't delete folders. Killed a process for Unlocker Assistant. UnlockerHook.dll is in use... Irony! :D

Okay, going to try a reboot and see if that frees them up, then I'll be back to edit this reply more. Rebooting let me delete both of those dlls.

Well, tried a reinstall.

Main webpage links to here:
    http://www.brothersoft.com/download-unlocker-portable-431245.html

I get nothing but a 'do you want to run this unknown program' warning after clicking on it. Zero for drag-n-drop. How should I be testing this?
  11. Broni

12. enderlicious

So, we're going with the assumption that the portable version is a fail?

I try and use portable versions, so I can see if they work - and then add them to the thumb-drive for use when I'm visiting other people's computers / at the library. Since people get antsy when you tell them to install programs on their computers.
  13. Broni

I'm not sure what to tell you. Never used portable version.
  14. enderlicious

Well, the non-portable version is working for now. So, solved?
  15. Broni

I'd say so :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.