TechSpot

NSA violated privacy rules thousands of times, leaked audit reveals

By Scorpus
Aug 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. An audit leaked by The Washington Post has revealed a staggering amount of privacy violations performed by the National Security Agency (NSA), resulting in thousands of cases of unauthorized surveillance on Americans each year.

Read more

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,693   +86

NSA (National Security Agency) sounds like they need an agency to regulate (watch) them! WSA Watchdog Security Agency!

BlueDrake and RenGood08 like this.
  3. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,171   +176

Woah no way!? You mean a government agency abused their power and did something illegal and immoral? Who would have thought?

cliffordcooley likes this.
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,137   +1,530

For everyone that doesn't see the harm in this, I truly hope you were the ones being violated.

For those of you who don't see the harm in this, would you try and seek out restitution for being violated? No need in answering, because I know what you say, would not be what you do.

5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,133   +731

If area code 202 were North Dakota I might believe this was an honest error, but 202 is Washington DC. So the NSA 'accidentally' intercepted a whole ton of phone calls in Washington DC in an election year. Last time one side of a presidential election spied on the other it was called Watergate.

I doubt anyone would ever know their privacy was violated. So long as you don't publicly insult our president our violations of our constitutional rights will remain unnoticed.

BlueDrake and cliffordcooley like this.
  6. cliffordcooley

OMG, that link was so funny! LMAO

7. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Booster Posts: 183   +39

Ouch. I was hoping the FISA was a bit better than it seems it is. Mishandling will negatively impact what should be a useful tool. I know it is human nature to 'push the envelope', so I wish the agency would carefully respect the limits and make good use of the tool. Sadly, it appears they have not.

8. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

Geez, blaming the computers seems like a new low, even for the government.

BlueDrake and cliffordcooley like this.
  9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,207   +776

"NSA violated privacy rules thousands of times"
    I'm surprised. That's not very much by NSA standards.

SantistaUSA likes this.
  10. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,020   +153

Lol, an 'audit' finds the NSA violating privacy rules and still no heads rolled, not even an apology from the government/president?
    what's the use of an 'internal audit' if nobody is accountable in the real world?
    who will police the police?

I'm lucky that I have not travelled to the u.s.
    (I have fear of heights/airplanes :) ; I have an unkempt appearance therefore 'suspicious-looking')

11. spencer

spencer TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +22

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants".-Thomas Jefferson

cliffordcooley likes this.

12. cliffordcooley

Smart man, wish he was wrong though. :/

13. Basically, the people in the goverment has to much power and no body watch how they use it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.