ntvdm cpu illegal instruction .. help wid DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

uapak

hey.. this is realy annoying.. whenever i go to cmd through start>run i get the message "16 bit ms dos subsystem 'ntvdm cpu has performed an illegal instruciton" i get two choices, continue and ignore but booth of them close the window. When i open cmd from the system32 folder, it works fine. But when i need to install an application or run something, the same message pops up when it needs to run Dos. Please help me out, its been bugging me for a week and i cant fix it.

ntvdm cpu error

i also got the same annoying 16-bit ms-dos subsystem error
i can't access any file from my cd-rom including mp3, movies, jpeg formatted pictures, game setup programs, hp printer setup, to name a few without encountering this "The NTVDM CPU has performed an illegal instruction"

Win XP SP2, 256 DDRAM, 128mb video
AVG 7 antivirus, latest virus definitions

Please help me fix this problem without re-installing the OS
Thanks...

Boot in Safe Mode.
Switch System restore OFF, see how here.
In Windows Explorer, turn on "show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.

Click on Start/Run and type in regedit and click on OK.
In regedit, click on File/Export, then click on All under Export range. Give the file a name and save it.
Then click on Edit/Find and search for configs.exe. Mind the spelling with an s!
When found, rightclick and delete the entry, then press F3 to find the next key, etc.
When done, use Explorer to find and delete configs.exe.
Delete all files and directories from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp
Repeat this for ALL [usernames].
Delete all files and directories from: C:\WINDOWS\Temp (except files dated from TODAY).
Boot normal. When all OK, switch System Restore back on.

thanks again for a very good advice

last night i sat down and took a very long look at my computer and here are some of what i found:

cd-rom drive is not recognized or not detected upon bootup
cd-rom drive is "working properly" in the device manager cd-rom properties
under the device manager SCSI and RAID Controllers, and there was a message "unknown device"

since i cannot reinstall p4vmm2 mobo drivers from my cd-rom due to ntvdm cpu errors, i am at loss whether to buy a new cd-rom, a new mobo, or a brand new computer

Try this:
Click on Start/Run and type in sfc /scannow and click OK. Keep your XP-CD handy.
This checks for file consistency.

Borrow someone else's CD-drive to try out. Any old drive will do.

You may have a virus or trojan.
Get HijackThis from www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/; it MUST have its own directory, e.g. Program Files\HJT!
-- HJT needs that to make Backups of all 'fixes', so you can 'undo' a wrong fix!
Then see How to post your Hijackthis log-files as an attachment.

im sorry but i have not fixed my problem
i have donwloaded all current xp fixes but my problem persists
my computer is now down, no power
im going to have it repaired, perhaps buy a new psu, mobo, and have my hd reformatted and my xp os re-installed...
btw, my avg antivirus did not find any virus/trojan
microsoft anti-spyware did not find any spyware..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back