Nvidia boss Jensen Huang calls ChatGPT the greatest thing to ever happen to the computing...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Jensen Huang, the co-founder and CEO of Nvidia, has been singing the praises of ChatGPT, calling it an "iPhone moment" for artificial intelligence and the greatest thing to ever happen to the computing industry.

Generative AIs, especially GhatGPT, have seen their popularity explode in recent months, with companies rushing to implement them into their products. It's also led to the launch of hundreds of startups based around the technology. Nvidia boss Huang recently gave his glowing verdict when he appeared as one of the high-profile guests during Berkeley Haas University's Dean's Speaker series.

When asked about ChatGPT by a student during the Q&A, Huang highlighted how many people have started using the chatbot in such a short time. The 100 million users it added in the first few months makes it the fastest-growing consumer app in history, though ChatGPT says it considers itself a tool rather than an app.

"When was the last time we saw a piece of technology that is so versatile that it can solve problems and surprise people in so many ways so often? It can write a poem of course […] It could fill out a spreadsheet; it can write a SQL query and do a SQL query; it can write python code; it can write Verilog, and so you know, if it can't do it today, of course, it will be able to do it someday," Jensen said. "This is the iPhone moment, if you will, of artificial intelligence."

Huang went on to say how ChatGPT's API can be connected to spreadsheets, PowerPoint, a drawing or photo editing program, and much more to improve the programs.

Taking about ChatGPT's rate of diffusion, Huang said, "This is no different than when browsers were created and somebody overnight created JavaScript and you got a website that was quite surprising. Or when the iPhone came out and somebody wrote something and took about a couple of weekends and they have a piece of software that they can download from the app store."

Huang finished with a flurry on how ChatGPT's program-writing abilities could change the landscape. "Literally everyone can program a computer," he said. "We have democratized computing in a very, very large way."

It's no surprise Huang is so positive about ChatGPT. Nvidia is a major player in the AI world, creating both the hardware and software behind much of the industry. The company's share price has jumped 33% this month on the back of the ChatGPT interest, and the chatbot's growth is predicted to result in sales of $3 billion to $11 billion for Nvidia across the next 12 months.

With Google, Microsoft, and even China's Baidu all integrating ChatGPT or similar services into their products, it looks like we have entered a new age of artificial intelligence. But as with all new technologies, there are fears about generative AI's potential harms, including feeding users incorrect information, allowing students to cheat at exams, and workers using it without telling their bosses.

Permalink to story.

LOL.

More like iPhone moment for our little Jensen. He must be pissing himself from happiness right now, cause AI is mostly nvidia's turf, so he expects huge megasuperprofits, aka Tim Cook and his fruit company.
Gonna be fun to see abandoning gaming audience by ngreedia, like "here's, get your RTX 5090 for 10000$ and that's all, gtfo, I have more interesting things to do now"

LOL.

More like iPhone moment for our little Jensen. He must be pissing himself from happiness right now, cause AI is mostly nvidia's turf, so he expects huge megasuperprofits, aka Tim Cook and his fruit company.
Gonna be fun to see abandoning gaming audience by ngreedia, like "here's, get your RTX 5090 for 10000$ and that's all, gtfo, I have more interesting things to do now"
no big deal.

if youre smart youll just move on and give your money to amd or intel(it seems theyre trying) and if gaming is all you really use your pc for then a move to consoles isn't out of the question, unless your a mod addict.

no one owes these companies anything.

ChatGPT in Bing was a huge failure

I'm still getting MUCH more relevant page results in Google

Too easy to train this crap with misinformation
I am no fan of AI, or the state of search results from Bing, however, I have one question to ask of you. Did you sign up for the AI Bing, and have they sent you a link that said the AI Bing is available for your use, and if so, is your response based on using the Bing from the link they sent you?

Unless you get the invite from Bing, then its the old Bing that you are still using with all the drawbacks it had prior and its "results" based on a crappy "Or" search where it just gives, often, crap results based on "or-ing" all your search terms together.

Back on topic - of course chief Greedia would say this. His "accelerators" are AI oriented.

🖕Chief Greedia.

your link says nowhere that chatGPT isnt being used in bing.

Misinformation tastes really good, doesnt it?

Then I will tell you right now that ChatGPT isnt being used in bing.

Those looking for quick info on ChatGPT and using it in Bing can easily think it is already being used for Bing results without signing up for a long waiting list

It isnt

Then I will tell you right now that ChatGPT isnt being used in bing.

Those looking for quick info on ChatGPT and using it in Bing can easily think it is already being used for Bing results without signing up for a long waiting list

It isnt
Agreed! It is not presently used in Bing. And this supports that determination.

"It can write a poem of course […] It could fill out a spreadsheet; it can write a SQL query and do a SQL query; it can write python code; it can write Verilog..."

And recapitulate that whole million monkey typewriter thing. As long as 0.0001% is good, I guess it's all worth the 99.9999% crap, eh?

"It can write a poem of course […] It could fill out a spreadsheet; it can write a SQL query and do a SQL query; it can write python code; it can write Verilog..."

And recapitulate that whole million monkey typewriter thing. As long as 0.0001% is good, I guess it's all worth the 99.9999% crap, eh?

You can probably do most of these things - write some PowerShell thingy - I have not used excel for 20 odd years - so not sure if macros and their training can learn fuzzy logic or not - give language is quite fuzzy - would be great that I could give a chatbot commands to sort out all my hard drives - leading the harder ones for the bosses judgement ( ie me ) - same for accounting - classifications can be quite fuzzy as well .
If chapbots can do the front end , program or organize the backend - then a lot of tedious file manipulation can be made easy .
Plus the chapbot could hand it's code of to a specialized coder program to clean it up .

Anyway simple scripts that many readers here can write - will be made available to the masses.

We will see a war between good and bad actors using them - eg fraudsters, malware writer - Now you can handle all those spam , phishing attacks so much better from targeting , to setting up bank accounts etc

I can at this point still read if an article or video, has bin published by a human or AI.

And I dont like a future where AI generated content is the new norm.

It will create the same "lazyness" or "highly addictive content" we see when you spawn open Youtube.

I never search for one answer to a question or problem. I want to see the various answers, solutions and perspectives on the different solutions so I can determine what I will accept. Getting just one answer seems like madness, as if ChatGPT is now responsible for determining fact.

There's some truth in what he's trying to articulate here, but iPhones? Is that the best analogy he could come up with? Man, he's such a CEO! "It's super amazing". You can practically see the $$$s in his eyes. Watch while they make a dog's dinner of this tech as they try to monetize it.

In the meantime hopefully Nvidia investors will see through him before he finishes turning his consumer GPU business into a bonfire.

Last edited:
Two videos that underscores how big this is are the last Friday/Saturday's (10-Feb-2023) WAN Show and Tom Scott's video on the matter.

Tom Scott has the right take, comparing current ChatGPT not just to iPhone but also to Napster. It's gone mainstream, very mainstream, in a way that only matched by those to products. It's actually even more insane when you have channels like Shadiversity who talks about medieval armaments and fortifications, setting Stable Diffusion up and just using it for fun -- which is more complicated than ChatGPT or just going to google and no-brain downloading the .exe in the top result. ChatGPT and Stable Diffusion might not be the one that we'll settle on, but it is the Napster moment of gamechanging.

WAN Show on the other hand shows just how insanely good New Bing w/ ChatGPT is. Is it the most accurate? No. But it is for all intent and purpose capable of generating a quick wikipedia-esque result for whatever your question is. It managed to pull up a product, summarizes both the good and bad points in the review, recommend the user video reviews to watch, and even recommend users items that goes along with the product in question in both ad-spot form and analyzed textual form. It can even generate an entire essay on how many LTT backpacks can fit in a Model Y. It is insane. I immediately signed up for New Bing because of that. It's not going to be 100% accurate, but if you orient your expectation to that, then it is a good starting point for any research... much like Wikipedia, but much more universal, in simpler language, and tailored to practically any question.

It is huge, and anyone who dismisses it because they don't like one or two person/organization involved in it are stupid. We saw how much Napster transformed the music industry, leading eventually to the new ecosystem we have now with mix of streaming (Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube Music), digital album (iTunes, Bandcamp, direct sales), concerts (indie and mainstream tours), as well as the relegation of physical media to enthusiast collection. It is going to be disruptive, and it's going to be worth learning early on so that you can keep up with the likely rapid pace of adoption and transformation in the following years.

I never search for one answer to a question or problem. I want to see the various answers, solutions and perspectives on the different solutions so I can determine what I will accept. Getting just one answer seems like madness, as if ChatGPT is now responsible for determining fact.
You can. Bing w/ ChatGPT is actually surprisingly cautious with its answer. If you ask "What's the best for X?" it would often answer "It depends, here's a few factors, here's what you might care or not care about it, and here is a link of where I got all of this from."

It still gets some things wrong from time to time, but that's why you're supposed to go through its sources and learn more about where it got its answer from. Also, if you use it as a quick research or composition tool for a subject you know about, you can dispute its answers and it should re-orient itself based on your response to get a more correct response.

I compared it to an "instant Wikipedia". Everyone knows not to trust Wikipedia 100% and check its sources. It is still quite a "garbage-input-in garbage-input-out" but at this point it is more trustable than the typical Google top results for the issue. Good starting point, and it's only going to get better from here. We haven't even seen what GPT 4.0 will be and in the mean time it'll going to have hundreds of thousands of fresh user prompts from New Bing users -- I legitimately cannot picture what it'll be like even later this year, much less the rest of the decade.

Best to just accept that AI is here to stay now and learn how to properly use it.

Back