Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/572-nvidia-geforce-gtx-660/]https://www.techspot.com/review/572-nvidia-geforce-gtx-660/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Those are some pretty impressive benchmark numbers compared to the 660Ti and for $70-$80 cheaper.

I could see a lot of people jumping on this bandwagon and grabbing this card.

Yeah gotta agree some great value here... surprised to see my 580 outpaced in some instances! D: Not enough to warrant an upgrade just yet mind you.. but a clear demonstration of the impressive progress being made between each series in terms of price/performance.

"while folks looking to play at 1080p-like resolutions should probably spend the extra $70 or so on the GTX 660 Ti."

I liked the review right until this part. I mean the gtx 660 Ti is the one that should not be 299 dollars. The HD 7950 boosted or not offers are more compelling card and they are almost the same price. The difference is around 10 lousy bucks.

"while folks looking to play at 1080p-like resolutions should probably spend the extra $70 or so on the GTX 660 Ti."

I liked the review right until this part. I mean the gtx 660 Ti is the one that should not be 299 dollars. The HD 7950 boosted or not offers are more compelling card and they are almost the same price. The difference is around 10 lousy bucks.

Except we were strictly comparing Nvidia cards at that point. Read the full paragraph:

It's a little easier to give advice when comparing Nvidia's cards. For instance, we can say that gamers aiming to play at 1680x1050 or less can safely opt for the GTX 660, while folks looking to play at 1080p-like resolutions should probably spend the extra $70 or so on the GTX 660 Ti. Additionally, the GTX 660 finally puts the 20-month-old GTX 560 Ti to rest, providing over 30% more performance for roughly the same price.

Why is there such a huge price gap this generation for $175?
Why release a cheap card when 1. You still have inventory of the previous series of cards to offload, and 2. it has the ability to kill the sales of the cards above it in the product stack. I'm guessing Nvidia wouldn't have sold many GTX 680's at $499 if the $399 GTX 670 had been released at the same time for example (likewise with the $299 GTX 660 Ti vs the $399 GTX 670).
Anyhow, you wont have to wait much longer

Back