Nvidia GeForce RTX 4060 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the review! As expected Steve mop the floor with the 4000 series.

"The RTX 4060 isn't as egregiously poor as the 4060 Ti, but it's still disappointing, and it's certainly not worth buying at $300. The limited 8GB VRAM buffer is more forgivable at this price, but it's a bitter pill to swallow given that the RTX 3060 offered 12 GB."

1440p_Average-p.webp

Again this makes me feel good for going used 3070 at $300.

4060 is slower than 3070 ~30%, bwahahahah.
This is the first gen in a long time since the 60 series is not faster then older 70 series.
I was expecting something but not that bad. But what can you say about a AD107...

relative-performance-2560-1440.png

If this card doesn't sell, Nvidia will take notice. They are making bank on AI, but they want gamer money too.

I am still predicting a Super refresh with more VRAM to fix the issue. Even more so now that they pushed back the next gen a year on their roadmap.

Underwhelming as expected... except for the 115W power spec. Which makes me interested in whether there's a bus-powered RTX 4050 on the way with decent performance to finally replace the GTX 1650.

This is the first gen in a long time since the 60 series is not faster then older 70 series.
I was expecting something but not that bad.
A significant part of the issue (other than the AD107 really being a xx50 class GPU) is that the 3070 has a substantial fill-rate uplift over any of the 4060 variants and a decent amount of memory bandwidth to go with it. The 3070 and 4060 Ti are pretty much matched in terms of compute and texturing, but there isn't quite enough L2 cache in the latter to make up for the fact that its fill-rate is pretty poor.

I find it remarkable that in the 2023rd Year of the Common Era, you're paying $300 for a card targeted at 1080p whose generational performance improvement at 1440p is within the margin of error as compared to the previous generation. And here I was thinking that 1080p was all but relegated to competitive eSports and 'casual' gaming rigs. I guess the good news is that review sites don't have to bother wasting time on 4K benchmarks to show that 'mainstream 4k gaming' isn't quite here yet. They can try and blame it on more complex and demanding games, but when's the last time we saw game requirements outpace hardware improvements?

front.jpg

The "mighty" MSI Ventus X2 board looks so empty and that GPU there... so little.
4 phase VRM for GPU and 1 phase VRM for GPU.
This could make a 1 slot design posible again and maybe a low profile dual slot.

Loving the satirical "Faster than the RTX 3060 !!!" strapline.

I was expecting the conclusion to be what many would be thinking by the time they got there: "Just pay the extra $20 and get a 6700XT while you still can at current prices"

Not a great time for Nvidia's marketing department, they must think really hard to come up with some ideas how to promote this piece of ****

"a gamer playing 20 hours a week could save up to $132 in energy costs over the course of 4 years, when upgrading from an RTX 3060 to an RTX 4060." HAHAHA

Thanks for the review! As expected Steve mop the floor with the 4000 series.

"The RTX 4060 isn't as egregiously poor as the 4060 Ti, but it's still disappointing, and it's certainly not worth buying at $300. The limited 8GB VRAM buffer is more forgivable at this price, but it's a bitter pill to swallow given that the RTX 3060 offered 12 GB."

1440p_Average-p.webp

Again this makes me feel good for going used 3070 at $300.

Me too, I bought a 3060ti for 200€ a year ago and it's far better than a brand new 300$ (eventually 400€ with VAT) card. Unforgivable.

a gamer playing 20 hours a week could save up to $57-132 in energy costs over the course of 4 years

20 hours a week is a serious part time job. Even if you have that kind of time for gaming now, odds are you won't in the next 4 years.

front.jpg

The "mighty" MSI Ventus X2 board looks so empty and that GPU there... so little.
4 phase VRM for GPU and 1 phase VRM for GPU.
This could make a 1 slot design posible again and maybe a low profile dual slot.
This image also highlights another potential drawback of the 4060 -- it only uses 8 PCI Express lanes (just follow the traces from the bottom of the chip package). Yes it's version 4, so offers the same bandwidth as x16 3.0, but stick this into a PC that only has PCIe 3.0 and you'll take a minor ding in performance, in some games. It's not really a big deal, but it's a bit of a penny-pinching design choice by Nvidia (and AMD for some of its cards).

Wow. That looks like a laptop GPU to me. It's tiny!
That's because it really is a laptop GPU -- it's used for 4060 Mobile, 4050 Mobile, and the RTX 2000 Ada Generation products. The only discrete card it's currently in is the 4060 (though it will appear in the 4050 eventually).

Jensen Huang said it about 3 years ago... (when showing/releasing Ampere?)...

He was touting how great NVidia's new architecture is how it's tensors are so much better from Volta and previous Gens... how they are moving forward with their architecture and gave some demos, etc...

And he said... as you can see we are no longer a Gaming company. (While referring to his latest architecture).

Nearly 3 years later, Jensen keeps trying to shove graphic cards for CUDA use, down Gamer's throats...

Buy a used 3060Ti or better yet a 6700XT which clearly batters this card. Especially at 1440p and likely increasingly so for the years to come with 12GB of VRAM.

7700XT will also likely depress used GPU prices in this segment within a month

All that poor performance and dismal price to performance ratio and yet, it gets a 70 score???

At what point does something as pitiful gets, say, 40 score? This one definitely deserves it!!

Steve, you're too generous, or maybe dozed off (who can blame you) and pressed the wrong keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back