Nvidia launches 500-series mobile graphics with rebadged GT 435M

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Having shipped its first GeForce GTX 500 series desktop graphics card, Nvidia decided it'd be a good time to extend the name to its mobile product line. The company has kicked off its GeForce 500M family with a "new" mid-range chip, the GT 540M. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot to get excited about as Nvidia continues its ongoing practice of rebadging chips.

The latest entry features almost exactly the same specifications as the GeForce GT 435M, including the same 40nm fabrication, 96 CUDA cores, up to 1.5GB of memory with a 128-bit memory bus, and support for DirectX 11. However, thanks to the "maturation of the production process," Nvidia has raised the graphics, processor and memory clocks by a marginal degree.

While the GeForce GT 435M has a core, shader and memory speed of 650MHz, 1,300MHz, and 800MHz, the GT 540M is set at 672MHz, 1,344MHz, and 900Mhz. Despite the 22MHz, 44MHz, and 100MHz increase, power levels remain the same. The updated part is already shipping to Chinese customers in an Acer notebook with global availability expected next month.

Permalink to story.

Even though ati does it too. Nvidia is the greatest offender. This is just ridiculous. How about you use the Tegra architecture to make mobile gpu's you dumbasses!

So if you have a gaming laptop with a bios that supports overclocking or just the right software, you too can make your own GT540M out of your GT435M
AMD's recent 5*** to 6*** mobile update also seems like essentially a name change, although some new 'features' have been added, likely through the driver.....

Nvidia continues its ongoing practice of rebadging chips.
Open invitation to the trolls Matthew ?

Just for those who are getting ready to arm themselves with indignation and Red Bull...
Both AMD and nvidia have a tengancy to view the mobile GPU market as an afterthought, thus we get to the stage where the desktop parts are usually one generation (and one series number) greater than their mobile counterparts.
An example of how the mobile parts morph depending upon the whims of PR...
Mobility Radeon HD 4570 = Mobility Radeon HD 5145 (January 2010) = Mobility Radeon HD 540V (June 2010)
Mobility Radeon HD 4650 = Mobility Radeon HD 5165 (January 2010) = Mobility Radeon HD 560V (June 2010)

[source #1] [source #2]

Oh, and before the green half of the fanboy base pipes up...

GTS 260M = GTS 360M (January 2010).....as an example.

So, between rebrands and allocating higher performing desktop names for much lower performing mobile parts (Mobility HD 5870, GTX 480M etc.), I don't think you'll find to much truth in advertising whichever manufacturer is pushing out the parts.

Just for those who are getting ready to arm themselves with indignation and Red Bull...

:haha: I have to turn the damn web-cam off! and its AMP chef.
I will try to find the article, but I read a few days back the some 5000 series parts were showing up in the mobile sector as 7xxx parts...that's a re-re-brand yes?

I will try to find the article, but I read a few days back the some 5000 series parts were showing up in the mobile sector as 7xxx parts...that's a re-re-brand yes?
Surely not. The article must have been generated by a gossip site. I can't believe that AMD (or nvidia for that matter) would initiate a new series number with a mobile part. If it were a 28nm part or some weird naming convention for an APU then I guess it's possible, but not for a flat-out rebrand.

Surely not. The article must have been generated by a gossip site. I can't believe that AMD (or nvidia for that matter) would initiate a new series number with a mobile part. If it were a 28nm part or some weird naming convention for an APU then I guess it's possible, but not for a flat-out rebrand.

Either the APU, or they need a proofreader on staff. who knows, maybe the 28nm parts are not going to be 7000.
And I don't read gossip sites, now Charlie said that...:)

Either the APU, or they need a proofreader on staff. who knows, maybe the 28nm parts are not going to be 7000.
And I don't read gossip sites, now Charlie said that...:)

I think the Fusion APU's are designated HD 61xx-64xx at this stage.
And yeah, Charlie does come out with some s**t. -OT here (maybe I should stir up the 1100t review comments!)- I got emailed this today. For all the quad and hex core people...
http://www.semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=86715&postcount=228
The pal who emailed me and was going to join up and point out that a lot of games are now using ~100% CPU usage across four cores ( ~66% across six cores if Win7 detects that many) such as here for BFBC2 etc etc. I told him not to bother...a classic case of "There's none so blind as those who will not see" and Charlie's usual "Defend Intel at all costs/Sandy Bridge is more than enough/Who needs 8-core Bulldozer" beatdown of all who oppose.

I'd argue that Nvidia itself openly invites trolls when it ships old products as new ones, and nobody's saying AMD is innocent
I was actually think of nvidia trolls in the first instance, the "What about the X1950XT, what about the, what about the..." crowd. While I agree that nvidia sets the table for criticism, I think it's also quite apparent that a fair percentage of posters add comments based solely on the content of a single article...asking some of them to place what's written into context regarding a wider view of the industry is setting the bar just a tad to high IMO.

In otherwords, people don't do research and are incapable of writing in context (nothing new to see here folks =p ). I completely agree than many users in general just repeat what one person/article says, usually from people/sites that are very critical of the smallest things, and especially when they are biased from one brand to another.

Technically it is a different gpu if they made any of the modifications, made to the gtx 580 from the 480.These serious modifications reduce heat and power usage,which was the 400 series main problems.So to call it a rebadging is a incorrect.

Back