Nvidia launches GeForce GTX 580, new community site

By Matthew
Nov 8, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Nvidia has rolled out the red carpet for its latest flagship graphics card: the GeForce GTX 580. Touted as the world's fastest DirectX 11 GPU, the company has tweaked its GTX 480 to achieve a 20-30% performance-per-watt increase with a ~10 dbA reduction in noise. Its latest offering is reportedly a hair quieter than the GTX 280 and 285, largely thanks to a redesigned cover, a custom vapor chamber, and a more intelligent fan control algorithm.

Read the whole story
  2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,128

i hope the custom vapor chamber works great. specs look great, i just feel bad for the people of have bought an GTX 480 within the last month
  3. Decimae

Decimae Newcomer, in training Posts: 79

These images are rather off; they start at 0.80 or something else. That's no problem for noise, sine that is logarithmic, but otherwise they give the wrong impression.
    Also, why compare to 5870cf? They should know that GTX480SLI/GTX460SLI/5970CF/6870CF performs better, so the graph gives no proof at all.
    The funny thing is that if this is going to continue, NVIDIA/AMD will have their roles switched. AMD will have a good medium level GPU(6870/6850) and NVIDIA will have a good high level GPU(GTX580).
  4. Demons

Demons Newcomer, in training Posts: 52

I'm glad that nVidia is finally taking the heat and noise into consideration. This looks to be a very nice card... I just picked up a 460 GTX.... maybe I will have to use my 90-day upgrade to get one of these cards for Christmas! :)
  5. ChrisG683

ChrisG683 Newcomer, in training Posts: 41

I want one now :(

Gotta find a way to sell my GTX 480...
  6. Breech

Breech TechSpot Member Posts: 79

Cooling solution looks to have come directly from ATI 58XX series, externally of course. I suppose when your previous high end cards were doubling as breakfast griddles it forces you to look elsewhere. I love to see the Nvidia/Ati competition but at this price point it's not going to matter much to me. The real action for many of us is in the midrange. Luckily it looks like the GTX460 vs the new 68XX seems to be going well and prices are reflecting that.
  7. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,470   +299

I was soo close to getting a GTX460 but I might just save a little more and get this, unless the TS review says otherwise :)

Can it play Crysis?

I hope TS add it to the review :)
  8. hassaan

hassaan Newcomer, in training Posts: 90

The MSRP is $499, but the average retail price, like it is for every new product, is hiked up. That's the price of early adoption.
  9. Superpeter

Superpeter TechSpot Member Posts: 49

That was quick!!! Nvidia obviously doesn't want to loose any more of the GPU market interest.
  10. dr spock

dr spock Newcomer, in training

11. Recipe7

Recipe7 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 142

Those graphs are made to look realllly good for Nvidia, haha.

12. TeamworkGuy2

TeamworkGuy2 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 195

Yes, definitely. Although "play" is a disputable term...
    It probably can't pull 60 fps in Crysis Warhead @ 2560 x 1600.
    I am quite excited to see the true benchmarks from TSF.
  13. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 431   +8

Can someone please explain the #'s on the left? What am I looking at here? I'm use to framerate.
  14. raventrickster

raventrickster Newcomer, in training Posts: 23

And another problem, the charts they're using are comparing to AMD's upper mid range, not their comparable top of the line card. I'd like to see this compared to a 5970 for a real comparison. And that said, even if it's beating that now, AMD is just around the corner with it's new high end release in the 69xx series cards. I'll wait to see real benchmarks from an independent source before I would consider this the new fastest card. Of course, practically speaking most of the money being spent will be in the mid range, which AMD has solidly locked up.
  15. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,264   +41

So glad I purchased my 480's from evga. UPGRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. TwiztidSef

TwiztidSef Newcomer, in training Posts: 49

@Jibberish18 Those numbers represent the percentage that the new cards can reach. Basically the GTX480s are all at 1.00(control). So the other bars show how much more powerful the new features make the new cards with various benchmarks and games. According to this, the max looks to be 30%. Looks like most graphs here use that format.

Sounds like Nvidia is making progress. I still prefer AMD/ATI but at this rate, I may switch back.
  17. ruzveh

ruzveh Banned Posts: 124

There is no word on power consumption? It defines the efficiency
  18. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

I'll wait for the reviews. Of course you're going to get the best propaganda from either manufacturer upon the release of a new card. Especially when they're claiming to be at the top of the heap again.

19. mikeusru

mikeusru Newcomer, in training Posts: 47

Lol, very sneaky Y axis usage from Nvidia there. At first glance I just figured the data was bogus, but upon further examination I realized that they are just sly like that.
    Sooo.... when are we expecting the GTX560 then?
  20. taea00

taea00 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 102

This thing looks insane. Once again I'll wait for the 3rd party reviewers to get their hands on this. Besides it's one thing to show a bunch of impressive numbers and a totally different thing to actually use one. I'd really like some outside impressions on this card before I get reallyc razy about it.
  21. edison5do

edison5do Newcomer, in training Posts: 239

Well now lets wait till TS post a review... now in these days one ofe the few places where you can trust a review is TS, i dont belive any other causethey differr in some way pulling for some company side...

I know the reviw is on the way.. is´nt?
  22. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 941   +42

Am I the only one getting tired of the whole "but can it play Crysis?" spiel? =/
  23. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,034   +70

Good for nVidia that at last they've been able to produce what they initially set out to, now that out of the way, I think people who want the best and fastest in their rigs, probably be better served once comparative reviews of newer offerings from both players come out.
  24. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,783   +639

there's always one (or three)

Wow! How disgusting…...
    …I'm sure that AMD...
    ...would never do something so sly

Now we’ve finished serving the chow at the childrens table…

Bit-tech say 55°C under gaming load

[H]OCP - I don't think you can put Kyle Bennett into the "propaganda" subset
    Tom's Hardware - used to be quite pro-nvidia, these days treads a more balanced line.
    Hardware.fr (Googlish)- one of the most impartial and thorough review sites on the net.
    also...
    Hilbert's (Guru3D) GTX 580 and SLI reviews for maximum enthusiasm for any hardware release.
    Ryan Shrout's PC Perspective review - another reviewer of the respected variety....and of course Anand.
    There's also the bIt-tech review I linked to earlier in the post, as well as the TPU review (and SLI ) that I linked to in a previous thread.

I don't think you can say you're starved of information.
    See you back here for comments and cake afterwards...
  25. samironsy

samironsy Newcomer, in training

v.nice but price steel little problem but what tha card is insane

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.