Nvidia preps 40nm desktop GPUs for September launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Nvidia’s first desktop graphics processors based on a new 40 nanometer manufacturing process could be available “at the end of September,” according a DigiTimes report citing the Chinese-language Commercial Times. The Nvidia GeForce GT220 and GeForce G210 cards should kick things off featuring a GT216 and GT218 GPU respectively, and are expected to directly replace the GT130 and G100 cards to take advantage of the much smaller and energy-efficient process.

DigiTimes claims the graphics firm intended to launch these sooner, but TSMC had initially suffered from poor yields of the 40nm parts. The company has since recovered, however, allowing Nvidia to target holiday sales with their new GPU range. It’s not clear if the GeForce GT220 and G210 cards will be available at retail or just as OEM devices for computer builders.

DigiTimes itself says nothing about the new parts in terms of specifications, but a separate report from Electronista claims the GT220 in its current form has 48 visual processing cores, a 615MHz core, and 1GB of 1.3GHz DDR3 memory. The G210 is reportedly much more basic with 16 cores, a 589MHz core clock and 512MB of 1.4GHz DDR2 memory.

Permalink to story.

I'm more interested in seeing how nvidia's 40nm compares with ATi's 40nm really.

While its known nvidia will probably kick out the V12 equivalent to cars, i always feel delight in seeing what ATi can put out to compete albeit they sometimes fall short...

I like to see nvidia like the American Muscle, as ATi as the Japanese tuners x3 Both very awesome and sexy cars but totally different in many ways...

LOL...interesting analogy hamsteyr.

I'd just like to see nVidia start making sense with their model #'s. Every time they release a new card I have to read the specs twice to see if it's more/less powerful than the one they released a month ago that has a higher model#, or has more alpha-numeric characters added to it meaning who-knows-what.

Tom, you should check out the newest card from Nvidia....The GTXSR9800XLCRS285R300G92.......i heard it rocks!

Though it's confusing, I personally don't quite give a damn about their naming scheme, mostly because I know what I'm looking for.

I'm actually a lot more interested in seeing some new high-end 40nm desktop products from them. I heard they'll go with DX10.1 and GDDR5...

hamsteyr said:
I'm more interested in seeing how nvidia's 40nm compares with ATi's 40nm really.

While its known nvidia will probably kick out the V12 equivalent to cars, i always feel delight in seeing what ATi can put out to compete albeit they sometimes fall short...

I like to see nvidia like the American Muscle, as ATi as the Japanese tuners x3 Both very awesome and sexy cars but totally different in many ways...

hello ...

I really love your point of view & comparison ;) thumbs up!

cheers!

Well hopefully the prices for all the current video cards will drop like a rock with the introduction of dx11 capable graphics cards.

I hope they do some ''cheap'' HD monitor and card bundles like the 3D Bundle. I could do with a new Monitor and if I can get a new card as well. I would be very happy. I want to try a duel monitor set up. (I only buy NvIdia, can u tell?) (and I don't want to buy a 3D screen that only works with a few games and require u to wear stupid glasses.)

wow at me fans XD thanks. And i do agree that nVidia namings are irritating... i still get mixed up between which is more powerful the 9600 GT or 9800 GS -.- ahahaha

ATi however seem to be not far behind... the 4770 is actually not far off from the 4850 but more powerful than the 4830 lol

I think it will be interesting to see if ATi comes out with a higher end card with the 40nm around Christmas time to steal Nvidias thunder. The 4770 is a monster of a card and when overclocked it is right at or slightly above the 4850 so it would be cool to see the potential of a more powerful card with this new technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back