Nvidia reclaims performance crown with GeForce GTX 680

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

After months of rumors, Nvidia has finally unleashed its next-gen 28nm graphics tech, codenamed "Kepler." As usual, the series kicks off with a flagship single-GPU, the GeForce GTX 680, which is said to be the company's fastest and most power efficient offering to date, courtesy of the new GK104 graphics processor. On top of the raw speed and power improvements, Nvidia says Kepler cards introduce new tech to provide consistently smooth frame rates in games -- something we look forward to testing when we get a review sample.

The GK104 contains four GPCs with a total of eight SMXs, 1536 CUDA cores, eight geometry units, four raster units, 128 texture units, and 32 ROP units. The base clock is 1006MHz, but it can dynamically boost to 1058MHz and beyond for more performance (about 5% supposedly). The card also carries 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM running at 6008MHz with a 256-bit interface providing 6.0Gb/s of throughput. Dual six-pin power connectors feed the card's TDP of 195W -- notably lower than the GTX 580 (244W) and Radeon HD 7970 (250W).

Although Kepler is built on the foundation laid by Fermi, Nvidia had different developmental goals for each architecture. Fermi improved DirectX 11 geometry, tessellation and compute performance, while merely "managing" power consumption in the process. Kepler sort of reverses those priorities: it also strives to boost performance (and succeeds based on Nvidia's slides), but does so while emphasizing power efficiency. Nvidia's press kit includes a slide that demonstrates the generational performance per watt improvement:

We'll have to confirm all this for ourselves when we get our hands on a card, but the company also provided some reference performance comparisons between the Radeon HD 7970 when running various games at 2560x1600 and max quality settings. With those parameters, the GTX 680 outpaces the HD 7970 by an average of about 15%. It shows a dramatic lead in some titles, such as 36% in Skyrim (to be expected with Nvidia's driver optimizations), while the card slips behind its rival by 1% in Sid Meier's Civilization V.

Click for full size

As noted, Kepler comes with some new gamer-oriented feature called Adaptive VSync that should help stabilize frame rates. As you're likely aware, Vertical Sync is a game setting that displays new frames synchronously with your display's refresh rate (generally 60Hz -- or 60fps) to prevent artifacts such as screen tearing. The problem is, if your graphics card can't keep up at that pace and slips below the 60fps mark -- even just a little bit Nvidia says -- you're likely to experience stuttering as your card drops down to 30fps or worse.

Adaptive VSync solves the issue by dynamically enabling and disabling VSync as dictated by your frame rate. The feature will be available in Nvidia's R300 driver family and it won't be specifically limited to the GTX 680 or other GTX 600 series cards for that matter. The GTX 680 includes other enhancements such as a new display engine for multi-monitor setups, NVENC (a hardware-based H.264 video encoder), as well as FXAA and TXAA. We'll go over everything in more detail in our review (again, we're still waiting on a sample).

Permalink to story.

No physical specs? How long is it? Or what about the price? Granted, I could just Google all of thar, but it would be quite helpful if you guys could include that in the article. :)

No! Out of stock at Newegg already!!!!! I was ready to buy two of them today!

The thing that slightly irks me is that this really isn't a flagship card. It's a higher mid-range card that just happens to beat out AMD's flagship card. The real flagship is GK110 or GK112, but since GK104 kicks the HD 7970's butt, they call it a GTX 680, and slap a high-end pricetag on it. I was hoping for something around the $300 range. I guess I'll have to keep on waiting... :(

That card sounds sweet! Low power, slightly shorter at 10" vs. 11" for the typical card. Adaptive VSync sounds cool.

Looks like Nvidia invested some quality time in the finer details.

I'm still on a 22" monitor at home, so the higher resolution's aren't that challenging for the card I have now (580). Maybe a power supply, 680, and a monitor are in my future? Come on NewEgg, get some in stock will ya?!

now thats a card to upgrade my hd 5870 since i was not able to upgrade my card due to restriction of having only 2 6 pin power connector so it costs less, runs cooler, quieter, faster. and is more powerfriendly. Now being a AMD fanboy i am going for nvidia. and its a big think
can anyone tell me if a 500 watt psu is good for this card or not as anandtech load power consuption is only 362 watts and my pc only have phenom 2 x6 (AMD fanboy) at default clocks?????

Yeah - I'm in tears. I already told the wife last night that I was going to make this purchase today or tomorrow... whenever it actually comes out. I was hoping to get the eVGA model but I guess I'm late to the game. Hope the prices don't start climbing because of this.

I play at 2560 X 1600 but don't want a dual card setup, and don't want to cheap out by going with AMD's inferior software/drivers.
Do I finally have a reason to upgrade from my 570? I hope so :D

I'm contemplating a 5760x1080 setup and at that resolution the 7970 and 680 are pretty much equal as the lack of memory bandwith on the 680 starts to show.

Just hoping AMD lower their prices :)

For what it's worth - I kept refreshing the newegg page for 680s and I guess people were just holding them in their carts - once a couple were removed NE marked them as back in stock and I was able to pick up a pair. Unfortunately I couldn't get eVGA cards, but I got a couple of ASUS 680s. The eVGA would only come up with 1 available and the same with the Zotac. As soon as you change the number to 2 cards it would take it back out of your basket due to insufficient stock.

indiangamer said:
now thats a card to upgrade my hd 5870 since i was not able to upgrade my card due to restriction of having only 2 6 pin power connector so it costs less, runs cooler, quieter, faster. and is more powerfriendly. Now being a AMD fanboy i am going for nvidia. and its a big think
can anyone tell me if a 500 watt psu is good for this card or not as anandtech load power consuption is only 362 watts and my pc only have phenom 2 x6 (AMD fanboy) at default clocks?????

If you're CPU is not overclocked you'll be fine. I'm sure Anand used an overclocked i7. The only thing holding you back, is your CPU i'm afraid. Phenom II's are not the best gaming CPU's to be matched with high end graphics to get the most out of your hardware. An upgrade to an FX or Core i5 or i7, would give you the best performance... and maybe a jump to a 600w so you have that headroom in case you overclock in the future.

lawfer said:
No physical specs? How long is it? Or what about the price? Granted, I could just Google all of thar, but it would be quite helpful if you guys could include that in the article. :)

Overall the card measures 10” long with no overhang from the shroud, making it 0.5” shorter than the GTX 580.

I noticed someone on eBay that bought 10 of the eVGA model on Newegg and is selling them each for $799.99

At the local computer store nearby, I could get the same model for $499.99

but I got a couple of ASUS 680s.
Good score. Buying direct from EVGA seems to have netted people better luck than Newegg.

New WHQL driver for the GTX 680 ( Forceware 301.10) released earlier today.

Seems the early disappointment of the card only being able to hit ~1300MHz core might be a little premature. Like Tahiti, the GK104 seems to have some horsepower in reserve. I'm guessing the missing power phase on the reference GTX 680 board might reappear for vendor designs. It would seem a natural counter for AMD's likely 1GHz+ refresh of the 7970, which I have no doubt is coming.

I just picked up an EVGA 680 card from TigerDirect.com and didn't have to pay state taxes... Only paid $7.56 for shipping...

System configuration:

OS/Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
EVGA 1366 mobo
Intel 980 Extrem 6 core processor 3.33GHz
OZC Blade Series 2000 MHz
OZC Vertex3 MI SATA SSD 240GB
VeocilRaptor 600 GB
2 tera bite drives
EVGA 590 video Card
2 LG burners
Pioneer Blue Ray burner
BigFoot 2100 network card
Creative Extrem Gamer sound card
HAF 932 case
2 28 HANNS.G displays

Why is it that with every new GPU nomenclature there are no real advances in FPS in gameplay for the more demanding games? For the money of the high-end cards and all the increases in transistor count you would think we would see some larger advances year over year! End the slow march to progress and the milking of the dollars from folks who want to see real advances in technology!

Back