TechSpot

Nvidia reclaims performance crown with GeForce GTX 680

By Matthew
Mar 22, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. After months of rumors, Nvidia has finally unleashed its next-gen 28nm graphics tech, codenamed "Kepler." As usual, the series kicks off with a flagship single-GPU, the GeForce GTX 680, which…

Read the whole story

2. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

No physical specs? How long is it? Or what about the price? Granted, I could just Google all of thar, but it would be quite helpful if you guys could include that in the article. :)

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,196   +751

anandtech has a complete review, Lawfer.

4. MrTomTom

MrTomTom TS Rookie Posts: 22

Around 500? in France according to http://www.ldlc.com/n1750/
    A bit confusing tho. It might be the individual price for 5 cards group purchase.

5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,373   +289

No! Out of stock at Newegg already!!!!! I was ready to buy two of them today!

6. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

The thing that slightly irks me is that this really isn't a flagship card. It's a higher mid-range card that just happens to beat out AMD's flagship card. The real flagship is GK110 or GK112, but since GK104 kicks the HD 7970's butt, they call it a GTX 680, and slap a high-end pricetag on it. I was hoping for something around the $300 range. I guess I'll have to keep on waiting... :(

7. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 994   +89

That card sounds sweet! Low power, slightly shorter at 10" vs. 11" for the typical card. Adaptive VSync sounds cool.

Looks like Nvidia invested some quality time in the finer details.

I'm still on a 22" monitor at home, so the higher resolution's aren't that challenging for the card I have now (580). Maybe a power supply, 680, and a monitor are in my future? Come on NewEgg, get some in stock will ya?!

8. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,628   +113

Better, but think I'll still cling onto my 2 x 5850 setup for a while yet.

9. indiangamer

indiangamer TS Rookie Posts: 36

now thats a card to upgrade my hd 5870 since i was not able to upgrade my card due to restriction of having only 2 6 pin power connector so it costs less, runs cooler, quieter, faster. and is more powerfriendly. Now being a AMD fanboy i am going for nvidia. and its a big think
    can anyone tell me if a 500 watt psu is good for this card or not as anandtech load power consuption is only 362 watts and my pc only have phenom 2 x6 (AMD fanboy) at default clocks?????

10. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,196   +751

Wow... that was fast. a few hours ago only the EVGA model was sold out. Now they all are.

11. LNCPapa

Yeah - I'm in tears. I already told the wife last night that I was going to make this purchase today or tomorrow... whenever it actually comes out. I was hoping to get the eVGA model but I guess I'm late to the game. Hope the prices don't start climbing because of this.

12. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 931   +248

I play at 2560 X 1600 but don't want a dual card setup, and don't want to cheap out by going with AMD's inferior software/drivers.
    Do I finally have a reason to upgrade from my 570? I hope so :D

13. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

I'm contemplating a 5760x1080 setup and at that resolution the 7970 and 680 are pretty much equal as the lack of memory bandwith on the 680 starts to show.

Just hoping AMD lower their prices :)

14. LNCPapa

For what it's worth - I kept refreshing the newegg page for 680s and I guess people were just holding them in their carts - once a couple were removed NE marked them as back in stock and I was able to pick up a pair. Unfortunately I couldn't get eVGA cards, but I got a couple of ASUS 680s. The eVGA would only come up with 1 available and the same with the Zotac. As soon as you change the number to 2 cards it would take it back out of your basket due to insufficient stock.

15. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Maniac Posts: 1,010   +104

Goodbye unlocked 6950 2GB, Hello GTX 680!

16. Chazz

Chazz TS Maniac Posts: 640   +60

I think this will be my new GPU.

17. hahahanoobs

If you're CPU is not overclocked you'll be fine. I'm sure Anand used an overclocked i7. The only thing holding you back, is your CPU i'm afraid. Phenom II's are not the best gaming CPU's to be matched with high end graphics to get the most out of your hardware. An upgrade to an FX or Core i5 or i7, would give you the best performance... and maybe a jump to a 600w so you have that headroom in case you overclock in the future.

18. hahahanoobs

Overall the card measures 10” long with no overhang from the shroud, making it 0.5” shorter than the GTX 580.

19. Give us links to where you get the info. Cite sources.

20. I noticed someone on eBay that bought 10 of the eVGA model on Newegg and is selling them each for $799.99

At the local computer store nearby, I could get the same model for $499.99

21. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,970   +739

Good score. Buying direct from EVGA seems to have netted people better luck than Newegg.

New WHQL driver for the GTX 680 ( Forceware 301.10) released earlier today.

Seems the early disappointment of the card only being able to hit ~1300MHz core might be a little premature. Like Tahiti, the GK104 seems to have some horsepower in reserve. I'm guessing the missing power phase on the reference GTX 680 board might reappear for vendor designs. It would seem a natural counter for AMD's likely 1GHz+ refresh of the 7970, which I have no doubt is coming.

22. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,094   +86 Staff Member

I mentioned this in the post, but it was written off Nvidia's press kit (on a passworded FTP).

23. jaydicee

jaydicee TS Rookie

and now I'm just patiently waiting for the geforce 500 series prices to go down so that I can get myself 2 560ti's :)

24. hack0152

hack0152 TS Rookie

I just picked up an EVGA 680 card from TigerDirect.com and didn't have to pay state taxes... Only paid $7.56 for shipping...

System configuration:

OS/Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    EVGA 1366 mobo
    Intel 980 Extrem 6 core processor 3.33GHz
    OZC Blade Series 2000 MHz
    OZC Vertex3 MI SATA SSD 240GB
    VeocilRaptor 600 GB
    2 tera bite drives
    EVGA 590 video Card
    2 LG burners
    Pioneer Blue Ray burner
    BigFoot 2100 network card
    Creative Extrem Gamer sound card
    HAF 932 case
    2 28 HANNS.G displays

25. Why is it that with every new GPU nomenclature there are no real advances in FPS in gameplay for the more demanding games? For the money of the high-end cards and all the increases in transistor count you would think we would see some larger advances year over year! End the slow march to progress and the milking of the dollars from folks who want to see real advances in technology!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.