Nvidia releases WHQL-certified ForceWare 196.21 drivers

By Matthew
Jan 19, 2010
  1. Nvidia has rolled out WHQL-certified Forceware drivers v196.21 for GeForce 6, 7, 8, 9, 100, 200 and Ion-series GPUs running on Windows XP, Vista or 7. The update brings multi-GPU support for many new (and some unreleased) games, including Avatar Demo, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, City Bus Simulator, Dirt 2, Ferrari Virtual Race, GREED: Black Border, Mass Effect 2, Mortal Online, Ninja Blade, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Demo, Planet 51, RUSE, Serious Sam HD, and Wings of Prey.

Read the whole story
  2. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 954   +193

Can someone explain what WHQL-certified means?
  3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Windows Hardware Quality Labs.
    It means that the driver has passed MS Windows testing and deemed compatible with the operating systems the driver is designed for (XP, Vista , 7). It's Microsoft's seal of approval.

Downloaded...driver swept...installed
  4. ken777

ken777 TS Rookie Posts: 103

If you use the Nvidia system tools to over/underclock, you might have problems with this release. Installed it last night and the only choice I have for custom clock speeds now is 0 MHz. Looked around and a bunch of other people are having this problem too.
  5. So it's another buggy release from nVidia then?
  6. Buggy!!!!! The control panel just keeps crashing since installation. I never had to do a clean removal of the previous versions before installing a new one... Maybe I will do that with this version and see if the problem continues or not.
  7. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Installing a driver over the top of an existing one isn't probably the best way of installing. Take an extra three minutes is uninstall the old one first.
    No problems with W 7 Ultimate x64. But then, I use EVGA Precision GPU adjusting and monitoring.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.