Nvidia releases WHQL-certified ForceWare 196.21 drivers

By Matthew
Jan 19, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nvidia has rolled out WHQL-certified Forceware drivers v196.21 for GeForce 6, 7, 8, 9, 100, 200 and Ion-series GPUs running on Windows XP, Vista or 7. The update brings multi-GPU support for many new (and some unreleased) games, including Avatar Demo, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, City Bus Simulator, Dirt 2, Ferrari Virtual Race, GREED: Black Border, Mass Effect 2, Mortal Online, Ninja Blade, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Demo, Planet 51, RUSE, Serious Sam HD, and Wings of Prey.

Read the whole story
  2. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 869   +129

Can someone explain what WHQL-certified means?
  3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,808   +642

Windows Hardware Quality Labs.
    It means that the driver has passed MS Windows testing and deemed compatible with the operating systems the driver is designed for (XP, Vista , 7). It's Microsoft's seal of approval.

Downloaded...driver swept...installed
  4. ken777

ken777 Newcomer, in training Posts: 103

If you use the Nvidia system tools to over/underclock, you might have problems with this release. Installed it last night and the only choice I have for custom clock speeds now is 0 MHz. Looked around and a bunch of other people are having this problem too.
  5. So it's another buggy release from nVidia then?
  6. Buggy!!!!! The control panel just keeps crashing since installation. I never had to do a clean removal of the previous versions before installing a new one... Maybe I will do that with this version and see if the problem continues or not.
  7. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,808   +642

Installing a driver over the top of an existing one isn't probably the best way of installing. Take an extra three minutes is uninstall the old one first.
    No problems with W 7 Ultimate x64. But then, I use EVGA Precision GPU adjusting and monitoring.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.