Nvidia reveals fifth core in upcoming "Kal-El" Tegra SoC

By Jos
Sep 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. We've been hearing about Kal-El and its capabilities for quite a while. Nvidia originally expected the first tablets carrying the quad-core chip to arrive in August but now that dateā€¦

Read the whole story
  2. venomblade

venomblade Newcomer, in training Posts: 69

Kal-el? Superman? haha nice
  3. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 237   +11

Nice approach to saving power, would have never thought of having an alternate low power core for energy efficient apps... I'm an AMD guy, but kal-el looks awesome!
  4. soliozuz

soliozuz Newcomer, in training

AMD is getting hammered everywhere but at least they are far more competitive on this front, I don't know what they are going to do about their processors. As good of a run as nVIDIA is giving them, I don't think I've seen two companies so fiercely trying to out-compete each other.
  5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

A companion core? Does it have a little heart on it?
  6. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

What's the point in a fifth core unless they can't underclock one of the main four cores, yet the article states they're all Cortex A9's.. So this doesn't make much sense to me.
  7. ..." Nvidia calls this approach "variable symmetric multiprocessing" "...

Come on! Give me a break!, That's too ambiguous!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.