Nvidia RTX 4060's price drops in Europe following poor reception - US market may follow

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? There's no better indicator of a product not selling well than it being discounted within a week of release. Sadly for Nvidia, that's exactly what's happened with the RTX 4060, which has seen a 6% price reduction in some European countries.

The RTX 4060 arrived last week to very middling reviews and apathy from consumers, especially as it doesn't compare favorably to the previous-gen RTX 3060.

VideoCardz discovered that the Lovelace product is already being discounted in Europe. German retailer Mindfactory dropped 20 euros off the price, bringing it to €310.39. It's also claimed that the popular company sold just ten RTX 4060 units on its launch day.

Over in France, retailer Hardware.fr has reduced the MSI Ventus 2X RTX 4060, which launched at its €329 MSRP a week ago, to €309 through the use of coupons.

The reductions mean that the RTX 4060 has been discounted by 6% in a matter of days after launch, something previously unheard of when talking about new Nvidia graphics cards. There's no sign of similar price drops coming to the US where the $299 MSRP remains unchallenged, but don't be surprised if that changes in the near future.

It's not just Europe where the RTX 4060 is proving to be a hard sell. In Japan, where the launch-day sales embargo usually lifts at 10 pm, the once familiar sight of people lining up to secure a new card was replaced with the sad image of a single person waiting at one of the country's big PC stores: a man upgrading his GTX 1060.

Somewhat tellingly, the RTX 3060, which actually outperforms the RTX 4060 in some games, has been flying up the Steam survey GPU chart recently, becoming the second-most-popular graphics card among participants last month.

We noted in our review of the RTX 4060 that while it isn't as bad as the Ti version, it's certainly not worth buying at $300. But if the lack of US sales forces significant price reductions in the States, it could become a more appealing option.

Permalink to story.

Good article title and subtitle.
"Would you buy one if it were cheaper?"
This is a direct response from Yoda's teachings:
"Buy I will not, pay me Nvidia you must, to play games with 4060, for 1-2 years.
After that only, you can be worthy to become a potential customer."
:cool:

Last edited:
"Would you buy one if it were cheaper?".

No I would not.

The 3060 is a better buy compared to the 4060 anyway you look at it.

I would not even buy it if they sold it for $200. I am sure there's better GPUs to buy even in that price range.

The 4060 is total garbage.

The only way I would buy one is if they released a low profile version as the GPU it was supposed to be - the RTX 4050. For $150.

At that level it would be a major upgrade from 4GB 1650s, RX 560s, and a far sight better then the A380 or RX 6400s.

As it is? Hell nah. I would never pay $200 for a 8GB GPU in a mainstream PC build, and absolutely wouldnt pay remotely close to $300.

Will we ever get back to the price-performance-class ranges we last had with Polaris and Pascal? where this card would have cost 180-200?

Everyone slating this card is overlooking the fact it can do dlss 3 AND frame generation. Easily worth $299

/s

A major problem with the 4060 series is that it's margins are low, the actual cost to manufacture the card is relatively high. A major difference between AMD and nVidias design philosophy is that AMD has been finding ways to increase margins by reducing manufacturing costs where as nVidia has been trying to increase the value of their cards with software like DLSS. The 7600 still has a fair bit of wiggle room for price drops because of how AMD designs and manufactures it. The 4060 is already a low margin product and from the people I've talked to, it's break-even point for board partners is around the $250 mark where as the 7600 could remain profitable at around the $200 market.

I think we would be in an entirely different environment if nVidia put 16 gigs on the 4060 and charged $350 for it, skipped the 8gb TI model altogether and charged $400(realistic $420-450 for the board partners) for 16GB Ti model.

"Would you buy an RTX 4060 if the price was reduced?"

I already have the RTX 3060, and from what I've seen, the 4060 doesn't offer any significant performance increase to warrant an upgrade at any price point.

Make 4070, 500$ and then we're talking, Nvidia. Nobody cares about sh1tcards, Dlss or not.

"Would you buy one if it were cheaper?".

No I would not.

The 3060 is a better buy compared to the 4060 anyway you look at it.

I would not even buy it if they sold it for $200. I am sure there's better GPUs to buy even in that price range.

The 4060 is total garbage.
totally agree with you.

A major problem with the 4060 series is that it's margins are low, the actual cost to manufacture the card is relatively high. A major difference between AMD and nVidias design philosophy is that AMD has been finding ways to increase margins by reducing manufacturing costs where as nVidia has been trying to increase the value of their cards with software like DLSS. The 7600 still has a fair bit of wiggle room for price drops because of how AMD designs and manufactures it. The 4060 is already a low margin product and from the people I've talked to, it's break-even point for board partners is around the $250 mark where as the 7600 could remain profitable at around the $200 market.

I think we would be in an entirely different environment if nVidia put 16 gigs on the 4060 and charged $350 for it, skipped the 8gb TI model altogether and charged $400(realistic $420-450 for the board partners) for 16GB Ti model.

Thank you Jensen Huang for your detailed explanation. You forgot to add how painful it is to hear that your company is struggling to sell this hot garbage. Godspeed! Someday you will sell every last piece made!

Low margin for partners, maybe. Certainly not for Nvidia,t that die is tiny.

For any savvy consumers of PC hardware, the 4060 is a hard pass in 2023, especially at over $200 for what you're getting.

Low margin for partners, maybe. Certainly not for Nvidia,t that die is tiny.
I know a couple of people in the industry and that tiny die costs a lot. It's about 2/3rds the size of the die on the 7600 but due to how nVidia has decide to manufacture their dies, it costs about twice as much to make. A rumor that I've heard, although it's one of my more reliable sources and I'm inclined to believe it, is that the naming scheme wasn't simply a way to boost the price. The reason the 4060 is a 60 series card instead of a 50 class card is that nVidia cannot afford to produce them at prices people shopping for a 50 class card would be willing to pay. If you look at things like die size, bus width and power consumption numbers, everything about the 4060 looks like a 4050. The price floor for the 4060 is around the $250 mark.

One reason nVidia is being so quiet about these cards and the discontent among gamers is that they can't really do anything about it. They backed themselves into a corner. They unlaunched the "4080 12GB", who knows what "unlaunching" the 4060 and 4060ti would do?

Looking at the state of the market, the 4090's have stopped selling and the most popular card nVidia is selling right now is the 4070ti. Frankly, I have no idea why because for that kind of money I would hands down go with a 7900xtx. They're fairly easy to find at the $900 price point and they're often bundled with games. If it's a game you were looking to buy anyway you could "save" another $60 by buying the card bundled with it bringing the cost down to under $900.

At this point, I'm just done with nVidia products. I'm been moving more and more of what I do to Linux because I'm tired of the dumpster fire of a product that Microsoft is calling "windows". If I'm going to go full Linux then I have to stay away from nVidia simply because of drivers. I bought a 6700xt and have, for a long time, planned to move away from nVidia simply because of all the work I do with Linux. What they're doing now with the 40 series just makes that decision that much easier. Whenever this summers work season is over I plan on building my "money is no object build" that I've been planning for years. I'm disappointed about AMD's issues with ram speeds when all 4 memory slots are occupied so I might wait for the 8950X and their new series of motherboards and see if that fixes it. My 1800X is really starting to show it's age so I'm in dire need of an upgrade. I guess 96GB(2x48GB) of DDR5 will be acceptable because I really don't want to spend threadripper money. As things stand now it's basically going to be a 7950X(non-3d) and an x7900xtx. Considering how much of a trooper this 1800X has been I'm confident I'll get 6-7 years out of whatever my next build is.

RTX 3060 12 GB makes sense, it's a decent option right now. I'm glad so many PC gamers has those 12 GBs of VRAM now, but if RX 6700 XT is close in price or the xx50 variant, I'd get either of those. Even if the price was the same between RTX 3060 and 4060, it wouldn't be an obvious choice between the two due to the difference in VRAM, but alas, RTX 3060 is not going to be around forever, so before refreshed models arrive, I guess RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB has to replace the 300+ € price point because not everyone is going to settle for the RTX 4060 8 GB nor the RTX 4060 Ti 8 GB. AMD's answer in the price range of 300 to 500 € is going to be very interesting because currently Nvidia is easy to beat there.

EDIT. @yRaz In Finland RTX 4070 Ti and RX 7900 XT are evenly priced, around 900 €, but the XTX is starting from 1120 €. I guess some people would choose the RTX 4070 Ti in this case, but I wouldn't even consider it with the 12 GB VRAM (versus 20 GB) and the Radeon is even faster. Crazy if the GeForce brand convinces people that strongly, though are the high-end shoppers that kind of people in general, I mean brand oriented? Hard to say, just pondering here.

EDIT2. It would be wise to differentiate the 12 GB and 8 GB variants of the RTX 3060 in your articles, because the 'June Steam Survey' article neither does this, which makes the situation a bit unclear - do people really have that many 12 GB cards? I know that the Steam survey does not separate the two variants at all, so we are left guessing how many of those cards are of the significantly weaker variant, which I hope not many, because RTX 3060 12 GB would be a good "baseline" in the PC gaming scene.

Last edited:

Low margin product for board partners =/= low margin product for Nvidia. You can bet your bottom dollar that Nvidia is still making their 70-80% margin on every piece of silicon sold, AIBs are only ever given scraps.

Low margin product for board partners =/= low margin product for Nvidia. You can bet your bottom dollar that Nvidia is still making their 70-80% margin on every piece of silicon sold, AIBs are only ever given scraps.
the 4060 die is already a low margin product for nVidia, that's what I saying. They don't have much room to issue price cuts even if they wanted to. People need to stop looking at board partners as manufacturers and start looking at them as franchise owners. "partners" pay a fee to the "franchise" owner because the franchise owner is responsible for designing products and marketing. nVidia isn't doing ANYTHING as far as marketing is concerned. They have a PR disaster and are doing nothing about it. If the McDonalds corporation makes a bad product then it's on them to fix it for the people buying into the franchise. Frankly, nVidia should "unlaunch" the 4060 like they did with the 4080 12GB. nVidia paid all the board partners to pull the products and repackage them.

And all of this could be avoided if they just put a proper amount of memory on the dang card. If the 4060 had 16GB then DLSS would actually function. The thing is, DLSS takes around 3GB of VRAM to run so simply running DLSS makes the card run out of VRAM. They didn't want to put 16gigs on the 60 series cards because then it would make the 4070ti look bad(I don't know how anyone actually thinks it looks good, but it's their top selling card right now).

The thing is, THERE IS margin on the 4060ti to lower costs. or, instead of lowering the price they could maybe actually give the card 16GB of VRAM, which would cost around $30 and people wouldn't be asking for $100 price drops. But again, they didn't want a 16 gig card sitting next to a 12GB 4070ti.

but this is a TOP DOWN PROBLEM. Putting less vram on their top teir cards is a sort of planned obsolescence. 16gigs on a 4080 is absolutely offensive esspecially for the prices they're selling at. Both the 30 and 40 series are going to age VERY poorly because of their limited amount of VRAM. Yes, I'm saying 12 and 16gigs is limited.

These top tier cards are going to start hitting their VRAM limits in just a few years. Yeah, you can turn down the settings but that's not what people are paying $1000+ for. A 7900xtx will see it's GPU become the limiting factor long before it hits its VRAM limits. That 12gig 4070ti is going to start slowing down LONG BEFORE the 20GB 7900XT. Both DLSS and FSR take up about 3-4 gigs of VRAM and this scales with resolution so the higher the resolution, the more VRAM it takes. DLSS on the 4070ti is going to become unusable before FSR is on the 20GB 7900XT.

While the 40 series seems to be out selling both AMD's 6000 and 7000 series combined right now, I think we're going to see a lot of very unhappy customers in just a few short years.

Back