Nvidia RTX 4070 predicted to have $749 MSRP, AIB models closer to $799

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: Nvidia is rumored to be sticking with the "it costs how much?!?" philosophy utilized for the Ada Lovelace series with its next release, the RTX 4070. The card, which looks set to arrive next month, is said to be priced at $749 for the reference models. If you want a premium AIB model, expect to pay about $799, or the MSRP of the RTX 4070 Ti.

All signs point to the RTX 4070 launching next month. If a recent leak is believed, the exact date will be April 13. VideoCardz recently revealed that Nvidia had given two review embargos: April 12 will be for the RTX 4070 cards at their MSRP, while those that cost more can be reviewed on April 13, the same day the card launches.

What that MSRP is going to be has been up for debate. Those hoping it will be somewhere near the RTX 3070's $499 launch price are likely to be disappointed, with many suggesting $699 as a more likely figure. However, according to Moore's Law is Dead, Nvidia will set the MSRP at $749. That's just $50 less than the RTX 4070 Ti's MSRP.

Courtesy VideoCardz

As is the case with the Ti version, all but the most basic RTX 4070 AIB models will cost $749, or about 50% more expensive than the RTX 3070. The factory overclocked/premium RTX 4070 models will likely be closer to or more than $799 - the MSRP of the RTX 4070 Ti.

Like the Ti version, the RTX 4070 is set to come with 12GB of GDDR6X memory across a 192-bit interface for 504.2 GB/s of bandwidth. The upcoming card is based on the AD104 GPU (AD104-250-A1 variant), has 5,888 CUDA cores (1,792 fewer than the Ti), and is predicted to be the first Lovelace card with a TDP of 200W. It also has a 1,920 MHz base clock and a 2,475 MHz boost.

It'll be interesting to see just how popular the RTX 4070 proves, especially if it does come with a $749 MSRP. Its predecessor, the RTX 3070, has been flying up the Steam charts lately to become the eighth most-popular card among participants.

Permalink to story.

AMD missed many chances recently to grab onto some market share. This is another chance. At this point, RX 7700 doesn't even have to be faster, just needs a reasonable price and anyone who is searching for something new will have a tough time avoiding that card.

Should be mentioned this is by spec basically a "4060" that SHOULD retail for $250. 4070 Ti is 30% faster and this would put the 4070 below a 3080 in performance. Imagine paying MORE than MSRP for a 3080 that released 2 years ago!

This is TRIPLE the price it should be per past generation precedent if we realize it's a 4060 (should be $250). We need a crash soon.

I feel like $600 they could get away with but $750 will mean very few sales. Clearly there's still too much stock of the 30 series cards and all Nvidia is bothered about is clearing their existing stock at MRSP instead of a discount like AMD is doing with the RX 6000 line up.

Nvidia might be trying some reverse psychology here leaking prices that are higher than the actual so that the actual price will be easier to swallow and garnish better reviews. Don't fall for it. Anything over $500 for this card is too much. The 12GB of VRAM are 2GB modules so there are only 6 total chips and a 192-bit bus. You might be getting more total VRAM, but it's not costing Nvidia that much more than 1GB chips would on an 8GB card. The chip is a cut-down AD104! This is XX60-level chip and while it might be close in performance to the previous 3080, it also uses less power which means the PCB should be cheaper to build and cooler requirements should be much smaller. This card probably costs less to build than the RTX 3070 (adjusted for inflation). If they really did make this $749, then I guess its Intel or AMD from now on, there will be no redemption for Nvidia.

I can't help but laugh at PC gamers now.

Listen if you're going to spend such stupid amounts of money, go the full money. Get the 4090. It just makes no sense to get anything else at these prices. There is no value going down the stack, and the prices are already in the insane range, so why get the gimped stuff you can't even brag about having?

"AMD screwed up on their prices with this generation."- Everybody

"Hold my beer"- Nvidia.

I feel it was the other way around tbh.

I do see why they want to get away from the ‚budget‘ GPU corner but you can‘t force ‚premium‘ by price matching the market leader.

I'd like to upgrade, but I'm not going to pay that. I'll just keep what I have for another generation. It doesn't make sense anymore to upgrade every generation with the prices they are asking. That is way beyond "inflation" in my opinion. Pandemic prices need to end. I won't accept that this is the new norm.

I can see the reviews: 4070 priced at $749 and shows performance on par with the 3080.

Nvidia: But, but....DLSS 3! Moar frames! MOAR!

Nvidia fan boys:
shut-up-and-take-my-money-futurama.gif

Should be mentioned this is by spec basically a "4060" that SHOULD retail for $250. 4070 Ti is 30% faster and this would put the 4070 below a 3080 in performance. Imagine paying MORE than MSRP for a 3080 that released 2 years ago!

This is TRIPLE the price it should be per past generation precedent if we realize it's a 4060 (should be $250). We need a crash soon.
How on god's green earth do you figure this should be $250? The VRAM alone is nearly $200.
That would make no sense, has to be 499-599 dollars or it will fail

AMD, are you awake? Where is Radeon 7800 series...
AMD missed many chances recently to grab onto some market share. This is another chance. At this point, RX 7700 doesn't even have to be faster, just needs a reasonable price and anyone who is searching for something new will have a tough time avoiding that card.
AMD has no interest in market share. They have said repeatedly that they are a "premium" brand that will charge "premium" prices. They're not going to launch a rDNA 3 mid range card until they can figure out how to make it $800.

The fact that people still buy 3060's at stupid prices when there are better performing cards for less and still seem happy about it just reinforces to Nvidia that if all their cards are poor value, most people will still choose to pick one of their options. They know they can get away with it.

The fact that people still buy 3060's at stupid prices when there are better performing cards for less and still seem happy about it just reinforces to Nvidia that if all their cards are poor value, most people will still choose to pick one of their options. They know they can get away with it.

Not only do PC gamers think they're part of these companies, they also think PC is a cult. I guess it will always be like this, once you can tap into that there is no need to bother about pricing or competition. No wonder marketing makes so much money and these companies will spend some 3x more for marketing than whatever they put into the actual product.

I see people argue console is more expensive because of an online subscription you don't need to get or a sale on a PC game when console games have had deeper sales for far longer, even if they were right the $1500 or so more you'd spend on just the hardware represents multiple more times than whatever games you'd even get total. PC gamers can't even basic math, but that's what a cult does to people.

Not only do PC gamers think they're part of these companies, they also think PC is a cult. I guess it will always be like this, once you can tap into that there is no need to bother about pricing or competition. No wonder marketing makes so much money and these companies will spend some 3x more for marketing than whatever they put into the actual product.

I see people argue console is more expensive because of an online subscription you don't need to get or a sale on a PC game when console games have had deeper sales for far longer, even if they were right the $1500 or so more you'd spend on just the hardware represents multiple more times than whatever games you'd even get total. PC gamers can't even basic math, but that's what a cult does to people.
I can do the math... a game on console is 70-80€ , the same game on pc is 0€ (yaaaaar), you pay the hardware more, but anything else is Free if you want ... so in the end, Pc gaming cost less...

I feel it was the other way around tbh.

I do see why they want to get away from the ‚budget‘ GPU corner but you can‘t force ‚premium‘ by price matching the market leader.
As much as I detest Nvidia's pricing, it really was a debacle by AMD. They are the underdog, their GPU lacks comparable RT which as much as people deny has become an important factor and still they went ahead to cash in on sales instead of grabbing market share. Probably because of steep slide in share prices the top management took this short sighted step to shore up profits rather than market share. Truly a debacle.

I can do the math... a game on console is 70-80€ , the same game on pc is 0€ (yaaaaar), you pay the hardware more, but anything else is Free if you want ... so in the end, Pc gaming cost less...
A game on console is 120e for the premium edition, console is 600e, a good TV for it is let's say 1000e. Subscriptions are 20e a month.

PC game is usually 0e, let's say you stole your PC, that's 0e again and you're hooked up to your neighbours power line so he pays all the electric bills, 0 again.

PC gaming is cheap.

As much as I detest Nvidia's pricing, it really was a debacle by AMD. They are the underdog, their GPU lacks comparable RT which as much as people deny has become an important factor and still they went ahead to cash in on sales instead of grabbing market share. Probably because of steep slide in share prices the top management took this short sighted step to shore up profits rather than market share. Truly a debacle.
I‘m not disagreeing here, it‘s just my view that nVidia started with their premium pricing and AMD decided to follow rather than use the opportunity to get some goodwill with better prices while still making a decent profit.

Not a debacle but still a poor decision. AMD is not viewed by the market as being ‚premium‘ in GPU yet, although I would argue there is a noticeable gap between consumers‘ perception and reality. But it is like it is.

How on god's green earth do you figure this should be $250? The VRAM alone is nearly $200.

AMD has no interest in market share. They have said repeatedly that they are a "premium" brand that will charge "premium" prices. They're not going to launch a rDNA 3 mid range card until they can figure out how to make it $800.
AMD has no interrest in selling GPUs? Im not sure AMD is a premium brand, their best selling GPUs are always the cheap ones, like RX480/470/580/570 and 5700XT etc.

High-end AMD GPUs are being outsold like crazy by Nvidia's High-end stuff.

Just give me a 7900XTX for under €1000 in Europe and I'll buy one. If not, then I'll skip this generation of cards aswell.
I'm not interested in the firestarter series from Nvidia. If they hadn't gone with that stupid power plug on the 4080's I might have taken one of them at under €1000 too.

Back