Nvidia RTX 5000 Blackwell flagship could be 60% or 70% faster than RTX 4090

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Sims

Staff
Rumor mill: Rumors and leaks over the months have provided a fairly clear picture of Nvidia's upcoming next-generation consumer graphics cards, but that picture has shifted back and forth slightly. The changes likely indicate that the company's plans are in flux, and its final performance gain over the RTX 4090 may still be undecided.

New information regarding the flagship of Nvidia's upcoming Blackwell GPUs, presumably called the RTX 5090, suggests it could see a 60% or 70% performance uplift over the current leader – the RTX 4090. Furthermore, unsurprisingly, none of the RTX 5000 series cards are likely to use their full die.

The performance estimate, which sources relayed to Moore's Law is Dead, aligns with prior rumors indicating a 1.7x performance increase. The gain would resemble the leap from the RTX 3090 to the 4090.

Ultimately, things will depend on how much Nvidia decides to cut the GB202 die for the 5090. Due to the rising prominence of the AI hardware market, which recently sent Nvidia's financials into the stratosphere, the RTX 5000 gaming GPUs will almost certainly see die cuts, but their performance gains over their predecessors will likely vary.

Information surrounding AMD's next-gen graphics card plans indicates the 5090 will face no direct competition in its weight class. Team Red tacitly admitted that its flagship Radeon RX 7900 XTX is closer to the RTX 4080 than the 4090, but the gap between the next AMD lineup and RTX 5000 might be wider, as rumors suggest the former won't include any enthusiast-class products. The situation would give Nvidia free rein when pricing the 5090, which MLID speculates could reach $2,000 (compared to the 4090's $1,600 MSRP).

Blackwell's rumored launch date has previously wobbled between late 2024 and early 2025, but MLID currently maintains a Q4 2024 window. However, it isn't clear which products beyond the 5090 will ship in that timeframe. The majority of the RTX 5000 cards will likely launch throughout 2025.

According to earlier information, the lineup's flagship could feature 50% more cores than the 4090, 52% more memory bandwidth, a 78% L2 cache uplift, and a 15% bump in frequency. Furthermore, it might utilize GDDR7 memory on a 384-bit bus, support DisplayPort 2.1 and PCIe 5.0, and use TSMC's 3nm node process.

Permalink to story.

Another day another round of next gen overpriced GPUs... Thank you AI bubble.

What amuses me is that they just seat on their meeting tables and thinks
"Hmmm.... how about 30% performance uplif for 5080 but 40% price hike?"
"No down it to 20%, keep the last 10% for the latter Super model... The perf uplift of course."

Another day another round of next gen overpriced GPUs... Thank you AI bubble.
How dare they use these chips to help cure cancer, fight terror, and alleviate world hunger, when you still can't play Call of Duty in 4K ultra!

What amuses me is that they just seat [sic] on their meeting tables and thinks [sic]
"Hmmm.... how about 30% performance uplif for 5080 but 40% price hike?"
While those who have never had a professional job may believe this is what happens, in reality the mathematics of price optimization are straightforward. Using elementary calculus and some sample data, any business major should be able to estimate a maximal price point for a product.

And -- while it may be surprising to those who get their electricity free from Mom's basement -- a chip that not only has a 30% performance uplift but also a substantial increase in energy efficiency, is likely to be worth more than the uplift alone would suggest.

The reason why the 4090 was about 60% faster than the 3090 was because of the node.

They migrated from Samsung 7nm to TSMC 4nm. It included a good boost in frequency by doing the move also.

The 5090 will probably be another 40% like Turing and Ampere was. They can't make bigger dies, they are already making the biggest dies they are able to.

How dare they use these chips to help cure cancer, fight terror, and alleviate world hunger, when you still can't play Call of Duty in 4K ultra!

And -- while it may be surprising to those who get their electricity free from Mom's basement -- a chip that not only has a 30% performance uplift but also a substantial increase in energy efficiency, is likely to be worth more than the uplift alone would suggest.
I didn't mean to downplay the real world benefits that come from AI but I still don't need to like the price hikes.

About the reason for the price it's not a 30%/50%/100% performance uplift that would justify an proportional price uplift. Nobody would buy a 5090 that's 200% the performance of a 4090 if it's also 200% the price... The gpu market commands the price, supply/demmand.

Last edited:

While those who have never had a professional job may believe this is what happens, in reality the mathematics of price optimization are straightforward. Using elementary calculus and some sample data, any business major should be able to estimate a maximal price point for a product.

Yes, how dare they create more hunger, unemployment, weapons, illegal content, manipulation, fakes and concentration of wealth.

There is nothing useful in your post other than dirty propaganda and disgusting idolatry for Nvidia. I hope you are being paid for this.

Yes, how dare they create more hunger, unemployment, weapons, illegal content, manipulation, fakes and concentration of wealth.

There is nothing useful in your post other than dirty propaganda and disgusting idolatry for Nvidia. I hope you are being paid for this.
You forgot that endy's post contains a large dose of the snark that he always rails against - unless its endy's snark.

We hear these rumors and leaks every time there is a new GPU in the oven. When those GPUs are fully baked and removed from the oven, the rumors and leaks have never panned out. I doubt that there is any reason to think the situation will be different this time.

It would not surprise me in the least if it were found out that the rumors and leaks, even if false, were started by Nvidia itself.

IMO, there's nothing to see here. Everyone should just ignore this article and wait until the card is reviewed by reputable sites.

I didn't mean to downplay the real world benefits that come from AI but I still don't need to like the price hikes.

About the reason for the price it's not a 30%/50%/100% performance uplift that would justify an proportional price uplift. Nobody would buy a 5090 that's 200% the performance of a 4090 if it's also 200% the price... The gpu market commands the price, supply/demmand.
You should ignore endy's snark, IMO. Its only meant to put you on the defensive and give him an upper hand in the debate endy thinks endy is in.

No one likes price hikes, however, I view these price hikes as part of the fallout from the AI fad. After all, aside from the good that AI does, the rest of the uses for AI at this point, IMO, are just novelty and FAD, and people using it to pretend that they are intelligent when all they are doing is consuming regurgitated BS that AI scraped from the trash heap of the internet.

Of course the profit hounds are going to try to profit from the FAD and therein lies the problem, IMO.

AI - Absent Intelligence.

Didn't they say the same thing about Ada when compared to Ampere?

....that was until they started releasing their PR slides and showing how Ada cards were using DLSS3.0 compared to not using DLSS (of any version) for Ampere.

Yeah, I don't buy it Nvidia. I'm "sure" that Blackwell will be 70% faster over Ada once you turn on DLSS4.0 - which won't be useable by older gens - and don't use any of your DLSS with Ada during your comparisons.

Didn't they say the same thing about Ada when compared to Ampere?

....that was until they started releasing their PR slides and showing how Ada cards were using DLSS3.0 compared to not using DLSS (of any version) for Ampere.

Yeah, I don't buy it Nvidia. I'm "sure" that Blackwell will be 70% faster over Ada once you turn on DLSS4.0 - which won't be useable by older gens - and don't use any of your DLSS with Ada during your comparisons.

3x FPS increase with Frame Gen 2.0 - The masses will lap it up.

Please tell me why people report on MLID. I mean a broken clock is right 2x a day and I am not even sure MLID has that much accuracy. This guy makes money by just making stuff up that sounds feasible and people eat it up. He is like the Tucker Carlson of the techspace and best ignored.

nVidia pricing has become outrageous so I'm glad that Intel has joined the fray. It's gotten so out of hand that I skipped several generations between GPU upgrades. I skipped the nVidia 2000 series cards and went from a GTX 1080 to an RTX3080. I have no desire to on to a 4000 or 5000 series GPU and I will most likely skip nVidia altogether from here on out and give Intel a try. The Intel B980 looks very promising and at the rumored price of $450 upon release it won't break the bank. Sure, it probably won't best nVidia's flagship cards but it'll be "good enough".

Please tell me why people report on MLID. I mean a broken clock is right 2x a day and I am not even sure MLID has that much accuracy. This guy makes money by just making stuff up that sounds feasible and people eat it up. He is like the Tucker Carlson of the techspace and best ignored.

-Because people like theory crafting tech. It has absolutely nothing to do with the veracity of the information and everything to do with a scaffolding for tech enthusiasts to discuss/argue/debate over.

Its like watching pro-sports: It really is a meaningless timewaster that adds nothing to the world, but without it 10's of millions of people wouldn't have a shared interest to talk with other people about. Listen to two guys talking about draft picks or season stats and such and its the exact same thing as people here talking about some hypothetical GPU performance.

-Because people like theory crafting tech. It has absolutely nothing to do with the veracity of the information and everything to do with a scaffolding for tech enthusiasts to discuss/argue/debate over.

Its like watching pro-sports: It really is a meaningless timewaster that adds nothing to the world, but without it 10's of millions of people wouldn't have a shared interest to talk with other people about. Listen to two guys talking about draft picks or season stats and such and its the exact same thing as people here talking about some hypothetical GPU performance.
except to use your analogy it is not theory crafting it is someone saying I spoke to this team and they said they are getting this guy next season. BTW I never spoke to this team and I am just pulling information out of my arse. That is not theorycrafting it is giving credence to a known BSer for money.

There are great leakers with unusually high accuracy. MLID is not one of those they might as well say Forum Poster M**** said it and it would have the same affect.

Look I like speculation I don't like news articles that qoute this charlaton. If it was
Kopite7kimi or momomo I would be interested but MLID yeah no thanks.

edit apparently my user name is censored LOL what does the last 4 of my name mean anyway?

except to use your analogy it is not theory crafting it is someone saying I spoke to this team and they said they are getting this guy next season. BTW I never spoke to this team and I am just pulling information out of my arse. That is not theorycrafting it is giving credence to a known BSer for money.

There are great leakers with unusually high accuracy. MLID is not one of those they might as well say Forum Poster M**** said it and it would have the same affect.

Look I like speculation I don't like news articles that qoute this charlaton. If it was
Kopite7kimi or momomo I would be interested but MLID yeah no thanks.

edit apparently my user name is censored LOL what does the last 4 of my name mean anyway?
Maybe it's too close to "j****"?

I wonder if you add an extra "g" to bugs. "B****"

I know people that have Ugg boots.....maybe Techspot doesn't like ****?

Thankfully my games are running just fine at the moment and most major developers are struggling to release anything of actual quality. Let's see how brave they get with their pricing.

Well then it will be at least a 2300euros/usd GPU, which will make the 5080 around 1500 maybe, good luck to those who want it xD
That would leave the 5070/ti around $1k and 5060/ti $600+. Nothing would test Nvidia's brand loyalty like Blackwell will imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back