Nvidia says RTX 2080 outperforms GTX 1080 Ti, new benchmarks leak (Updated)

midian182

Staff member
Highly anticipated: During the launch of its RTX 20-series GPUs, Nvidia focused more on the cards’ real-time ray tracing capabilities over their raw performance. But with the launch date now just one week away, the company has revealed how the Turning architecture compares to the previous generations. It also announced that the GeForce RTX 2080 would outperform the GTX 1080 Ti.

Following the RTX unveiling last month, Nvidia said that the RTX 2080 would be 50 percent faster than the GTX 1080, offering significant fps improvements in non-ray-traced titles. At GTC Japan earlier this week, the firm showed off a graph that, while vague, claims both the RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti leave their previous-gen counterparts behind when it comes to 4K gaming.

As you can see, there are no actual numbers on the graph, only a '60 fps' line, and we don’t know what game(s) this was using or, importantly, what the graphics settings were. But if the graph is to be taken at face value, It shows that the RTX 2080 sits on the 4K@60fps mark, comfortably ahead of the GTX 1080 Ti. It also appears that the gap between the two new GPUs is larger than those of previous generations, though an earlier version of the graph showed this gap to be smaller than those of Pascal and Maxwell — make of that what you will.

In addition to the graph, Nvidia also announced nine new games that will support its DLSS (Deep Learning Super-Sampling) technology. The process uses AI and deep learning to smooth the edges of rendered objects in titles. You can see all the other games that support real-time ray tracing and DLSS here.

The new titles are:

• Darksiders III
  • Deliver Us The Moon: Fortuna
  • Fear the Wolves
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
  • KINETIK
  • Outpost Zero
  • Overkill’s The Walking Dead
  • SCUM
  • Stormdivers

In other RTX 2080 news, the first benchmarks of the card have reportedly been leaked on the Futuremark 3Dmark database. Running on a PC with a Core i7-8700K, 16 GB of DDR4 memory, and the latest 411.51 GeForce drivers, the GPU scored 10,147 points and 10,659 graphics points in the Time Spy benchmark. The 3DMark Firestrike score, meanwhile, is said to be around 27,000 points, beating an overclocked GTX 1080 Ti.

Update: For the unconvinced... and if you can't wait until next week for our full review. A new set of benchmarks have been outed by Videocardz, copied from Nvidia's own GTX 2080 Reviewer's Guide...

Last but not least, you can watch Steve unbox the GeForce RTX 2080 we're in the process of reviewing, tear it down and talk technical specs...

Permalink to story.

I hate reading about "leaks".

It just pisses me off. Nowadays "leaks" are just sly marketing hype.

Let's wait for the reviews, not just one, but many reviews to make our conclusion.

I think Techspot should also stop reporting "leaks" from other websites to garner readership, and place hard-coded judgement instead with first-person experience and let us readers know about your real truth about how these hardware actually stand against the so called "leaks" and hypes.

Last edited:
90% of 'leaks' are intentional.
Great way to see how the actual public reacts.

Soon we will see another great review from Steve (ray tracing off and on results please) and countless fanboys staking their all important comments into the ground, like Indians painting their faces before a battle, all to argue over 3-10 FPS and convince themselves farther into biased oblivion of their beloved brand.
Go green team
Go red team.

Let the fanboy nerd battle commence in the results thread, I got my popcorn ready.

I have a sneaky suspicion, that Nvidia is going to use this turing chip, & over sell to try and steal AMD's thunder during xmas, by dropping the price of the 2xxx series, to dirt cheap prices this winter.

Be like a 8800GT all over again.

In 3 months time, Nvidia may find themselves in a place they have not been in, in over a decade. And that is not having the top GPU on the market.... when AMD's 7nm Radeons hit the stores shelves in late this year, or early next. (Nvidia 7nm consumer GPUs are not expected until June/July 2019).

Well your link is to a GTX1080ti with a serious overclock going on.

Stock versus stock the GTX1080ti gets about 9500, which puts the RTX2080 about 7 percent faster if the score of 10147 is to be believed.

You do realize that Pascal cards can easily achieve 2 to 2.1 GHz easily with boost 3.0 right? It's reasonable to assume that the 2080 is utilizing either boost 3.0 or a new iteration of it which automatically OCs the GPU when it has the thermal headroom to do so.

"The 3DMark Firestrike score, meanwhile, is said to be around 27,000 points, beating an overclocked GTX 1080 Ti."

By how much? Just someone release some stats with actual comparisons already.

"claims both the RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti leave their previous-gen counterparts behind when it comes to 4K gaming."

Is this news? New card is better, it would be news if it wasn't. Also I couldn't care less for 4K gaming as good monitors cost too much. If it doesn't impact 1440p or 1080p performance I have no interest.

"It shows that the RTX 2080 sits on the 4K@60fps mark"

What game? This just makes the card sound bad as even 1070 can run overwatch and other esports titles over 100fps at 4K. Are they saying new high end is worse than last gen mid tier?

You do realize that Pascal cards can easily achieve 2 to 2.1 GHz easily with boost 3.0 right? It's reasonable to assume that the 2080 is utilizing either boost 3.0 or a new iteration of it which automatically OCs the GPU when it has the thermal headroom to do so.

I realise that a stock GTX1080ti does not sustain the boost clock speeds reported by that Timespy result page. I also realise a stock GTX1080ti does not have the memory clock speed reported by that page. Furthermore I realise a stock GTX1080ti does not ever achieve that score in Timespy as reported by that page.

I was informing you of these things.

That is a heavily overclocked GTX1080ti score. Now you know.

Also I couldn't care less for 4K gaming as good monitors cost too much. If it doesn't impact 1440p or 1080p performance I have no interest.
Better 4K performance means better performance overall, which is always good.

Changing the subject, here I was hoping that the 2070 could perform similar to the 1080ti and now it turns out that it will probably barely outperform the 1080. Perhaps in the long run, the 2070 will be faster with newer games, the same way the 1060 is distancing itself from the 970, even if they were comparable at launch.

"It also announced that the GeForce RTX 2080 would outperform the GTX 1080 Ti."

I should hope so. Is this really that impressive?

No people simply got spoiled last gen Pascal leaps over Maxwell arch. Normally in any arch generation leap you typically get the down 1 card performance increase, the only people that were butt hurt are the people that expected another 80-100% performance increase. From here we will probably be looking at the same cadence until we have mainstream 7nm.

Also I couldn't care less for 4K gaming as good monitors cost too much. If it doesn't impact 1440p or 1080p performance I have no interest.
Better 4K performance means better performance overall, which is always good.

Changing the subject, here I was hoping that the 2070 could perform similar to the 1080ti and now it turns out that it will probably barely outperform the 1080. Perhaps in the long run, the 2070 will be faster with newer games, the same way the 1060 is distancing itself from the 970, even if they were comparable at launch.

I don't think he knows how performance works, besides that fact you don't need 240htz 1080p a 1060 6gb maintains 60-80fps consistently I was testing 1440p with a 1060 6gb and was surprised most titles at ultra were giving 30-60fps, a 2060 will in all likelihood give 120-144htz 1080p gaming stable.

I hate reading about "leaks".

It just pisses me off. Nowadays "leaks" are just sly marketing hype.

Let's wait for the reviews, not just one, but many reviews to make our conclusion.

I think Techspot should also stop reporting "leaks" from other websites to garner readership, and place hard-coded judgement instead with first-person experience and let us readers know about your real truth about how these hardware actually stand against the so called "leaks" and hypes.

You're not speaking for me I know that much!

None of those Time Spy numbers are from identical CPU setups. Some overclocked some not, so no data there, just a bunch of mostly unrelated anecdotes. Reviews will tell what the improvement actually is.

Back