Nvidia says RTX 3080/3090 shortages will continue into next year

midian182

Staff member
TL;DR: Getting hold of an RTX 3080 or RTX 3090 since their launch has been a nightmare for most people, but at least they should become easier to buy in the next couple of months, right? Not according to Jensen Huang. The Nvidia boss says the incredible demand for the cards is going to get worse as the holiday season approaches, meaning shortages can be expected until next year—and the RTX 3070 will likely suffer the same fate.

The Ampere launch has been far from smooth. Scalpers used bots to buy large numbers of RTX 3080 cards and sell them on eBay for ridiculous prices. Nvidia promised it would fight back against the practice using methods such as manually reviewing orders for the RTX 3090 release, but its efforts did little to help. There was also the whole capacitor confusion.

Purchasing highly anticipated products will always prove difficult during their initial release period, and most consumers are pinning their hopes on grabbing an Ampere card before the year is out. But Nvidia CEO Huang warns not to get your hopes up.

"I believe that demand will outstrip all of our supply through the year," he said (via Tom’s Hardware). "Remember, we're also going into the double-whammy. The double-whammy is the holiday season. Even before the holiday season, we were doing incredibly well, and then you add on top of it the ‘Ampere factor,’ and then you add on top of that the ‘Ampere holiday factor,’ and we're going to have a really really big Q4 season."

Huang added that the shortages of Ampere cards isn’t a supply issue; it’s because the products are experiencing unbelievable demand and Nvidia wasn’t ready for it. "The 3080 and 3090 have a demand issue, not a supply issue. The demand issue is that it is much, much greater than we expected — and we expected really a lot."

"Retailers will tell you they haven't seen a phenomenon like this in over a decade of computing. It hearkens back to the old days of Windows 95 and Pentium when people were just out of their minds to buy this stuff. So this is a phenomenon like we've not seen in a long time, and we just weren't prepared for it."

"Even if we knew about all the demand, I don't think it's possible to have ramped that fast. We're ramping really, really hard. Yields are great, the product's shipping fantastically, it's just getting sold out instantly. I appreciate it very much, I just don't think there's a real problem to solve. It's a phenomenon to observe. It's just a phenomenon."

Nvidia recently announced that it was moving the RTX 3070 launch from October 15 to October 29, which should help alleviate shortage issues. But a $499 card that offers RTX 2080 Ti-beating performance (according to the firm) is going to be very popular. And with the knowledge that its big brothers will be in short supply until 2021, expect the next Ampere product to disappear from stores just as quickly as its predecessors. It’ll be interesting to see if AMD can take advantage of the situation when its Radeon 6000 cards arrive in a few weeks.

Permalink to story.

"The 3080 and 3090 have a demand issue, not a supply issue.”....Umm, excuse me?
Yes, the supply of food is just fine...it’s just that morbidly obese people are eating more and that’s why you are starving. Makes perfect sense to me. BTW...I predict that this “over-demand” (ie: not an “under-supply”) will continue into Fall of 2021.....Good luck getting one, fellow space cadets.

Yeah I am sure this is just you stupid people wanting to buy our products and not Jensen trying to bluff TSMC into a better 7nm deal and getting his bluff called henceforth now being stuck in a Samsung fab. Yes before you get mad, even if Samsung is "just as good" or "even better" for their products, the fact that they switched last minute to Samsung means that OF COURSE Nvidia will not have any kind of decent yields at all, I bet most of the viable chips are being used just to KINDA keep up with server demand.

AMD basically just need to get within 15% of the 3080 to basically crush them this generation thanks to this stupid switch to Samsung to fab from Nvidia.

But I am sure that has nooooothing to do with their paper launch and continued lack of supply.

Τhis is what happens in a Monopoly situation where only one company in the world, NVIDIA, are able to sell a product that offers this kind of performance. They are able to manipulate product volume in such a manner so as to artificially maintain prices high.

Lose-lose situation for the consumer.

At this point in time and as the Steam Survey showed, ATI/AMD cards are almost completely irrelevant and obsolescent.

I am not optimistic that AMD will even manage to offer a product to rival the performance of 3070.

AMD, GPU Dept, is still in the "Faildozer" stage of evolution, to use a famous AMD CPU product that became a meme b/c it was just so bad.

Last edited:
Yeah I am sure this is just you stupid people wanting to buy our products and not Jensen trying to bluff TSMC into a better 7nm deal and getting his bluff called henceforth now being stuck in a Samsung fab.

Sad part is, NVIDIA probably could have set the 3090 price @ $2,200-2,500 instead of $1,499 and sold just as many....if it’s all about “demand” as he says it is. This bozo should stick with chip design....business-sense he is clearly lacking.

Haha...Riiiight! It's the demand huh? If they had enough supply we could have waited in line at any Best Buy to get one on launch days. Instead that only happened at Microcenter which has like 1/100th of the locations across the USA. Reality is they probably only had supply to send 1 per Best Buy brick and mortar...if that, allocated to best buy. Probably didn't even have enough to get every best buy a card. This is such a big failure. Goto Samsung on a process yields are stilly a bit iffy and then also spec memory that doesn't exactly exist yet in OK volume. So hopefully it's MOSTLY the GDDR6X that is the issue or 3070 is gonna be a problem also. Delay of 3070 suggests it might be Samsung as much as Micron and GDDR6X. All together seems they are very scared of what AMD will throw onto the market in November.

I didn't know so many people are in such great financial situations that they could afford these. I guess the reports of mass unemployment and financial crisis is just fake news. Go Trump.

Stop blaming scalpers since we all know Nvidia didn't even have enough so sell initially. They could have waited until they had more to launch. This may be why the 3070 launch is pushed back

Haha...Riiiight! It's the demand huh? If they had enough supply we could have waited in line at any Best Buy to get one on launch days. Instead that only happened at Microcenter which has like 1/100th of the locations across the USA. Reality is they probably only had supply to send 1 per Best Buy brick and mortar...if that, allocated to best buy. Probably didn't even have enough to get every best buy a card. This is such a big failure. Goto Samsung on a process yields are stilly a bit iffy and then also spec memory that doesn't exactly exist yet in OK volume. So hopefully it's MOSTLY the GDDR6X that is the issue or 3070 is gonna be a problem also. Delay of 3070 suggests it might be Samsung as much as Micron and GDDR6X. All together seems they are very scared of what AMD will throw onto the market in November.
Whats funny is that Best Buy doesnt even get or sell these on launch day in stores. They havent done that type of thing for computers in a very long time. Didnt do it with the 10 series, 20 series, super editions and didnt do it with the 30 series. A random store is always possible to get stock in but overall most if not all did not get any stock in. And while the stock will be limited overall, its not impossible that limited stock may still come in. Also some products do come in due to canceled orders.

Τhis is what happens in a Monopoly situation where only one company in the world, NVIDIA, are able to sell a product that offers this kind of performance. They are able to manipulate product volume in such a manner so as to artificially maintain prices high.

Lose-lose situation for the consumer.

At this point in time and as the Steam Survey showed, ATI/AMD cards are almost completely irrelevant and obsolescent.

I am not optimistic that AMD will even manage to offer a product to rival the performance of 3070.

AMD, GPU Dept, is still in the "Faildozer" stage of evolution, to use a famous AMD CPU product that became a meme b/c it was just so bad.

Navi is a very good GPU architecture actually. It's is very close to turing efficiency wise (hasn't really changed with Ampere either).

If AMD had released big navi on RDNA1 it would be competitive with the 3080.

I expect your comment will be proven incorrect in short order.

Whats funny is that Best Buy doesnt even get or sell these on launch day in stores. They havent done that type of thing for computers in a very long time. Didnt do it with the 10 series, 20 series, super editions and didnt do it with the 30 series. A random store is always possible to get stock in but overall most if not all did not get any stock in. And while the stock will be limited overall, its not impossible that limited stock may still come in. Also some products do come in due to canceled orders.
Yeah.. I'm sure this is partly a best buy choice... But it's also probably partially cause Best Buy isn't going to bother to get something on a shelf for you unless you have the goods a bit early to make it less of a **** show at the stores on the launch day. They don't want to send folks all over town trying to find stores the lines were under the supply. But even Microcenter only having 10-40 per store doesn't seem like a proper supply for such a retailer..... Even if it was not expected to be a super huge demand. Those could have been gone in a day or two just from mellow and meager interest levels.

Stop blaming scalpers since we all know Nvidia didn't even have enough so sell initially. They could have waited until they had more to launch. This may be why the 3070 launch is pushed back
Exactly scalpers only exist when there is a crappy launch volume. If there is any realistic attempt at all to cover demand scalping becomes an iffy proposition. Just doing a pre-order on announcement by surprise for no reason other tha. To feel out demand would help massively... But you can only do that if you are pretty certain you have the goods to offer availability in reasonable time after announcing. Really seems this was extremely limited supply that never should have been claimed as launch ready.

Jayz2cents mentioned they only sold a few thousand globally. Pretty wack. Anyone here have a card with proof?

Back