Nvidia Shield price dropped to $299, arrives on June 27th

By Jos
Jun 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Nvidia has shared a couple of updates on its upcoming Shield gaming handheld. Specifically, the “end of June” shipping estimate has now been pinned down to exactly one week from now on June 27, while an update to the device’s...

Read more
  2. roxxas2

roxxas2 Newcomer, in training Posts: 64   +20

For me, this'll cost $700. $300 for the shield, and $400 for the GTX 680 for streaming.
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,789   +702

"Those who preordered the Shield prior to the price update will only be charged $300"
    That's still $400 to much in my book.
  4. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 368   +68

I think if they market this to kids and teens it will be successful. The price will eventually drop in the future. I'm even thinking that it will be nice for my nephew for Christmas, but it is still too pricey. The screen also looks like if it takes a fall it will come right off.
  5. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

I wish at least one analog stick had a trackball. It would be mouse-like aiming on a controller.
  6. Neat tech, but you need a new Nvidia gfx card to use it to it's full potential, so it's a $600-$700 handheld. 3DS is a better buy if you're in the market for a handheld. But if you're wealthy, then go nuts!
  7. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,680   +870

That thing is so clunky... no thanks.
  8. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 183   +24

Wow who is gonna bother with this
  9. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,383   +607

Serious Q: Since it runs Android, are there any AAA games being released on it, a la PS Vita style games? Or is it just going to play slightly-more-demanding Tegra-Zone games and stream from your GPU?

Found answer:
    So it's pretty much an Android handheld.
  10. Yeah but the the games are between $0 and $10 most are around $5-$7.

How much are 3DS games and Vita games....?
  11. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 946   +28

Let's consider the people who are interested in playing remote games from their PC:

- If they already have a GeForce GTX 650 or better, they don't need to pay more.
    - If they are hardcore AMD fans, they won't buy an NVIDIA product anyway.
    - If they have a card that's not compatible and are interested, they will have to pay a minimum of $110 (Newegg price for a GTX 650, perhaps less elsewhere), and more if they have something powerful and want to match it (or the price of a new PC with a GTX 650, which could be cheaper).
    - If they have a laptop, they're screwed no matter what they have. They'd have to buy a desktop PC.

For me $150 (GeForce 650 Ti Boost) should give a decent performance boost over my Radeon 5850, so if I bought a Shield the total would be $450. But hey, I'd also get an upgrade to my PC.

As for games, I assume that if the Android consoles have some measure of success more console style Android games will appear, and others will be adapted. There are quite a few games with virtual controllers which would work better with a real controller.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.