Nvidia Tegra 2 tablet prototype shown, seems promising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Nvidia let folks get up close and personal with a Foxconn-manufactured tablet prototype this evening, and based on early impressions, it's a keeper. The unnamed Android slate measures 8.9-inches and is powered by an Nvidia Tegra 2 system-on-a-chip -- which boasts eight independent processors, including a 1GHz dual-core ARM Cortex A9 CPU. There's also a gig of system memory, a front-mounted camera, two USB ports and the multi-touch WSVGA display.

When the Tegra 2 was first unveiled, Nvidia claimed the chip was four times faster than its predecessor. The SoC can make quick work of 3D games and HD video, all while consuming less power than Intel's Atom and Qualcomm's Snapdragon. Engadget had a brief hands-on with the slate and shot a 24-second video of it running a 3D football title, and Gizmodo has photos of it running another game.

There's no information on when the tablet will be finished, but we'd expect it to debut before the year is up.

Permalink to story.

Android 2.2 (Froyo) will support Flash natively, so considering this tablet is not ready for mass consumption just yet I'd assume it will ship with a later version of Android and thus support Flash. That said, IMO this Flash support thing has spun out of control.

Apples stance of not supporting Flash has caused more publicity for Adobe than their best ad campaigns of recent times. If I buy a tablet I want it to do everything - I don't want to regret my purchase. Therefore I won't buy any device that doesn't support Flash. Seems fair enough to me - maybe Apple are just waiting for people to give up and get on without using it but thats unlikely to happen any time soon.

caplioui006 said:
He is a man, how do you say, or others are good, he would move, he said that he not afraid of his evil, but afraid people are good...

This is what happens when you buy Apple products...Damn you Steve Jobs!

hello ...

seems interesting indeed, but i need 1 NOW! ;) ... OK will wait, but hope nothing version 10,00010 of any existing one won't steal my focus on it.

cheers!

If the price is about $400 and it allows external monitor/keyboard, and/or a way to sync the data between the device and a regular laptop/computer, then I will definitely buy it.

Hope it's not vaporware... The HP Slate looked promising as well, before someone took it to a back alley and put it out of it's misery...

This looks awesome, just wish they had more demo's of some games running. Curious to see what the end result and price will be once it's finally ready.

This looks like a yummy piece of hardware! And for those who are thinking that it may not be as good of quality as an iPad, just remember that Foxconn manufactures those too! Give it too me for $300-$400 and I will buy it! :D

After googling it, i couldn't find much extra info but this does sound awesome! I would gladly have a tablet that can actually run flash rather than the iPad which can't. I don't mind if my phone can or not as its a phone so i don't really care, but the iPad lost out by not including it as your meant to sit in your living room and enjoy browsing the web yet half the web is made using flash?

At least this will fill that spot =)

In my opinion support for flash is important. Not necessarily for showing videos but most importantly for supporting rich applications. Some say that wait for HTLM5 and do applications with that. However Flash is already here and HTML5 is expected to reach the W3C Candidate Recommendation stage during 2012. So in the meantime dont produce or sell anything??? Ok, it sucks that plugin is needed most of the time but javascript powered web applications suck even more. Frameworks have to bridge the impedance mismatch between different browsers and performance may differ between browsers and debugging is tedious and slow process (read: expensive). With Flash Plugin you get same runtime environment (ActionScript Virtual Machine 2) for every application and every browser and performance wont vary as much.

In my opinion HTML5 is just an attempt to start new browser wars, so I just want to lay back for a while and watch the fight. And at the same time produce web applications with Flash or Flex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back