Nvidia's Physx/CUDA or ATi's DX11?

Nvidia or ATi?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a hard choice. I never had experience with ATi so i'm choosing Nvidia.

I'm taking out the GTX 470 & 480 cuz there too expensive to count lol.

Exactly. But i'm also in the process of getting a new card and i can't decide if i want Nvidias technology or ATis DX11 support.

In real world I don't even see much point in Physx (which you didn't mentioned) at this moment despite nVidia drumbeating continuously about it because the difference is so small.

Having said that, I recently bought my first ATI discrete solution (I am just a casual gamer at best); and I am satisfied with the performance. Right now, as nVidia's next generation offerings has been laid out, I think ATI has best value proposition (i.e. price/performance/value), unless GTX 460 (or whatever it may be called) can undercut competition not only in price but also in performance; which is a tall order.

Lol. I just read a forum saying that PhysX was a testing engine Nvidia used and very few games use it. Otherwise the game developers code their own psychics in the game. Weather the card supports Physx or not its the game that runs it. So very true. I now leaning tword ATi.

And does CUDA do anything? or is that the name for Nvidias GPU?

It never did anything for me by the way I still have my older 9600GT running in another machine.

Compute Unified Device Architecture (CUDA) is described here.

At this point it would definitely seem that ATI is providing the best GPU solutions in terms of price and performance.

Its not ATI's DX11, NVidia will have affordable DX11 cards out soon, though far past due time, apparently.

Try this summer or later. The two cards nvidia currently has out are dx11 capable but obviously quite expensive and have been shown to do worse than even a 5770/4850 in some cases. If I was to get a 400 series nvidia card I would wait till next year to see how things roll. If I had money to blow, heck, I'd go for the 480 right now just to mess with it. But, if you want a card right now, I suggest you take a look at the xfx 4890 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150438&cm_re=4890-_-14-150-438-_-Product and the xfx 5770 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447&cm_re=5770-_-14-150-447-_-Product
Both look very impressive. The price gap is somewhat large imo though

Try this summer or later. The two cards nvidia currently has out are dx11 capable but obviously quite expensive and have been shown to do worse than even a 5770/4850 in some cases.

"some cases" I presume means price and power consumption ?

@Linken91
Unless you plan on a career in coding then CUDA is of no value to you whatsoever
PhysX games (that use hardware acceleration) here..most games that use PhysX here

If you're the kind of person who buys games on launch day then take note of how many you own/enjoy that start off with "ATI Premium Graphics" and how many with "Nvidia:The Way It's Meant to Be Played". The branding will determine, to a degree, which vendors cards will likely be problem-free on launch day for that particular game developer.
If, however, you usually wait a while until purchasing a game then either vendor will provide a good/playable gaming experience.

Despite the fact Ati cards are better atm I still hate their drivers. Instead of simplifying the interface Ati has gone from bad to worse not to mention the early days of Windows 7 when installing W 7 with an Ati card was a real adventure.
DX 11 maybe in the future, quite distant future :)
How many DX 10 exclusive titles are on the market?

Meanin certain games. Some games the new gtx cards will do amazing and some they'll suck. The Radeon 5870 is nearly always first place. (benchmarks. actual gameplay may differ obviously)

First point....My "Some cases ?" quote was directed at the fact that you're telling the forum that the HD 5770 and 4850 (not even dx11 capable) have superior abilities. If you're talking power consumption then yes. Other than that your assertion makes little or no sense.
Second point...as hellokitty points out, the HD5870 posts inferior framerates in the majority of games tested by reviewers. I've already put together an amalgam of review benchmarks for my customers which I outlined in this post:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/post874021-93.html
Whichever way you work the figures, the HD 5870 doesn't top the GTX480, nor does the HD5850 top the GTX470 for that matter if you base the exercise solely of frames per second. Massaging the figures to AMD's advantage, say, by using 2560x1600 resolution at 4xAA (or better)/16xAF will provide the HD 5850 with better figures than the GTX470, but using the same parameters increases the GTX480's performance percentage over the 5870 by an even larger amount.

This is pretty much the closest an HD 5870 will get to a GTX 480. Bear in mind that the MSI Lightning in the review is heavily overclocked to get these numbers (which still lag behind the nVidia card) while drawing 3% more power than the GTX 480.

Try this summer or later. The two cards nvidia currently has out are dx11 capable but obviously quite expensive and have been shown to do worse than even a 5770/4850 in some cases. If I was to get a 400 series nvidia card I would wait till next year to see how things roll. If I had money to blow, heck, I'd go for the 480 right now just to mess with it. But, if you want a card right now, I suggest you take a look at the xfx 4890 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150438&cm_re=4890-_-14-150-438-_-Product and the xfx 5770 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447&cm_re=5770-_-14-150-447-_-Product
Both look very impressive. The price gap is somewhat large imo though
Go with the 4890, the 5770 benchmarks lower than the 4870 and 4890.

You can still download and isntall the nVidia PhysX engine because it's compatible with both ATI and nVidia graphics cards.

First point....My "Some cases ?" quote was directed at the fact that you're telling the forum that the HD 5770 and 4850 (not even dx11 capable) have superior abilities. If you're talking power consumption then yes. Other than that your assertion makes little or no sense.

At this early point in dx11 enabled gpus, it doesn't really matter as the ones that are capable of it won't be able to handle it well when dx11 games are abundant.
Power consumption: haha all cases. nVidia's new cards suck so much power
My assertion to it is in actual gaming performance, not statistics.

At this early point in dx11 enabled gpus, it doesn't really matter as the ones that are capable of it won't be able to handle it well when dx11 games are abundant.
Power consumption: haha all cases. nVidia's new cards suck so much power
My assertion to it is in actual gaming performance, not statistics.

:haha::haha::haha::haha:
You missed April 1st by a country mile.

Maybe your sig should read "Real men are divorced from reality" :evil:

Of course, in your reality, you've had access to gaming with a GTX470/480 for some time-unless you're basing "actual gaming performance" on yet another work of fiction.

It disheartens me to see that Techspot cannot attract a better quality of troll.
Yeah, I had to vote nVidia in the poll just on the strength of this zealot.

:haha::haha::haha::haha:
You missed April 1st by a country mile.

Maybe your sig should read "Real men are divorced from reality" :evil:

Of course, in your reality, you've had access to gaming with a GTX470/480 for some time-unless you're basing "actual gaming performance" on yet another work of fiction.

It disheartens me to see that Techspot cannot attract a better quality of troll.
Yeah, I had to vote nVidia in the poll just on the strength of this zealot.

I love you XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back