OC my i7 920@2.67 to 3.0+ *If possible*

Hello:

Im new to techspot-and Ok @ the OC stuff. I would like to see what advice you guys can give in regards to possibly overclocking my i7920.

PC STATS:

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and All-Black Interior (case has 4 fans) 2 Large 2 small)

Intel i7 920@2.67GH'z (intel x58chipset)
core voltage: 0.936v-1.1v
core speed 1600-2500Mhz
bus speed 133.6Mhz
20GB RAM
64bit OS
Motherboard: P6T Delux V2
Graphics card: Radeon HD 5770

Based on the above information: I would like to know/get feedback if......

A. is it possible to overclock to 3.0+ without having to much heat problems or melting my CPU.
B. if possible. where can I find a good guide? or tech support??. here?!
C. what other options do I have? if not the OC option

** Thank you for your time and replies **

Intel Core i7-920 Overclocking Guide. Page 5 (ASUS P6T Deluxe Mainboard

Conclusion

Let’s see what we ended up with here. Our today’s test session proved that new Core i7 processors overclock not any worse than their predecessors. We took the first mass production Core i7-920 CPU we came across and managed to increase its clock speed by 40% reaching 3.8GHz. We didn’t involve any special cooling solutions, just used a mass production air cooler. We also didn’t push the voltages to any dangerous limits.

Download CPU-Z and see which stepping your i7 920 is. D0 will be much easier to overclock and will get better results than C0, although both should get well above 3Ghz easily.

I have D0 stepping running at 3.6-3.8GHz, on ASUS P6T. I can show you exactly which BIOS settings I used, although I have a nice guide I can link too.

Do you have an aftermarket CPU cooler? And what exactly is your RAM configuration?

Slh28: appreciate the feedback. will do with the d0.

St1ckM4n: Id appreciate the full BIOS troubleshoot if you wouldn't mind. All the PC parts were aftermarket. Although the fan is basic Intel Cooling fan for the CPU.

Stop right here and get a custom CPU cooler. Cooler Master Hyper 212 or whatever, if you have to. I'm not going to suggest any form of O/C to a first-gen i7 with stock cooler, sorry dude.

I'll post the guides later, but I definitely do not recommend doing anything while on stock.

Back