Overclocking Core i7 920 and GSkill memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

king21092

Check my specs for extra hardware info.

It seems as if I never can find someone that wants to run the same specs as me, or if they do, they don't want to overclock both at the same time.

I'm trying to get my core i7 920 to run somewhere between 3.2 and 3.4 (200 x 16 or 200x 17) while at the same time I'm looking to get my G.Skill memory to run at 2000MHz.

Getting my memory to run at 2000MHz is easy, by using the settings in the XMP profile, but something is wrong somewhere because I always BSOD after about an hour. So my assumption is that the XMP profile is for similar, but not the same memory.

I have tried the info at G.Skills website stating that I need to use these settings to get them to run at 2000MHz:
Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
CPU Ratio Setting - 16
Intel SpeedStep Tech - Disabled
BCLK Frequency - 200
DRAM Frequency - DDR3-2000
UCLK Frequency - 4000MHz
QPI Link Data Rate - AUTO

DRAM Timing Control
CAS Latency - 9
tRCD - 9
tRP - 9
tRAS - 24
Command Rate - 2N

CPU Voltage - 1.30V
CPU PLL Voltage - 1.85V
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage - 1.50V
IOH Voltage - 1.35V
IOH PCIE Voltage - 1.6V
ICH Voltage - 1.20V
ICH PCIE Voltage - 1.60V
DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.66V

Load Line Calibration - Disabled

I've also tried using 1N and 3N for Command Rate with no success.

If you don't already know I know nothing of how to overclock with this new architecture, so I came here looking for some help.

If anyone could help me get my memory to run at the stated OC specs, then that should be good enough. But if possible I would like to OC my i7 at the same time.

Anyway, thanks ahead of time.

~King

Like supersmashbrada said, your voltages isn't high enough, that RAM is rated for 1.6V just for running at stock, so you might need to increase it a little.

Also, you should check if its even possible to run your mem at those speeds by reducing your CPU multiplier just for testing. Run memtest with a lower CPU multiplier so you can reach higher mem speeds without your CPU running into trouble.

Do this vice versa as well.

And if all is well, pray hard they work with both at required speeds :D

It may help to mention that the BIOS of the Deluxe V2 is very odd. I say that because the when changing the voltage of many different variables, it only goes by an even number increments. For instance when changing the DRAM Bus Voltage voltage it will NOT go to 1.65v, but it will go to 1.64v or 1.66v.

I'm currently doodling with your suggestions, if I can't get it to work I'll post back.

EDIT:

Ok, so my memory passed about a little over an hour, at least one pass of Memtest. I personally can't function letting it run for 4-5 hours during the day. Plus it's not my intended results.

Extra notes: Been running the memory at 1600MHz before I checked the post today. Been going strong for a day and a half. Survived 9 hours of OCCT with memory usage set to high.

Below is a list of my current BIOS config (have done minimal changes to get to 1604 MHz):

Here's the image.

If anything I said is too confusing, here's the short answer.

slh28 - Yes, runs fine.
dividebyzero - Yes, a short test, but they have been good for a day or two running at 1600 MHz.
supersmashbrada - Increase it on what presets, the G.Skill or the XMP profile? I'll go ahead and try it on both just to make sure.
CMH - I tried the following settings:
Multiplier - 14
BCLK - 200
DRAM Freq. - ~2000
While everything else was on auto. in the end I got the "Overclocking Failed" error. I'll go back and try it with a few settings being manually changed.

EDIT 2:

Currently trying the XMP profile, except with the DRAM voltage set to 1.66v and to QPI/DRAM voltage set to 1.65v. I'll post back with results.

^^ UPDATE: The above settings appear to be working with 2 and a half passes or Memtest. I then boosted the multiplier to 19 and raised the baseclock to 166. At about ~3150 MHz.. I'll post results after some use. I'll also run OCCT CPU stress test and Memtest once again overnight.

Well, it does seem everything is going fine. It seems like the problem you had was just the voltages.

As far as 1.65 or 1.66, it doesn't really matter. Some people may even push their luck and go as far as 1.85, but of course, the higher you go, the more likely your mem will fry.

It seems like the problem you had was just the voltages.

Indeed that was the problem, as I ran about 8 hours over night of Memtest86+ without a hitch. I'll make sure to run it overnight for the next few nights for reassurance. Anyway, everything seems to be running fine, thanks to everyone's suggestions.

As far as I know it's looking smooth, thanks to anyone and everyone that provided any tips or solutions. Techspot is awesome, as usual. :approve:

~King

Ok, I figured I'd reply once more.

So I've been looking around and it seems that everyone thinks 1.65V for the QPI is extremely high. Is this so? Everything I've read so far, not one person has gone over like QPI 1.6v.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back