Occasional BSODs for which DCOM might be the culprit

Phanixis

Despite my best efforts, my system still suffers from BSOD errors all too often.

I was going through the event viewer under system and I noticed the same reoccurring error, which occurred on the last three dates my system suffered BSODs, and which also appear to occur on dates in which I have not suffered a BSOD. I am starting to think this might be the culprit.

The error source is listed as DCOM under Event Viewer/System, and the error reads as follows:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{555F3418-D99E-4E51-800A-6E89CFD8B1D7}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

These will occur in pairs in the event logs. They are often followed by a Service Control manager error.

I am not sure if these are the cause of my BSODs. I can post minidump files if necessary.

Any help analyzing this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Done.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Mini112311-01.dmp
    160 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini111211-02.dmp
  • Mini111211-01.dmp
  • Mini092511-01.dmp
  • Mini090611-01.dmp
Five minidumps and four different error codes + the frequency of your BSODs is a good sign that your issue is with your RAM. Now your dumps didn't cite corrupted memory as the specific cause bu7t when we see a mix of codes plus, again, your symptoms we have people run Memtest on their RAM.

Do you know how to run memtest? If so please do so for a minimum of 7 Passes and more if you can.

The RAM again. I recently replaced the RAM because of earlier BSODs I was having. Memtest wasn't able to find anything back then, but after removing some of my RAM and noticed an increase in the BSOD frequency when running on one stick. Replaced the entirety of my RAM with 2 GB to dual-channel Gskill RAM, thought a did away with the problem.

I will run memtest when I can find the time. However, seeing how I already replaced the RAM, I am now thinking faulty RAM slots as opposed to faulty RAM. Does that sound reasonable?

I can switch RAM slots and see if I can correct the problems.

Yes, faulty RAM slots can be the issue or itt could be the memory voltage is not set properly via the BIOS. Again, I am not saying it is your RAM but with the different error codes we have seen RAM cause the mixture.

For further information one error code was 0x3B and these are usually caused by video card drivers. In this case the Nvidia display driver nv4_disp.dll was cited as the cause.

Two files cited the driver alcwdm64.sys which is a Realtech onboard audio driver.

* First run memtest. What security software are you running?

I will need to check the memory voltage settings. That one is simple enough to test/fix.

Video continues to be problematic. Much like the RAM, it is a problem I thought I fixed with updated the drivers and attempts to fix registry video entries, but it continues to creep in.

As for the audio driver, I make use of the motherboard's built in Realtech AC97 soundcard. Unfortunately, being a built in card, its drivers are provided by Asus just for my specific model of motherboard, and Asus hasn't bothered to update said drivers since 2005. I even remember the conditions of one of the audio BSODs, playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution while simultaneously chatting with a friend on Skype.

Security software wise I am running Avira. I switched to it from AVG after I had replaced my RAM and formatted my only to suffer more BSODs. Ditching AVG eliminated the BSODs for awhile. But as you can see, they have returned in force.

Thanks for the help. I want to keep the system running at least for one more year.

Try the following concerning the video drivers:

1. Go to our Download section and click on Utilities and then download Driver Sweeper 3.1 to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver
Sweeper and remove ONLY the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their
chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* Also, have you tried running a hard drive diagnostic?

That is exactly what I attempted to do in the past. Probably couldn't hurt to repeat the process though.

Hopefully I can attempt some of these things this weekend.

I can't seem to check the memory voltage from BIOS. I have done this in the past, and remember using a program to do this from Windows. Is there a program you can recommend?

Thanks.

Back