Occasional freezing with online videos

Ant1508

When opening pages with internet videos, occasionally my entire screen will freeze with a couple of odd exceptions: the mouse still moves but doesn't highlight anything and the computer appears to behave as normal, i.e the movements and clicks of the mouse can manipulate the (now playing, sound only obviously) video (pausing, skipping etc.).

Every time this happens, forcing shutdown and rebooting causes the computer to then behave normally, but obviously this is not ideal. The freezing happens fairly infrequently, once every couple of days or so, sometimes more often, and i don't have to actually be viewing the page when it happens, for example youtube changing to the next video in a music playlist open in a background tab can trigger it. Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks in advance people

Can we have your complete system specs, including version of Windows installed and power supply wattage?

Well its an Hp pavilion dv2530ea laptop

Windows 7 Home premium (updated from vista)
Intel core 2 duo 1.80 GHz processor
2GB RAM
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

All standard, not altered in any way from factory hardware

"Every time this happens, forcing shutdown and rebooting causes the computer to then behave normally, but obviously this is not ideal"...

You are right... Doing this corrupts the hard drives data, adding to the problem...

"Windows 7 Home premium (updated from vista)"...
Was this a clean install of Windows 7, meaning did you delete the Vista partition before you installed Windows 7? Are there any yellow exclamation points in the Device Manager?

It was not a clean install, when windows 7 came out i downloaded it directly from the website using a student account password, then followed all instructions to simply upgrade the OS.

Yes there are exclamation points in the device manager, they are all under 'other devices' and are called 'bluetooth peripheral device'. I believe this to be from when i had issues with connecting my old phone to my laptop via bluetooth.

Un-install that "bluetooth peripheral device' in the device manager... Windows 7 came out in late 2009. You did make a DVD of the student Windows 7 download, right? I would suggest that you re-install Windows 7 fresh, deleting the existing partition when you start the install

Back