Oculus Rift secures $16 million in Series A round of funding

By Shawn Knight
Jun 18, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The Oculus Rift is one step closer to a commercial launch as the company just announced their first round of funding to the tune of $16 million. Along with the announcement comes news that two investors have now joined the...

Read more
  2. I wonder if $16 million will pay for the release date I've always wanted!

They might as well buy the Omni Treadmill, and sell it as a set.
  3. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,025   +91

It's good to see that this kind of tech is getting a lot of attention and funding.
    You can also add CCP Games to the list of devs.
  4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 943   +82

Looks like you can pre-order development kits for $300. I wonder if that's an indication of what the full price will be to consumers when this becomes available? If this takes off future generations of this device would be amazing. I'd like to see headsets built in, room for eye glasses. But as-is, I think I'd still be an early adopter. It's taken to long to get good quality / low latency VR in the hands of conumers. And it's about time they do this!
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,831   +707

This could be the start of the next big thing in gaming. I hope Microsoft is taking notes because from what I read, their upcoming gaming console is looking as popular as a severe case of the clap.
  6. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 368   +68

This will never be popular. Just look at the 3d glasses, they all have fallen down head first. People don't want an ugly thingamabob on their head.
  7. hammer2085

hammer2085 Newcomer, in training Posts: 16

Not necessarily, I find this concept very Intriguing. See

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGFuedKS9Mg
  8. jeffz6

jeffz6 Newcomer, in training Posts: 78

I have the dev kit, and its the most fun Ive had in years. However the controls will, untill resolved, be a show stopper. There will never be a phisical way to naturally control movment etc, without being restrained by some means.

Ture virtual realitly will only be when a matrix is upon us.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.