TechSpot

OCZ launches high-capacity 3.5" Colossus SSDs

By Justin
Nov 17, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OCZ expanded their lineup of high-capacity SSDs today, officially launching the 3.5" Colossus line. Starting at 128GB, the Colossus also offers sizes of 256GB, 512GB and a massive 1TB of space. The drives feature a maximum read and write speed of 260MB/s, a sustained write speed of 220MB/s, and a max IOPS (4k file size, random write) of 14,000.

Read the whole story

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

There's no way -- even with tons of money -- that I would pay +$1100 for an *MLC* flash drive. Especially if I were going to fill it up. They have nearly 1/10th of the life span and they are substantially slower (although guess still an improvement over mechnical drives in most respects).

3. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 902   +52

Well the price isn't dropping the the capacity is getting bigger. Still can't justify spending the cost of my computer for a single part.

4. green98ls

green98ls TS Rookie

These companies should focus on making SSD cheaper rather then bigger. It'd be nice to have a $100 SSD for just a boot/system drive. I don't need a 500gb SSD to store files on

5. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +32

I agree that the prices need to come down (and they will), but the main concern is the lifespan as Rick mentioned.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.