TechSpot

OCZ launches high-capacity 3.5" Colossus SSDs

By Justin
Nov 17, 2009
  1. OCZ expanded their lineup of high-capacity SSDs today, officially launching the 3.5" Colossus line. Starting at 128GB, the Colossus also offers sizes of 256GB, 512GB and a massive 1TB of space. The drives feature a maximum read and write speed of 260MB/s, a sustained write speed of 220MB/s, and a max IOPS (4k file size, random write) of 14,000.

Read the whole story

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

There's no way -- even with tons of money -- that I would pay +$1100 for an *MLC* flash drive. Especially if I were going to fill it up. They have nearly 1/10th of the life span and they are substantially slower (although guess still an improvement over mechnical drives in most respects).

3. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 984   +86

Well the price isn't dropping the the capacity is getting bigger. Still can't justify spending the cost of my computer for a single part.

4. green98ls

green98ls TS Rookie

These companies should focus on making SSD cheaper rather then bigger. It'd be nice to have a $100 SSD for just a boot/system drive. I don't need a 500gb SSD to store files on

5. Timonius

Timonius TS Evangelist Posts: 624   +53

I agree that the prices need to come down (and they will), but the main concern is the lifespan as Rick mentioned.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.