OCZ to unveil USB 3.0 solid state drive at CES 2010

By Jos
Nov 20, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There just seem to be no stopping OCZ Technology when it comes to solid-state drive development. The company recently expanded their already impressive lineup with the 3.5-inch Colossus series, and touted a new and improved generation of drives based on controllers from startup SandForce. Now they are looking to introduce the first external SSD to hook up via the super speedy USB 3.0 interconnect.

Read the whole story
  2. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,022   +87

I was actually thinking today that USB 3.0 external SSD's should start appearing soon. And i was right! But we still need SSD's to be cheaper than they are now.
  3. Zeromus

Zeromus TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

GeForce, nForce, sandForce. Note the manufacturer incongruity.
  4. thomasxstewart

thomasxstewart Newcomer, in training

Ya, Mudforce. See 3.0 may be delayer until thru '10. then sata III start to push up to limit as usb3.0 gives sheap speed BLASTS w/o expensive carding. Do whole show now for one & fifie.

drashek
  5. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Fine tuned to work perfectly at the convention, I presume.

The real tests come in actual use... a Year from now we will all have them.
  6. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,917   +119 Staff Member

I would never use USB for any primary date storage uses
    It is such an inefficient protocol that it even puts Adobe's Flash in good light

Firewire on the other hand would work, but very few mainboards support booting from firewire devices (USB is a "dumb" protocol just like the "Winmodems" I think most can relate to, Firewire on the other hand is a host protocol where the client has to do processing by it's own, like hardware modems for example, thus not hoggig the systems CPU for resources)
  7. ununpentium

ununpentium Newcomer, in training

WOW WOW WOW! The excellent OCZ SSDs with USB 3: a winning strategy!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.