OCZ to unveil USB 3.0 solid state drive at CES 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

There just seem to be no stopping OCZ Technology when it comes to solid-state drive development. The company recently expanded their already impressive lineup with the 3.5-inch Colossus series, and touted a new and improved generation of drives based on controllers from startup SandForce. Now they are looking to introduce the first external SSD to hook up via the super speedy USB 3.0 interconnect.

No details regarding performance or storage capacity are available for the device yet, but the renders above show a micro-USB connector, as well as 8 NAND memory modules. Additionally we know that the SandForce controllers on upcoming drives from OCZ support up to 260MB/s sequential read and write speeds. The company is said to be crowdsourcing a name for the device before its launch, which is expected to take place at CES 2010 in Las Vegas in early January. Feel free to leave your suggestion in the comments.

Permalink to story.

I was actually thinking today that USB 3.0 external SSD's should start appearing soon. And i was right! But we still need SSD's to be cheaper than they are now.

Ya, Mudforce. See 3.0 may be delayer until thru '10. then sata III start to push up to limit as usb3.0 gives sheap speed BLASTS w/o expensive carding. Do whole show now for one & fifie.

drashek

Fine tuned to work perfectly at the convention, I presume.

The real tests come in actual use... a Year from now we will all have them.

I would never use USB for any primary date storage uses
It is such an inefficient protocol that it even puts Adobe's Flash in good light

Firewire on the other hand would work, but very few mainboards support booting from firewire devices (USB is a "dumb" protocol just like the "Winmodems" I think most can relate to, Firewire on the other hand is a host protocol where the client has to do processing by it's own, like hardware modems for example, thus not hoggig the systems CPU for resources)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back