OCZ Vertex 3 configuration issue

As I'm reluctant to have to sell my existing CPU/motherboard/RAM and upgrade all to take full advantage of the OCZ I've just ordered and paid for, for best performance (regardless of the costs involved) in order to keep using my Intel Core i7 X 980 would you recommend a new motherboard or a SATA 3 card?
Thanks
Darryl

As I'm reluctant to have to sell my existing CPU/motherboard/RAM and upgrade all to take full advantage of the OCZ I've just ordered and paid for, for best performance (regardless of the costs involved) in order to keep using my Intel Core i7 X 980 would you recommend a new motherboard or a SATA 3 card?
Thanks
Darryl

I don't think there are any PCIe expansion cards yet that feature the new Marvell controller so you would have to buy a new motherboard.

Well, I'm having serious hassles.
I bought and installed the Gigabyte Sniper motherboard and installed the new SSD but using the SATA 3 port and SATA 3 cable, it only sees the SSD intermittently.
Using SATA 2 it performs perfectly each time so I'll have to wait until Monday to contact Gigabyte tech support.
No PC until then (not happy)!
Darryl

Gigabyte Taiwan have told me I need to update the firmware on the OCZ (which I'm currently using as SATA2).

As I've been without a PC for about ten days I'll only be able to do this in about a week and I'll report back.

This just gets worse and worse.
Having received instructions to upgrade the OCZ firmware to the latest version, I downloaded it and set up for the upgrade.
Upon commencement a message appeared that I couldn't upgrade from the version on the SSD to the latest version.
I assume this means that I have to upgrade first to an interim version but they've removed all other versions from the OCZ website!
The local distributor has no idea what to do so I've had to email OCZ in the USA to ask for advice.
I really, really regret having bought this SSD.

Although this is not a support thread but you continue to use it as one anyway I will weigh in here.

How is the drive configured? How have you set the SATA port up in the BIOS?

Yes I have thanks Steve.

My apologies for using this thread as a support thread and I'll stop if you want me to?
The only justification I have for using it is, that this thread/article was my sole and only reason for buying the drive. I am using other forums now but I thought it appropriate that other readers don't fall into the same trap that I have without knowing the hassles.

Regards
Darryl

So how have you configured the port in the BIOS?

Have you tried using the Marvell 88SE9182 controller?

Also are you using IDE or AHCI?

I have the Gigabyte Sniper and I have had no issues using pre-production and production versions of the Vertex 3 with it. The drives all have initial release firmware, as does the motherboard.

Darrylp you need to do a bit more research and trouble shooting before blaming OCZ or Gigabyte.

I assume when you say you are trying to use SATA 6Gb/s you are using the white ports? They are connected to the Marvell controller and therefore you need to configure it in the BIOS. You need to set it to AHCI mode

I don't but if you read the Gigabyte manual which is available online it will show you how to enabled AHCI. Otherwise you will been a professional to set it up for you.

Ok Steve I think I'm getting somewhere.

As I'm running two SATA 2 drives in RAID 1 as storage I think this is part of the problem.

Must I purchase a PCI RAID controller card to continue running the RAID 1 setup if I'm using AHCI with this board?

Can you please explain your entire setup. What do you have plugged into which ports?

As I've a meeting now and have to leave I'll have to reopen the entire setup later today/tonight and get back to you but I really appreciate your help.

NBG

Followed your suggestions precisely i.e SATA 3 cable to white motherboard socket, BIOS changed to AHCI and the minute Windows started loading - Blue screen!

I even disconnected the RAID drives completely and it still wouldn’t load.

I actually don’t know what to try next although Gigabyte say I've got to get a SSD with the latest firmware so I need Version 2.06 and not Version 2.02 which is what I've got currently and apparently it cannot be upgraded

have you tried installing Windows on the drive again? You cannot install windows on a drive set to IDE and then change the mode to RAID or AHCI, it will blue screen. Alternatively you cannot install windows using the RAID mode and then use AHCI, it will blue screen.

So you need to set the drive to AHCI and then install windows.

Also make sure you are setting AHCI on the Marvell ports and not the ICH south bridge.

No I haven't Steve.

I will try this but as I use the PC for business all the time, that's a big job to reinstall all my software again so it’ll have to wait a few days.

Thanks once again for your suggestions.

How was the drive configured when you installed Windows? IDE, AHCI or RAID? And was it on the ICH south bridge or the Marvell?

Yes it Blue-screens and if I can change the Windows install from the registry that'll be great but will the applications all be good?

Have to go as I'm getting noise from my wife but thanks again.

Regards

Darryl

Back