OCZ Vertex 5 solid state drive expected to launch next month (update)

By Shawn Knight
Apr 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Update: OCZ has confirmed the existence of a new solid state drive in the pipeline that will utilize an updated version of the Barefoot 3 controller alongside 20-nanometer NAND flash. The name of the new drive as well as the...

Read more
  2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Good stuff. SSDs have reached the max in terms of speeds. All what needs to improve now is reliability.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,376

Funny, I was about to say the exact opposite. The reliability of SSD-s is quite good these days, but SATA-3 is the main bottleneck for the speed now, soon to be removed by SATA Express.
  4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

Capacity/$ is the biggest hurdle atm.
  5. Jad Chaar

That is what I meant. I guess I have too be extra specific here lol (nothing intended) :D.
  6. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,376

The competition will take care of this in due course.
  7. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 428   +44

Man I hope their financials have improved - Got a Vertex 4 myself - it's a thing of beauty.
    one thing I would like to see from OCZ is a nice Toolbox like Intel and (I think it is) Samsung have to check that everything is happy on your drive.
    ATM they just have a firmware updater.

Plus, that Vector is a BEAST :) Just imagine anything faster than a Vector?!
  8. Jad Chaar

The Samsung 840 Pro series is faster on paper, but in benchmarks it isnt so. I think they just need to further flatten out the firmware. Too bad the last firmware they issued was just to fix a crashing issue. Also the 830 series never got any firmware updates.