TechSpot

OCZ Vertex 5 solid state drive expected to launch next month (update)

By Shawn Knight
Apr 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Update: OCZ has confirmed the existence of a new solid state drive in the pipeline that will utilize an updated version of the Barefoot 3 controller alongside 20-nanometer NAND flash. The name of the new drive as well as the...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

Good stuff. SSDs have reached the max in terms of speeds. All what needs to improve now is reliability.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,973   +587

Funny, I was about to say the exact opposite. The reliability of SSD-s is quite good these days, but SATA-3 is the main bottleneck for the speed now, soon to be removed by SATA Express.

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,374   +289

Capacity/$ is the biggest hurdle atm.

5. JC713

That is what I meant. I guess I have too be extra specific here lol (nothing intended) :D.

6. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,973   +587

The competition will take care of this in due course.

7. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 422   +42

Man I hope their financials have improved - Got a Vertex 4 myself - it's a thing of beauty.
    one thing I would like to see from OCZ is a nice Toolbox like Intel and (I think it is) Samsung have to check that everything is happy on your drive.
    ATM they just have a firmware updater.

Plus, that Vector is a BEAST :) Just imagine anything faster than a Vector?!

8. JC713

The Samsung 840 Pro series is faster on paper, but in benchmarks it isnt so. I think they just need to further flatten out the firmware. Too bad the last firmware they issued was just to fix a crashing issue. Also the 830 series never got any firmware updates.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.